Carstairs deadwax?!

Hi, I have a Carstairs It really hurts me girl. On the website it states there are two reissues, one seemingly official and one unofficial. However, both of these state that STERLING is scratched into the run-out groove.

My copy has CAR 001A and CAR 1B scratched on the respective sides and not Sterling. The 'Record' under the 'Red Coach' is straight instead of curved as well. 

I know it's not an expensive one but I'd like to know what version (if any) it is?! 

Thanks. 

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The only true original of this record is the Red Coach White Demo.  This has the word Sterling machine stamped into the runout groove.  

The 1970's demo bootlegs have the word Sterling scratched into the run out groove.  The Pink issues are legal represses made for the 1970's Northern Soul scene demand by Gene Redd Jr, the label owner.

The copy you describe with the word "Record" written in a straight line, instead of the usual curved shape is a recent/modern repress of the white demo.

Edited by D9 KTF
Social source share

I did not know that!

Always thought....as the story went, Mr Levine heard this as a new release in the states, and brought it back to the UK.

Meaning that it had a certain minor chart success in the states beforehand.

I had a pink issue, and always assumed it was an original.

How wrong one can be!

Ed

Social source share

There are several stories about this.  Ian levine say's he first heard it on the radio in Florida.  The radio station will have had the white demo. 

Another story is that it was found at John Andersons "Soul Bowl" at Kings Lynn. 

When the record was first played and made into a monster sound, there were no pink issue copies, only Red Coach White Demos made by GRT Chess who went into liquidation shortly after this release.

It was legally repressed/shipped to UK for the Nothern Scene on the familar pink issue Red Coach label by Red Lite (Gene Redd JR). There where loads of those pink issues in just about every selling box, for the price of a pressing, by 1976!

It never sold in the USA and looking back over the years, only white demos have been found or sold by USA dealers. You will be very hard pushed to find a pink issue in the States, unless one found it's way back there from the UK!

Edited by D9 KTF
Social source share

You learn something new every day! Levine is probably most famous for discovering that record!

Is this also the case with other red coach records, such as universal mind? I've had an issue and demo on that over the years.

Something fishy going on.

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello
Social source share

3 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

I did not know that!

Always thought....as the story went, Mr Levine heard this as a new release in the states, and brought it back to the UK.

Meaning that it had a certain minor chart success in the states beforehand.

I had a pink issue, and always assumed it was an original.

How wrong one can be!

Ed

It had no chart success, it was never issued for sale in the USA. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

You learn something new every day! Levine is probably most famous for discovering that record!

Is this also the case with other red coach records, such as universal mind? I've had an issue and demo on that over the years.

Ed

Most of the later releases on Red Coach, like Universal Mind, were normal releases for the USA market.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Ed

The Redd Coach distribution deal with Chess records ended so with no distribution for the Carstairs it would be pointless pressing it. The issues were done to order at a later date for the UK scene, not the US market. 

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Chalky said:

The Redd Coach distribution deal with Chess records ended so with no distribution for the Carstairs it would be pointless pressing it. The issues were done to order at a later date for the UK scene, not the US market. 

That's what I said earlier on this thread.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Chalky said:

Levine did hear it in the States but couldn’t get the radio station to part with it.  He got his copy from Soul Bowl. Its all documented if people care to do a bit of research. 

Any idea how John Anderson and / or colleagues came across the demos? Part of a job lot?

Did Mr Levine get many records from Soul Bowl? I thought he did his own record searching trips over the pond.

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!