Jimmie Bo Horne

2 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Yes I was aware but the dance floors over here still don't know it and it would probably clear most dance floors.  "You Got To Do Your Share" another cracker by her.

Yes it is another great one by her,she was known as the first lady of miami soul until Betty Wright came along. 

Social source share

On 25/05/2021 at 19:07, Frankie Crocker said:

Thanks for spotting and posting. Interestingly, the Discogs image has the release number on the right whilst the eBay image has it on the left. This suggests there were two pressings of the record (or contemporary releases from two pressing plants).

I had the eBay record in my Watch List - 21 bidders made 44 bids with the winner staking $10,099.00 ie £7,132.82. The winner had a Feedback Rating of 12,670 (with a nice yellow star) and was therefore a huge buyer-dealer but not on the corporate level like Craig Moerer or carolinasoul.

The Discogs record is in mint condition so appreciably better than the one sold on eBay but for just a few hundred pounds more. 

Would be nice to know if it was a different pressing plant (surely not a re-issue ?) and very very well spotted

Wonder what the matrix details are on both versions to compare ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Would be nice to know if it was a different pressing plant (surely not a re-issue ?) and very very well spotted

Wonder what the matrix details are on both versions to compare ?

the plates are the same ..just a slightly different layout.. mine has the sherlyn on the right

• Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Does it imply that one is a repress though, with the label being different ? 😀

of course not.. that would be a crazymans thoughts on  OVO and theres as lot of that about

not that i`m suggesting for for one moment that you are crazy. just a label variant

Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Does it imply that one is a repress though, with the label being different ? 😀

No it doesn’t and you know that as well.  Every big seller is pressed in batches, they simply don’t press 10.000s at a time. Its simply another run.

Besides no one knows which was first. 

Social source share

48 minutes ago, Chalky said:

No it doesn’t and you know that as well.  Every big seller is pressed in batches, they simply don’t press 10.000s at a time. Its simply another run.

Besides no one knows which was first. 

I don't know that at all, as I assumed different records "could" be pressed in different batches and numbers and maybe at different plants and possibly at different times.

Another run with different labels (I don't see why it would have been altered) possibly would make one of them (I agree we don't know which one yet was the chicken or the egg) a repress if within 18 months and any later a re-issue.

What intrigues me is that the record is very rare and yet 2 different label designs were used and I thought I would ask, as it seems to me that it may be a little more common than I thought, or perhaps just a small batch of each.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I don't know that at all, as I assumed different records "could" be pressed in different batches and numbers and maybe at different plants and possibly at different times.

Another run with different labels (I don't see why it would have been altered) possibly would make one of them (I agree we don't know which one yet was the chicken or the egg) a repress if within 18 months and any later a re-issue.

What intrigues me is that the record is very rare and yet 2 different label designs were used and I thought I would ask, as it seems to me that it may be a little more common than I thought, or perhaps just a small batch of each.

even some of the rarest have different presses..admirations on peaches, professionals, ivories tho thats not that rare..they would press a few more up to meet local demand using what they had..perish the thought that when they broke out of that city or even the state..thats when they were have to get the bigger boy in to distribute and take over the proceedings

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

The label was probably changed as they didn’t have the original artwork?  Maybe it was another plant who simply laid the design out differently  

If something sells you do another run, thats how all releases are done including number ones, pressed to demand  

Its rare, I wouldn’t say very rare, just not obtainable as it is a keeper. 

Also a reissue would be done from new master. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Yes it is another great one by her,she was known as the first lady of miami soul until Betty Wright came along. 

and why the label partners fell out.. Betty could definitely sing, whereas some would question the vocal capabilities of Helene.. Mr Clarke wanted to record Betty and not Helene.. One small problem - Helene was also Mrs Pearsall !!

Social source share

Gary Cape had a batch.

Started off at £7 or £8 if I remember.A few were bought in town.

A mate tried to sell me his for £14 and I told him where to go.

I wanted the record but he wasn’t profiting from me after a week.

True story 😳

Social source share

2 hours ago, Ficklefingers said:

and why the label partners fell out.. Betty could definitely sing, whereas some would question the vocal capabilities of Helene.. Mr Clarke wanted to record Betty and not Helene.. One small problem - Helene was also Mrs Pearsall !!

I wasn't aware of that John,they were both great singers in there own right.When listening to Helens songs i don't know why they questioned her capabilities at all. 

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Gary Cape had a batch.

Started off at £7 or £8 if I remember.A few were bought in town.

A mate tried to sell me his for £14 and I told him where to go.

I wanted the record but he wasn’t profiting from me after a week.

True story 😳

Garry and John A had a 100. They did a deal with a distributor for T.K. Stock but had to take a 100 count of every record not just what they wanted. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

17 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

You also have to remember that one set of stampers is only good  for a 1000 presses give or take.  So one acetate creates a father from which several mother are created and from the mothers you get the daughters which are the stampers, I think thats the process from memory.  All stages will wear before the whole process is started again, if you sell enough records. 

from one acetate, two mothers would have been created minimum from which you get at least two sets of offspring, one for each side.  That would be your two runs. One set of off spring for each plant if there was two plants or the two individual runs. 

it could also  be just one run with two sets of labels. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Thanks 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

You also have to remember that one set of stampers is only good  for a 1000 presses give or take.  So one acetate creates a father from which several mother are created and from the mothers you get the daughters which are the stampers, I think thats the process from memory.  All stages will wear before the whole process is started again, if you sell enough records. 

from one acetate, two mothers would have been created minimum from which you get at least two sets of offspring, one for each side.  That would be your two runs. One set of off spring for each plant if there was two plants or the two individual runs. 

it could also  be just one run with two sets of labels. 

It would be nice for someone who owns them to let us have the matrix images for each label and that will prove it

I see a Swedish Discographer has added the other label on Discogs

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

It would be nice for someone who owns them to let us have the matrix images for each label and that will prove it

I see a Swedish Discographer has added the other label on Discogs

everything is the same on both variations,, sebastian on here added the other variant to discogs.. my brother and i have been aware of it for nigh on 20 years..didnt think it was any big deal

Edited by Dave Pinch
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

36 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

everything is the same on both variations,, sebastian on here added the other variant to discogs.. my brother and i have been aware of it for nigh on 20 years..didnt think it was any big deal

I have spent a lifetime seeing obvious things that others didn’t see and others have spent a lifetime seeing obvious things I never saw. 😀

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!