I don't know what Northern soul is.

Honestly it is just my personal opinion.

I am opinionated as anybody will tell you but I am not the Soul Police either.😅😂🤣

Started in 75 at Kettering Central Hall,St Ives and Peterborough so deffo not from up north so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Len

You have broken me mate.Without too much thought

Tomangoes.

Buster and Eddie

Happy Now 😂

Sorry if I’ve upset anyone.

Trev. No one got upset . Well I certainly didn't All harmless banter as far as I'm concerned.  Most of my comments where said firmly tongue in cheek just to be mischievous . Just because I can't be having fun at nighters at the moment,  As most people who know me will tell you . 

Anyway who are the soul police 🚔🤔.  Anyone care to admit to being a member , don't be shy. 😁

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Trev. No one got upset . Well I certainly didn't All harmless banter as far as I'm concerned.  Most of my comments where said firmly tongue in cheek just to be mischievous . Just because I can't be having fun at nighters at the moment,  As most people who know me will tell you . 

Anyway who are the soul police 🚔🤔.  Anyone care to admit to being a member , don't be shy. 😁

Ste not sure which label are they on?

Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Ed.  Would you describe Del Larks Job opening as rare soul or northern soul.  Because to me and I'm guessing most people it is northern soul ,rare soul wasn't even invented when it was first played 

But anyway back on topic.  Jerry Williams if you ask me . Epitome of sound.  You don't love me. Bobby Paris.  Night Owl along with my earlier selection.  It probably boils down to when you started out on this journey as to what your choices would be

Ste 

Exactly right...it will all depend when you caught the bug !

And it would appear that for most of us making the (serious) comments The Torch seems to be near or at the top of the list, oh and add Frankie B and the Butlers "If that`s what you wanted" as my pick to the list

Edited by Petesi
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Petesi said:

Exactly right...it will all depend when you caught the bug !

And it would appear that for most of us making the comments The Torch seems to be near or at the top of the list.

Agree 💯% .

How very dare you.😁.    I'm way to young to have gone the  Torch 🔦.  Just look old enough to have been.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Agree 💯% .

How very dare you.😁.    I'm way to young to have gone the  Torch 🔦.  Just look old enough to have been.  

I sat out the back in late "72" and .......got to sneak in quite a few times  times having wandered up from the chippy round the corner scoffing chips, fish bits n gravy. Happy days and what a start to my journey. 

Roll on the Kings H in July .

Social source share

4 hours ago, Len said:

......"Mate, what's this Northern Soul music you mention?"......

......."Well it's a broad church my friend.  You have traditional Northern Soul, Modern Soul that some traditional Northern Fans hated, and there was a bit of a back-lash from some I can tell you.  Then you have Mid-tempo soul, Deep Soul, Funky edged Northern, or is it Northern edge funk?  Not sure, I'll get back to you on that. Of course there's Rare Soul, even R'n'B is now played, which I don't like.. etc etc....."

"What are you on about? Forget it, you've put me right off!".......

:huh:

:D

Len :thumbsup:

🤣🤣🤣 Perfect Len......

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Soulman58 said:

Wow, I thought I was being mischevious but Tricky has trumped me.  No Soulful Northern, I know of a lot that i'd happily kick into the North sea, but none soulful wow, or am I reading too much between the lines.  Need to put the kettle on to recover.  It is taking my mind of West Ham's match later though.

Looks like I'm deemed to be eternally embarrassed then....

Social source share

4 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Anyway.  Who really cares or gives a toss. What it's called.  I just want to listen to music I enjoy and hopefully very soon spend that time listening to that music with like minded people.  Talking bollocks just like this thread has developed into 

Haha just as I planned.🤣🤣like minded talking shite wearing big boys trousers.👍👍

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Look At Me - The Delettes -Blue Rock

Can't Lose My Head -George Blackwell -Smoke 

Loves Made A Connection -Tiaras -Seton

This Won't Change -Lester Tipton -La Beat

I Am Nothing -Al Williams -Labeat/ Palmer

What Happened To Yesterday - Mr Soul /Al Scott - Genuine

Ain't Nothing You Can Do - Joe Matthew's -Kool Kat

These go somewhere to me, to sum up a bit of Northern Soul!

Edited by D9 KTF
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

31 minutes ago, D9 KTF said:

Look At Me - The Delettes -Blue Rock

Can't Lose My Head -George Blackwell -Smoke 

Loves Made A Connection -Tiaras -Seton

This Won't Change -Lester Tipton -La Beat

What Happened To Yesterday - Mr Soul or Al Scott - Genuine

Ain't Nothing You Can Do - Joe Matthew's -Kool Kat

These go somewhere to me, to sum up a bit of Northern Soul!

Al  Williams , does it get any better 

fantastic tune 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Neil Austin said:

Al  Williams , does it get any better 

fantastic tune 

Neil. My favourite record of all time.  So so special,  regret not ever managing to own one Turned one down a few years ago because of the condition. I was tempted though because the price reflected the condition 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Northern Soul, probably named so because Dave Godin at the time, thought that because a few deejays played a certain style of uptempo dance music to a mostly young and chemically fuelled audience, in order to differentiate between the southern funkier disco dance style commercially available all over the country, so basically Northern Soul is anything really that was ignored by the media, for a while, not played in your local disco, radio station or youth club unless somebody saw a chance to exploit it,and they did, but to explain the style of music to someone who asks who doesn't know, at the time is was Uptempo Soul music very similar to the Tamla Motown sound of the sixties, but as we grew older it was the mid tempo soul music very similar to the Tamla Motown sound of the late sixties, as we grew older and more tolerant we flipped them and played the b-sides too and the odd album track thrown in as well, but really it doesn't exist as a music style,  but like minded Souls 

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Happy Feet said:

Northern Soul, probably named so because Dave Godin at the time, thought that because a few deejays played a certain style of uptempo dance music to a mostly young and chemically fuelled audience, in order to differentiate between the southern funkier disco dance style commercially available all over the country, so basically Northern Soul is anything really that was ignored by the media, for a while, not played in your local disco, radio station or youth club unless somebody saw a chance to exploit it,and they did, but to explain the style of music to someone who asks who doesn't know, at the time is was Uptempo Soul music very similar to the Tamla Motown sound of the sixties, but as we grew older it was the mid tempo soul music very similar to the Tamla Motown sound of the late sixties, as we grew older and more tolerant we flipped them and played the b-sides too and the odd album track thrown in as well, but really it doesn't exist as a music style,  but like minded Souls 

And your record would be????????

• Up vote 2
Social source share

A bit late to the question, however, there are many records that stood out amongst some absolute dross DJ's were pushing out to find the latest big sound at venues in the 70s but that is what was going on at that time.   The dross has been dropped, quite rightly and what is left is what defines Northern Soul to me.   Most have already been mentioned but the one that stood out to me and will always take be back to those halcyon days, sung with the passion I felt for the scene;

The Four Perfections - I'm Not Strong Enough

However, we will never get the Northern Soul Scene back as it was, it was more than the music.

Edited by Baldsoulie
forgot last bit
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

5 hours ago, Baldsoulie said:

A bit late to the question, however, there are many records that stood out amongst some absolute dross DJ's were pushing out to find the latest big sound at venues in the 70s but that is what was going on at that time.   The dross has been dropped, quite rightly and what is left is what defines Northern Soul to me.   Most have already been mentioned but the one that stood out to me and will always take be back to those halcyon days, sung with the passion I felt for the scene;

The Four Perfections - I'm Not Strong Enough

However, we will never get the Northern Soul Scene back as it was, it was more than the music.

Top tune. It was a toss up between that and The Superlatives..

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

Sorry forgot that bit twas late and getting moaned at, Edwin Starr,, Stop Her On Sight / I Have Faith In You Ric-tic or Polydor should do it, and 2 for the price of one, 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

There are some great call's here, Eddie Parker, del parks, top shouts, epitome and superlatives, Bah, too close to Motown to be definitively 'Northern'. The okeh's again, very apt. 

However, I think you've missed this. Definitely from way before my era, but from that galloping piano intro that seems as though it's about to topple over, Chuck takes us on a manic ride that can only mean one thing- Northern soul.

If you'd never heard it before, can you actually imagine that? it would literally blow your head clean off!

https://youtu.be/IjJ8OfeeNHw

• Up vote 3
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

There are some great call's here, Eddie Parker, del parks, top shouts, epitome and superlatives, Bah, too close to Motown to be definitively 'Northern'. The okeh's again, very apt. 

However, I think you've missed this. Definitely from way before my era, but from that galloping piano intro that seems as though it's about to topple over, Chuck takes us on a manic ride that can only mean one thing- Northern soul.

If you'd never heard it before, can you actually imagine that? it would literally blow your head clean off!

https://youtu.be/IjJ8OfeeNHw

Can't argue with that tune mate. But the Superlatives, nah can't agree with you there.  Although is alot of (northern) not really Motown anyway. Seeing as Northern Soul is a Scene that encompasses various music genres. !!!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 22/05/2021 at 20:16, Mssoulie said:

This could be complicated.

If somebody had never heard of Northern Soul which record would you play them to describe what Northern soul is to you.

Hugh...ktf

Hi Hugh, a good idea for discussion, so thanks for posting. It’s not that complicated really. I know this is all a bit hypothetical, but if this person is oblivious to Northern Soul, we should put them in an empty room and play them something poppy to see if they react positively - 5,000 Volts ‘I’m On Fire’ should do nicely. If they tap their feet, then see what their reaction to Dave Newman ‘Make Up Your Mind’ is. If they start humming, then play them the Specials ‘Everybody Say Yeah’. These two should show the ignoramus what the music is like without spinning some of the rarer, more exotic records mentioned earlier.

Edited by Frankie Crocker
typo
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Hi Hugh, a good idea for discussion, so thanks fir posting. It’s not that complicated really. I know this is all a bit hypothetical, but if this person is oblivious to Northern Soul, we should put them in an empty room and play them something poppy to see if they react positively - 5,000 Volts ‘I’m On Fire’ should do nicely. If they tap their feet, then see what their reaction to Dave Newman ‘Make Up Your Mind’ is. If they start humming, then play them the Specials ‘Everybody Say Yeah’. These two should show the ignoramus what the music is like without spinning some of the rarer, more exotic records mentioned earlier.

Just take them to an across the board, anything goes, just pay the entrance fee night, and they will very likely here those 3 in that order.

Its all good init.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 23/05/2021 at 19:56, Winsford Soul said:

Neil. My favourite record of all time.  So so special,  regret not ever managing to own one Turned one down a few years ago because of the condition. I was tempted though because the price reflected the condition 

I would love to own one , only ever saw

one copy and it was £2500 then , few 

years ago , just two expensive.

my second favourite tune is the masqueraders do you love me baby 

another slice of magic 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Neil Austin said:

another slice of magic 

Masqueraders. First six notes and I was hooked. Wow what a tune.......

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Just now, Neil Austin said:

another slice of magic 

£1600 to me mate when the price was £2500 but turned it down unfortunately because of the condition , even that cheap I couldn't bring myself to buy it. Played fine though. Like the Jimmy Bo Horne on another thread I do remember it when it was in the £100,s price but I couldn't afford it then with two young kids. 

Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

£1600 to me mate when the price was £2500 but turned it down unfortunately because of the condition , even that cheap I couldn't bring myself to buy it. Played fine though. Like the Jimmy Bo Horne on another thread I do remember it when it was in the £100,s price but I couldn't afford it then with two young kids. 

Ah kids Steve 

got three myself , fortunately they love

the vinyl and have caught the bug too 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

To me it has to have all the ingredients ie a driving beat chocka bloc full of soul with loud brass and harmonies  and the intro that makes you run to the dance floor .

The Mello Souls comes to mind so does Walter and the Admirations I’d also put Jesse James love is alright in this category . 

Some great records mentioned from a certain period in particular that have in many respects stood the test of time deffo the Tomangoes but the three above would still get me rushing to the floor, the others would not ! 

Butches masqueraders  cover up is brilliant also it pisses most of the records mentioned imho . 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Jeffers said:

Eyup Hugh, how yer doing mate, got to be The Ringleaders, Baby what has happened, top track, polished some dance floors to that one while out with you and Dale, cheers pal. 

Now then me old mate, hope you are keeping well buddy.

Top tune . We all need to be out and about again soon .

Stay safe Jeff. Hopefully see you soon.

XX that's for Bev. Honest. 🤣👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!