I don't know what Northern soul is.

2 hours ago, Mssoulie said:

This could be complicated.

If somebody had never heard of Northern Soul which record would you play them to describe what Northern soul is to you.

Mine would be ..

The Superlatives I Still love you.

Apologies if it's been done before.

Hugh...ktf

Hugh. I think we could all mention at least ten records that for us all epitomises this scene we love so much mate

ste

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Hugh. I think we could all mention at least ten records that for us all epitomises this scene we love so much mate

ste

Definitely Steve. But I was more thinking a tune that was more different to anything they'd heard before. So that they could say "o that's what Northern soul is". And maybe a little understanding of why us lot get excited just hearing the words. Northern soul.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

If I had to choose one song to typify 'Northern Soul' - bearing in mind it's not a music genre but a term that labels what was once upon a time a youth/underground culture - it would be this one. 

A purely subjective choice, of course.

Thanks Russ. Totally agree with what you say.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The thing is, that most of these listed are great stand alone soul records, even if not chart hits.

So we could be describing 'rare soul' 

Undoubtedly they also make up the playlists at a Northern soul night BUT what northern soul records would be precluded from a 'rare soul night'

Hence why I chose the flasher. Obviously it could be thousands of non rare soul records, but to define northern soul, it would really have to one of the most popular tunes. Interplay is another, or even Mr floods party is it needed to be vocal.

And thats that:)

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Mssoulie said:

This could be complicated.

If somebody had never heard of Northern Soul which record would you play them to describe what Northern soul is to you.

Mine would be ..

The Superlatives I Still love you.

Apologies if it's been done before.

Hugh...ktf

Where do you start for me there are so many awesome sounds.  Maybe

the tomangoes

Epitome of soul

the Salvadors

definitely Eddie Parker

or if you want to try to explain the scene let them watching living for the weekend the documentary from bbc

Edited by Greedy Mick
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

The thing is, that most of these listed are great stand alone soul records, even if not chart hits.

So we could be describing 'rare soul' 

Undoubtedly they also make up the playlists at a Northern soul night BUT what northern soul records would be precluded from a 'rare soul night'

Hence why I chose the flasher. Obviously it could be thousands of non rare soul records, but to define northern soul, it would really have to one of the most popular tunes. Interplay is another, or even Mr floods party is it needed to be vocal.

And thats that:)

Ed

Ed.  Would you describe Del Larks Job opening as rare soul or northern soul.  Because to me and I'm guessing most people it is northern soul ,rare soul wasn't even invented when it was first played 

But anyway back on topic.  Jerry Williams if you ask me . Epitome of sound.  You don't love me. Bobby Paris.  Night Owl along with my earlier selection.  It probably boils down to when you started out on this journey as to what your choices would be

Ste 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Here's a can of worms.  We could all pick one record but does that really work, eg some may pick instrumentals, which I tend to dislike, but is that a good introduction.  If I had to pick one i'd g with 'Tainted Love' as most people will know a different version, if they prefer that they will never get it, however anyone with a bit of soul will say ok, then you can start to increase their knowledge as the potential playlist yo would create for them will have all sorts of things on it.

The other worm in the room is the term 'Rare Soul' ie i'm sure there are some reading who consider themselves rare soul fans/collectors but would be turned off by some very rare Deep Soul or Modern Soul.  At the end of the day it has always just been Soul to me, some I love, some I like, that doesn't mean we have to agree as there is plenty out there.  However, to me anyone who buys something just because it is rare is an investor, but hey, 'to each his own'.

Ha ha...then we have to define rare soul.

In my humble opinion....its more about its distance from commercial chart soul, than value.

Yes, Eddie Parker, I'm Gone, ticks all the boxes...I'm Aware of that, but so does Love You Baby at a fraction of the price.

The debate goes on and on and on.

Ed

Social source share

1 minute ago, Tomangoes said:

In my humble opinion....its more about its distance from commercial chart soul, than value.

Yes, Eddie Parker, I'm Gone, ticks all the boxes...I'm Aware of that, but so does Love You Baby at a fraction of the price.

Ed

But they were all made to sell, not sit unheard??!!!

3 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Ed

Or is it commercial and the Whispers 'and the beat goes on'.................................

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

But they were all made to sell, not sit unheard??!!!

Or is it commercial and the Whispers 'and the beat goes on'.................................

I guess its the fact that you could hear the whispers and the beat goes on (I've got the lp!) At your local disco, but you could only hear the whispers, I can remember at a northern and/ or rare soul night.

I remember on the flyers for Samantha's for example, they listed the tunes you could hear there. 

After all it has always been a little bit about offering something unique and different whether its music, fashion, transport!

Ed

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

I guess its the fact that you could hear the whispers and the beat goes on (I've got the lp!) At your local disco, but you could only hear the whispers, I can remember at a northern and/ or rare soul night.

I remember on the flyers for Samantha's for example, they listed the tunes you could hear there. 

After all it has always been a little bit about offering something unique and different whether its music, fashion, transport!

Ed

Very true - but going back to the original question is the rare scene just the northern scene having moved forwards?

Social source share

1 minute ago, Len said:

......"Mate, what's this Northern Soul music you mention?"......

......."Well it's a broad church my friend.  You have traditional Northern Soul, Modern Soul that some traditional Northern Fans hated, and there was a bit of a back-lash from some I can tell you.  Then you have Mid-tempo soul, Deep Soul, Funky edged Northern, or is it Northern edge funk?  Not sure, I'll get back to you on that. Of course there's Rare Soul, even R'n'B is now played, which I don't like.. etc etc....."

"What are you on about? Forget it, you've put me right off!".......

:huh:

:D

Len :thumbsup:

You sticking to ABBA then Len 😂😂😂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just my personal opinion ok!

For many many years now I have denied all knowledge of Northern Soul.

It might be where I came from but I have happily left it behind me.

My tastes are so wide and varied in the black music genre that frankly I find Northern Soul as a term embarrassing.

Even today I have listened to certain podcasts where it reminds me that to too many people it really is just a dance track to which anybody can be the singer.No soulful content whatsoever.

Now I do have soulful records by white artists in my collection and I do frequent venues, but Northern Soul not a term for me thanks.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

You sticking to ABBA then Len 😂😂😂

Yes, along with Latin Soul - I didn't mention Latin Soul to my friend as I want The Latin Soul Scene to stay underground :elvis:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Classic Len.   You were missed at BVan last night, where does Motown sit🤣🤣🤣?   

Motown surely sits in Wilxys class from Detroit 

2 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Ste - maybe he has gone all Eurovision?

🤣🤣🤣. Nil poi 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Classic Len.   You were missed at BVan last night, where does Motown sit🤣🤣🤣?   

Motown isn't Northern Soul.....is it? :huh: :D

Yes, apologies for my absence from The Virtual Bury last night, but you clashed with 'The Eurovision Song Contest'. Why can't promotors communicate?! :pirate: :D

We as a family had a real hoot - My kids were spitting feathers at us Brits getting Nil poi! 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Wow, I thought I was being mischevious but Tricky has trumped me.  No Soulful Northern, I know of a lot that i'd happily kick into the North sea, but none soulful wow, or am I reading too much between the lines.  Need to put the kettle on to recover.  It is taking my mind of West Ham's match later though.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Very true - but going back to the original question is the rare scene just the northern scene having moved forwards?

I'd say probably not.

Upon my first all nighters at cleethorpes, I had got some new fred Perry t shirts.

I told my slightly older mate I was going to sew on some northern soul patches. He said, that's not a good idea...as you will be called a div...no such thing as northern soul...

I heeded his advice. Daunting decisions for a 14 year old...

There did seem to be a hesitancy to use the term northern soul. Maybe an East Coast thing.

However, today, it seems totally acceptable, it includes virtually every possible permutation of musical style that can be played.

The new direction for many is actually 'across the board' anything goes. Its all good.

Onviously there were some events claiming to be rare soul, which for sure I prefer to across the board, but accept im in a minority.

Ed

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Yes mate. The soul police have deemed it not PC to call it northern soul anymore.  As it was  originally called,  it was a broad church certainly in the 70,s when new releases ( modern ) by black or white artists where getting played alongside 60,s . What the difference now 60,s 70, 80, alongside new releases.  Still Northern soul.  Unless its played in the Midlands then its Midlands soul or Southern soul further south 🤔🤣😛

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Just now, Tricky said:

To Clarify.

Northern Soul to too many people includes anything poppy with a dance beat still.

Hence I distance myself from the term!

I get what you're saying Trev.  But what record would you play to me if I asked you what Northern Soul music was? Or would you refuse to do so?

P.s - I kinda like the term Northern Soul now :D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Tricky said:

To Clarify.

Northern Soul to too many people includes anything poppy with a dance beat still.

Hence I distance myself from the term!

Thanks for the clarification.

6 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Anyway.  Who really cares or gives a toss. What it's called.  I just want to listen to music I enjoy and hopefully very soon spend that time listening to that music with like minded people.  Talking bollocks just like this thread has developed into 

I agree Ste, just put a crossover playlist on, bloody good it is too.   Bloody hell another terminology!!!🤣🤣🤣

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Yes mate. The soul police have deemed it not PC to call it northern soul anymore.  As it was  originally called,  it was a broad church certainly in the 70,s when new releases ( modern ) by black or white artists where getting played alongside 60,s . What the difference now 60,s 70, 80, alongside new releases.  Still Northern soul.  Unless its played in the Midlands then its Midlands soul or Southern soul further south 🤔🤣😛

Ste - No its just soul down my way, well in my house at least!!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!