Dreamgirls

Mandy

I see that Dreamgirls (supposedly based on The Supremes) is on T4 on Saturday only for half an hour ... has anyone seen this film yet (yes, probably loads of you ... but I do live in Stafford and we don't get anything until a year after everyone else!!!).

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I see that Dreamgirls (supposedly based on The Supremes) is on T4 on Saturday only for half an hour ... has anyone seen this film yet (yes, probably loads of you ... but I do live in Stafford and we don't get anything until a year after everyone else!!!).

got a dodgy DVD of it ,not watched it yet tho'

Bazza

Social source share

I've seen it. Thought it was great. If anyone cannot see the similarities with the Supremes or believes the audience is not meant to connect the film to the Supremes must be blind...and deaf!

I enjoyed every minute of it. Jennifer Husdon is outstanding.

I won't say anymore in case I spoil it for others.....ENJOY.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Only ever seen excerpts from when it was a play, heard Jennifer Holiday belting out"I'm telling you I'm not going"....Imagine my delight when I found it in Woolies 20p box thumbsup.gif:wicked:

Will be ending Fridays session with it .

Going to flicks next week with herself.

ATB

Tony

Edited by tonyp
Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I was at a Bafta screening followed by a Q&A with the Director and Jennifer Hudson who treated us all to an impropmto performance of 'And I'm Telling you.....' - What a voice!!

Not a bad movie unless you have a real aversion to musicals.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I saw the movie and I saw the play back in '81 and to me it takes away the magic that was originally in the play, despite awesome performances by Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson. Jamie Foxx delivers as well and made me hate him. :lol:

There was limited viewing in my area in the States and I had to go out of state to see it.

There is a similarity to the Supremes' image (costumes, album covers, Deana Jones' solo career, etc.), but as far as the lore and stories it's not them...

SPOILER ALERT!!

...If anybody can prove who Jimmy Early was (which many think is Marvin Gaye...laughable :lol: ), that Berry fathered a child with Flo, married Diana Ross, then lost his record company due to his payola schemes AND the Supremes got back together and lived happily ever after, I will definitely be indebted to them. whistling.gifwacko.gif:lol:

END SPOILER ALERT!!! :ohmy:blush.gif

Edited by Lady Maverick
Social source share

I got a copy 3 or 4 weeks ago and reviewed it on here, how quickly people forget laugh.gif doubt if I'll be able to find the review now but I was right about one thing...I said Jennifer Hudson should be Oscar nominated - and last week, she was!

Sorry Pete missed that..

Is this the version from the film or the single I got which is taken from the album of the stageplay?

and has any one got that album?

if so what's it like

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Guest niallcrowley

I saw it a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, though I'd read a lot about it beforehand and it didn't quite live up to my expectations. Probably the main weakness is the music - most of it's not great. Apart from 'And I'm telling you..' I can't remember too much. The clip of Jen Holliday and the original cast performing at the Tony Awards 81/82 on You Tube is stunning though. Maverick, was Jennifer Holiday performing when you saw the play? If so, how was she?

Social source share

I found that review I did a few weeks back...bear in mind I was watching off the first pirate copy that got out

Right well first I have to say I didn't know anything about this film, I wasn't familiar with the stage show so forgive me for stating the obvious. The story is a thinly disguised telling of the rise of The Supremes and in particular the ousting of the true talent (the Florence Ballard character) and the promotion of the lesser but more public-friendly face (the Diana Ross character). Eddie Murphy does a great job as a kind of Marvin Gaye/James Brown hybrid.

The copy I watched was a cam (filmed from the screen using a video camera) and usually these\are only average quality but the picture\was pretty good, the sound was muffled for some of the dialogue but the songs were excellent quality. The bonus about it being a cam this time though was the amazing reaction of the audience. To begin, you could hear mild applause after a song ended - unusual in itself - but when Jennifer Hudson performed what must surely be an oscar winning performance of And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going, it sounded as if the entire audience was giving it a standing ovation...it was if they were watching a live concert and not a movie.

I last saw Jennifer Hudson being unjustly eliminated from American Idol way too early about 3 years ago. She proves with this film that she is an absolute star and gives an awesome performance as Effie White, the girl kicked out of the group for being unreliable, overweight and moody (reasons for this become apparent).

I loved the recreation of the early 60's Detroit music and recording scene and the brilliant spoofing of various Supremes album covers and TV appearances...there's also an hilarious Jackson 5 parody which got a big laugh from the audience.

At the end of the day, I wasn't keen on a lot of the songs but the performances and choreography were fantastic throughout. I'd say definitely try to see this film if you get the chance, it'll make you laugh and possibly make you cry, like it did me. Though I had drunk half a bottle of bourbon by the end of the film. And why not.

Social source share

Guest niallcrowley

Excellent review Pete. Spot on I thought. I wrote a review for an online publication a couple of weeks ago, though it's not published yet, and it took me ages to get to the point. Having said that, I was more interested in fitting in as much as I could about about Jennifer Holliday than reviewing the film.

Social source share

Excellent review Pete. Spot on I thought. I wrote a review for an online publication a couple of weeks ago, though it's not published yet, and it took me ages to get to the point. Having said that, I was more interested in fitting in as much as I could about about Jennifer Holliday than reviewing the film.

I just write the first thing that comes in to my head and don't change it later because the first ideas are usually the best!

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Sorry Pete missed that..

Is this the version from the film or the single I got which is taken from the album of the stageplay?

and has any one got that album?

if so what's it like

ATB

Tony

I have both the 1981 Original Cast Special Edition CD (with a dreadful dance remix of Jennifer Holiday's AND I AM TELLING YOU I AM NOT GOING) and the Special Edition movie soundtrack. I am partial to the Original Cast, but the movie soundtrack is just as enjoyable. What surprised me is Eddie's vocal on I MEANT YOU NO HARM and PATIENCE...those alone will make you forget that forgetable but enjoyable PARTY ALL THE TIME from the 80s. Beyonce's LISTEN, Jamie's WHEN I FIRST SAW YOU, and Jennifer's AND I AM TELLING YOU are my favorites on there. I am not too keen on the duet on WHEN I FIRST SAW YOU which features Beyonce and Jamie. Worth purchasing if you like musicals like I do...I also happen to own WEST SIDE STORY, original movie cast. :ohmy::thumbsup:

I saw it a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, though I'd read a lot about it beforehand and it didn't quite live up to my expectations. Probably the main weakness is the music - most of it's not great. Apart from 'And I'm telling you..' I can't remember too much. The clip of Jen Holliday and the original cast performing at the Tony Awards 81/82 on You Tube is stunning though. Maverick, was Jennifer Holiday performing when you saw the play? If so, how was she?

Yes she was and truly amazing! I still get goosebumps and a tear in my eye when I hear AND I AM TELLING YOU...helped that my mum and I had GREAT seats!

DREAMGIRLS is getting another shot at Broadway very soon and I hope to see this revival...if any of you all are ever in the States, I would see the play...a whole different experience than a movie IMO. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I just write the first thing that comes in to my head and don't change it later because the first ideas are usually the best!

Yes...I see that! :thumbsup:laugh.gif:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Oops...forgot to mention LOVE YOU I DO...that is a must hear as well...features Jennifer Hudson and Anika Noni Rose's LORRELL LOVES JIMMY and her part in IT'S ALL OVER are not to be overlooked as well. Anika is a Tony Award winning actress and I have never seen her in performance, but her transition to the big screen is nothing to be taken lightly either.

Another thing...the dance mixes of ONE NIGHT ONLY and AND I'M TELLING YOU on the SE CD to the movie soundtrack are WAY better than on the original play. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Not long back from seeing it at the local Odeon. Not brilliant, but pretty good. Thought the two male leads were better than the three girls, if truth be known, and Ms. Hudson doesn't even come close to Ms. Holliday on 'the big number' IMO. (Actually none of them beat Chuck Jackson and Angie Stone's version, which I organised the first time release of in 2001, on the Sequel "Smooth Smooth Jackson" CD).

If you only go and see one film a year, you shouldn't make it this one. But having said that, it's not the worst film you'lll ever see. Should do great business on DVD, it's very much 'that' kind of movie...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

Saw it this week and really did not like it at all, songs were very average, storyline slow, predictable and boring and the singing dialogue bits drawn out and tortuous. Granted some of the vocals were of a high standard but the material was poor. Could,nt bear to watch it through to the end so switched it off after around an hour.

But hey, some seem to have enjoyed it!

Social source share

Guest niallcrowley

I suppose I had this unrealistic hope that if it was done right it might inspire some those fantastic young singers you see mainly on American Idol to see beyond contemporary R&B. It kills me to see such a waste of talent and drives me mad that none of them seems to have heard any soul singers other than Aretha Franklin. I always think that if they knew something of the tradition in which they were singing then we might develop some great new soul singers. I was particularly impressed by a little girl called Paris Bennet, who just seemed to have something of a soul singer about her, even though she was only 17. It turns out her granny was the lead singer of the Sounds of Blackness and other members of her family were singers too. As a result I think it made her a much better singer, rather than just raw talent. Unfortunately they all end up doing R&B/Mary J type stuff.

Social source share

well, i went to see the film last night and thought it was absolutley awful. one of the worst films i have ever seen. i just wanted to walk after 30 minutes it was that bad. there were people actually laughing out loud at the supposed 'sad bits'. i hated every minute of it!

don't see it is my advice.

pete, get back on the tablets mate - your brain is just slush :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

well, i went to see the film last night and thought it was absolutley awful. one of the worst films i have ever seen. i just wanted to walk after 30 minutes it was that bad. there were people actually laughing out loud at the supposed 'sad bits'. i hated every minute of it!

Shane

What did you expect, an in depth documentary on the Detroit recording scene of the 60's?

Social source share

Shane

I watched it the other night,I thought it was ok,ms hudson stole the film and rightly so,beyonce was...... well beyonce,I enjoyed it ,found it a bit touching at times,not bad at all,but if you want to see a good film about the motown scene,the temptations story is a great film,not to be missed

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

I watched it the other night,I thought it was ok,ms hudson stole the film and rightly so,beyonce was...... well beyonce,I enjoyed it ,found it a bit touching at times,not bad at all,but if you want to see a good film about the motown scene,the temptations story is a great film,not to be missed

Bazza

I didn't know Beyonce was in it when I watched it, having said that, I wouldn't be able to pick her out of an ID parade anyway.

Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

What did you expect, an in depth documentary on the Detroit recording scene of the 60's?

Pete, what I expected was an enjoyable film and some decent tunes, got neither.

Listening to your podcast as I write this, well done, great tracks and enjoyable, a few nice tracks I don,t recognise, would it be possible to have the artists shown, on whatever player is being used to listen with, rather than a recording number?

Thanks for posting it up.

Social source share

Pete, what I expected was an enjoyable film and some decent tunes, got neither.

Listening to your podcast as I write this, well done, great tracks and enjoyable, a few nice tracks I don,t recognise, would it be possible to have the artists shown, on whatever player is being used to listen with, rather than a recording number?

Thanks for posting it up.

To each his own, don't bother me if people didn't like it, I'm not the films producer, I thought it was great.

I don't know how to do that podcast thing, sorry, this was my first ever attempt. I think because it's all one long continuous track, it wouldn't be possible to add details of specific artists, but I don't know to be honest, it's all a bit experimental. But I could do you a track list if you like.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

WOW! That lady is fantastic. I always wanted to see the musical. I'd love to hear Miss Holliday singing some quality material.

...what's wrong with her version of D.J. Rogers' "Say You Love Me", then? If that's not quality then I don't know what is!

TONE

Social source share

not really. i am not one for minor details. i would have liked a more in depth storyline, characters and acting. i never felt happy or sad for the characters and you never felt like the film was based in another decade. the problem being also is the casting of beyonce imo. i think she did an ok job but she has an army of kids who adore her and therefore the film had to be a 12A which must have restricted the director. my other half said it was like a sesame street account of a 60s girl group! lol!

i suppose you could compare this film with the tina turner one a few years ago. now that was really good. this film came no way near. eddie murphy was a joke. he would have been good on one of those celebrity fame academy programmes tho.

ms hudson has a tremendous voice but how on earth can that be enough to be nominated for an oscar? i though the oscar were about acting of which she did very little.

duff film imo

shane

Social source share

we saw it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was dreadful. Shame as it started off really promising, the first 25 mins or so were great but soon it descended into dreary schmaltz with some shockingly bad songs. A real missed opportunity IMO. We actually turned it off after the second 'musical style' ballad came on, it was too painful.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I suppose I had this unrealistic hope that if it was done right it might inspire some those fantastic young singers you see mainly on American Idol to see beyond contemporary R&B. It kills me to see such a waste of talent and drives me mad that none of them seems to have heard any soul singers other than Aretha Franklin. I always think that if they knew something of the tradition in which they were singing then we might develop some great new soul singers. I was particularly impressed by a little girl called Paris Bennet, who just seemed to have something of a soul singer about her, even though she was only 17. It turns out her granny was the lead singer of the Sounds of Blackness and other members of her family were singers too. As a result I think it made her a much better singer, rather than just raw talent. Unfortunately they all end up doing R&B/Mary J type stuff.

Unfortunately, it's the market...image seems to be more important than the quality of the voice or recording. Now Mary J is up for a Grammy and I don't understand why...I saw her live a couple of times and she isn't a live singer...

Today's singers are all studio singers because once they get on the stage, it's all over.

Bazza

Yes! The Temptations movie is highly enjoyable! :thumbsup:

I didn't know Beyonce was in it when I watched it, having said that, I wouldn't be able to pick her out of an ID parade anyway.

Beyonce was barely in it and barely said anything! The only thing that made you realize she was in it was the song LISTEN. To me, the story line focused around Effie White and at times, Lorrell's relationship with Jimmy Early. If you saw the Golden Globes, she even showed up in a skin-tight gold dress with a plunging neckline...a frock I thought was in poor taste, especially considering how shapely she is. maybe to draw the attention away from Jennifer? :boxing:

To each his own, don't bother me if people didn't like it, I'm not the films producer, I thought it was great.

I don't know how to do that podcast thing, sorry, this was my first ever attempt. I think because it's all one long continuous track, it wouldn't be possible to add details of specific artists, but I don't know to be honest, it's all a bit experimental. But I could do you a track list if you like.

Hey Pete...I would do a playlist and post it somewhere here like on a blog...I have done that and when you go to my podcast page, the playlist is right under the link to the podcast. :thumbsup:

WOW! That lady is fantastic. I always wanted to see the musical. I'd love to hear Miss Holliday singing some quality material.

Jennifer has had some material...I will have to look up her discography, but I would recommend her gospel CD...she really tore it up! :shades:

Social source share

Hey Pete...I would do a playlist and post it somewhere here like on a blog...I have done that and when you go to my podcast page, the playlist is right under the link to the podcast. :thumbsup:

yeah the lists are up on the site and also in a couple of posts on soul source...I'm going to try an expriment later concerning getting titles and artists to show

Social source share

Musicals in this style worked about 50 years ago during the golden age of Hollywood the difference with the likes of 'Singing In The Rain' and possibly the last in this style 'West Side Story' are now considered classics and why? because there songs and production numbers were of a quality and became memorable in the first place and have stood the test of time entertaining many generations of people, i feel 'Dreamgirls' will soon be forgotton, be out on DVD pretty soon and straight into the discount bin.

'Dreamgirls' falls very short of becoming a classic musical as i feel the original stage production or at least the songs within were not strong enough to be made into a movie in the first place, 'Jonathan Ross' pretty much put me off when he was far from impressed on his 'Film 2007' show recently basically confirming that the songs were weak and did not reflect the period or the style of the inspired subject matter from the likes of Motown, Stax, Atlantic etc., i'd had enough after about ten minutes to be honest with you but gave it another half hour or so but the story as well as the songs were very shallow, had no depth or real emotion and lacked any Soul whatsoever and i pretty much knew what was coming despite not seeing the original stage production. I could see the stage version working far better than the movie as it was strung together 'narative' connecting each production number, again for this to work the songs need to be strong so despite the talents of Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx etc. this movie never gets out of the starting blocks. This style of movie musical is so dated which worked in the 40's and 50's but does not work in 2007 sorry.

The performances were ok but nothing special, i feel movies like 'The Five Heartbeats', 'The Temps' movie already mentioned, one based on fact and one on fiction are far better examples and reflect the mood and period far better than 'Dreamgirls', i feel this movie has been hyped to death which it needed as the end product falls well short by miles and is at best an average movie, if it is based or inspired by 'The Supremes' then why oh why not just make a bio picture on them in the first place instead of this watered down tinsel town version of a unique time in musical history, 'Dreamgirls' is sugar, not very sweet and lacks no spice at all, 'Gene Kelly' still makes me cry 'Dreamgirls' would make anyone walk out in the rain....sorry it's crap.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert