Jimmie Bo Horne

6 hours ago, Jnixon said:

People pay millions for vases where you can buy similarly functional items at the charity shop for peanuts. 

It goes on everywhere with everything from fishing reels to model cars vases and millions of other things.

If you want to get your mind properly blown think about cryptos. 

Big tune makes big bucks shouldn’t really be a surprise on a record board devoted to soul music should it? 

I agree. But when you take a step back and take a good look at all this. It's completely bonkers! 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, John A said:

I agree. But when you take a step back and take a good look at all this. It's completely bonkers! 

Yeah I guess maybe but it depends on your purview. Paying 46000 quid essentially for a computer generated file is much more mad but it going on wholesale. 

Records is records and you actually get something. Yeah thought I’d hit the jackpot selling mine for 3000 quid but wtf do I know!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Condition. Condition. Condition. Sure, the figure was a surprise given an inferior copy went for about 2K a week or so ago. This copy was one of the best to appear on the open market. Evidently there were two keen bidders willing to go to war for this trophy piece. It is a true floor-filler and a record any top-flight DJ needs in their box. For those with money in the bank, it was probably a small outlay that could give 20 years of pleasure.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

44 minutes ago, Julianb said:

I was told by a US seller that they only charge VAT if the sale price is below £135. Not sure if this is the case. Does anyone know differently?

That would mean anything over $180 would be VAT free!!! really 🤯 I've bought (recently) well over $180 and still been charged VAT by eBay.

Social source share

Frankly if the buyer was in the UK, they would be better waiting until they can fly over and pick it up. VAT and import duty on $10k = c. £1,600 isn't it? Hopefully they won't be asking the seller to put a $5 value on the package LOL or moaning about £8 P.O handling fees 😉 . 

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I wont comment on the price as Ive made a fool of myself too many times on the John Manship auction thread, but this 45 brings back happy memories for me, met my wife Liza at the 100 club, and Mick Smith played this just before we hooked up...  may never own a copy, but hey what the hell...

great track 🙂

• Up vote 3
Social source share

22 hours ago, Oldsoulman said:

And as if by magic another one turns up for £7400, on Discogs. 

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1480168837?ev=bp_img

Thanks for spotting and posting. Interestingly, the Discogs image has the release number on the right whilst the eBay image has it on the left. This suggests there were two pressings of the record (or contemporary releases from two pressing plants).

I had the eBay record in my Watch List - 21 bidders made 44 bids with the winner staking $10,099.00 ie £7,132.82. The winner had a Feedback Rating of 12,670 (with a nice yellow star) and was therefore a huge buyer-dealer but not on the corporate level like Craig Moerer or carolinasoul.

The Discogs record is in mint condition so appreciably better than the one sold on eBay but for just a few hundred pounds more. 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Thanks for spotting and posting. Interestingly, the Discogs image has the release number on the right whilst the eBay image has it on the left. This suggests there were two pressings of the record (or contemporary releases from two pressing plants).

I had the eBay record in my Watch List - 21 bidders made 44 bids with the winner staking $10,099.00 ie £7,132.82. The winner had a Feedback Rating of 12,670 (with a nice yellow star) and was therefore a huge buyer-dealer but not on the corporate level like Craig Moerer or carolinasoul.

The Discogs record is in mint condition so appreciably better than the one sold on eBay but for just a few hundred pounds more. 

Not sure he has to be a huge buyer- dealer. When ebay had more transparency there was a chap who not only purchased rare soul but rare expensive art ie oil piantings etc, he had telephone number feedback. Fantastic anthem of a soul record for sure, but like so many other titles that several collectors have it would appear they do not need to be a less than ten known copy 45 to fetch over £2000. I can only see more amazing prices for records that in reality have had at least 25 plus owners in the uk for years, but they are the keepers and not the ones every man and his dog takes a turn to own. I wonder if he did find it together with all those Jamaican titles he was selling?, can't beat a good story.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Still Diggin said:

Not sure he has to be a huge buyer- dealer. When ebay had more transparency there was a chap who not only purchased rare soul but rare expensive art ie oil piantings etc, he had telephone number feedback. Fantastic anthem of a soul record for sure, but like so many other titles that several collectors have it would appear they do not need to be a less than ten known copy 45 to fetch over £2000. I can only see more amazing prices for records that in reality have had at least 25 plus owners in the uk for years, but they are the keepers and not the ones every man and his dog takes a turn to own. I wonder if he did find it together with all those Jamaican titles he was selling?, can't beat a good story.

A five-figure Feedback Rating is pretty huge in my books. I’ve only got a three figure rating for 20 years buying, mainly records but plenty of other items also. A lot of the expensive rare records seem to go to collectors with four figure ratings, evidently very regular buyers over a long period. I always leave feedback for sellers I buy from but my rating only creeps up despite the numerous purchases I make.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

A five-figure Feedback Rating is pretty huge in my books. I’ve only got a three figure rating for 20 years buying, mainly records but plenty of other items also. A lot of the expensive rare records seem to go to collectors with four figure ratings, evidently very regular buyers over a long period. I always leave feedback for sellers I buy from but my rating only creeps up despite the numerous purchases I make.

A five figure feedback is pretty huge for sure. However the point I was making is it does not mean they are just collecting soul 45's. Some people just buy pretty much all their goods apart from food on ebay.I agree, it makes good sense to remember the feedback. I know some sellers dont bother, but you would think it's in their best interest.

Social source share

On 24/05/2021 at 17:49, Julianb said:

I was told by a US seller that they only charge VAT if the sale price is below £135. Not sure if this is the case. Does anyone know differently?

i think thats correct

On 24/05/2021 at 08:25, Julianb said:

$10099 - FFS. When will this madness end?☹

worth every penny 😁

Social source share

37 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Whilst on the subject of a great miami soul record,i wonder what a copy of Helen Smith - The pot cant talk about the kettle would fetch. Also wrote by Willie Clarke. 

Never even seen one of them! Is it same label as arin demain?

Social source share

I was chatting to the postie yesterday. He was moaning about the price of old footy programmes (which he collects) and how the prices have suddenly gone mad and he isn't winning any. We agreed it was a lockdown phenomenon, but I told him the world of rare soul hadn't seen any price inflation at all. LOL.

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Martin Phillips said:

There was a copy of It's Better to Cry by The Appreciations issue copy on Discogs last night apparently,must have been listed very late probably from America but it had sold seemingly by early this morning.Price $3750 if I remember correctly!

last one a couple of months ago also sold for a similar amount on discogs

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Yes it was a bargain,this i a very scarce record.However the demand for it is not there,which is a pity as its a top draw. 

probably would go for £1000 to 1200 if listed over here.. i nearly bought one a lot cheaper about 5 years ago from the usa.. seller had a change of heart 🙄

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

probably would go for £1000 to 1200 if listed over here.. i nearly bought one a lot cheaper about 5 years ago from the usa.. seller had a change of heart 🙄

Yes,i think you are about right Dave.I would love to own a copy,willie clarke was a great writer and when he got with clarence reid they wrote some fantastic songs. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

On the grand scheme of things this was a flippin bargain!

Probably her best 45 but even then you have to have a very acquired taste, I believe, to like the record.. agree on it's rarity and only ever seen two copies - but then is it a case of it's rare 'cos never sold ?? despite it being pressed in limited numbers.. Whilst on this tangent I may as well add to the mix that in my opinion the hardest disc from the Clarke/Pearsall stable has to be the acetate of the unissued (until recently) Snoopy Dean's 'Your Love Won't Let Me Leave'.. apparently it magically disappeared whilst in the possession of it's then custodian(s) !! Anyway, sorry to go off topic.. but it's Wheelsville1's fault 🤣

Edited by Ficklefingers
spelling
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Yes,i think you are about right Dave.I would love to own a copy,willie clarke was a great writer and when he got with clarence reid they wrote some fantastic songs. 

Have you tried Man From Soul ?? Certain they had a copy ??

And agree entirely about the output produced by the stable of associated labels.. some fantastic tunes and some very hard to come by 45's too

Edited by Ficklefingers
additional text
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Ficklefingers said:

Have you tried Man From Soul ?? Certain they had a copy ??

And agree entirely about the output produced by the stable of associated labels.. some fantastic tunes and some very hard to come by 45's too

Thanks John,i will have a look at Man From Soul. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, The Yank said:

The song was used in season 2 of "Mad Men" - 

Yes I was aware but the dance floors over here still don't know it and it would probably clear most dance floors.  "You Got To Do Your Share" another cracker by her.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!