“Thought for the Day”

Posted

“Dippers or Bin Dippers”

It’s a somewhat derogatory term referring to the poverty experienced in Liverpool during the 70’s and 80’s, and the prospect of looking in rubbish bins for food or anything of value. This is likely to have taken place amongst the burgeoning homeless population that emerged in the 1970’s and 1980’s, due to national economic policies and militancy that all but destroyed the city

In 2019 - Trevor Sinclair apologises to furious Liverpool fans for 'bin dippers' tweet mocking poverty on Merseyside - as ex-Man City star says he'll donate his talkSPORT pundit fee to homeless charity. 

“Thought for the day”

2021 , should it go unchallenged ? 

Should we sit back and take it for a bit of harmless, so called footy banter between mates of a certain age ? 

Should forum users know better now, or should moderators take steps to stamp it out when it rears it’s head ? 

Should people be more thick skinned and laugh things off ?

Or are we in danger of becoming so wrapped up in political correctness that we loose our sense of humour in all of this ? 

Could it be a mixture of all the above ?

Discuss .... 

—————————-

Or maybe you’d like to donate every time that expression is used 😜

https://www.shelter.org.uk/

https://www.crisis.org.uk/get-involved/donate/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyMHlp6Dp8AIVSrrVCh1chQ08EAAYASAAEgIUQPD_BwE

https://www.smitfc.org/one-off-donation/

——————————————————

Hat - coat - I’ve gone bin dipping as it’s been a hard week, but Dominic Cummings and David de Gea's made it better. 

9864CD60-9CE4-4BAD-A2AF-BF75B44839E7.jpeg

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 8
  • Views 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My personal opinion is the problem is there seems to be a never ending process of what offends people. As soon as one problem is addressed another layer beneath will be picked over until we will get t

I fully understand that buddy, coming from multi racial leicester i fully remember the vile chants we were subjected to in the 80s and 90s by opposition fans but thankfully we have come a long way sin

“Dippers or Bin Dippers” It’s a somewhat derogatory term referring to the poverty experienced in Liverpool during the 70’s and 80’s, and the prospect of looking in rubbish bins for food or anythi

Posted Images

Posted

Personally I find it the term unnecessary and if I was a Liverpudlian I would find it a little offensive.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I now avoid expressing political and moral opinion. The Brexit related debates on here proved the only common denominator most of us share is the music, and that gets tested quite often.

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

I now avoid expressing political and moral opinion. The Brexit related debates on here proved the only common denominator most of us share is the music, and that gets tested quite often.

Ed

I'm not sure if this subject is as complicated and divisive as Brexit but I respect your view Mr Ed....

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

My personal opinion is the problem is there seems to be a never ending process of what offends people. As soon as one problem is addressed another layer beneath will be picked over until we will get to the point where you cant open your mouth without offending someone somewhere. 

• Up vote 6
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

My personal opinion is the problem is there seems to be a never ending process of what offends people. As soon as one problem is addressed another layer beneath will be picked over until we will get to the point where you cant open your mouth without offending someone somewhere. 

I totally agree with you, some people do seem to be very quick to take offence at anything nowadays but in my opinion some "remarks" are just completely unnecessary and totally out of context.... 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 minute ago, Middleman said:

I totally agree with you, some people do seem to be very quick to take offence at anything nowadays but in my opinion some "remarks" are just completely unnecessary and totally out of context.... 

I fully understand that buddy, coming from multi racial leicester i fully remember the vile chants we were subjected to in the 80s and 90s by opposition fans but thankfully we have come a long way since then and taken down to a base level comedy and our sense of humour which are huge parts of our culure would simply disappear. 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Thought for the day.

After getting abused as a United fan all my life over Munich mostly from scousers and city fans .and it still goes on , just like Hillsborough abuse goes on, there's no escape from it , that is what happens on the terraces. Its life. . 

I find the word dipper quite charming actually but out of respect for Mike the owner of this site I don't use the words  what I really want to. 

So as a consequence of Steve bringing this subject up and out of my total respect for him  I will never mention the word dippers again and to make sure of that I will never be participating in any football threads on here ever again. 

Thanks Guys. Out of here. 

Ste

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Football shows the tribalistic side of human nature at its absolute worst imo. 

Just think, if your dad had started taking you to the 'other local team' as a kid, you would be loving them and hating your own team right now. Or if you just happened to grow up in another part of the country. 

And some of the hatred and vitriol fans dish out to the opposition is nothing short of sickening. I would question the intelligence and mental capacity of any (mature adult) fan from any team who stoops as low as joining in some of the gutter chants. 

Meanwhile the players are just mercenaries, who mostly play for the highest bidder.....

Do you really think they are that bothered if they lose a game as they drive off in their latest Mclaren/Ferrari/Lambo before moving on to a higher salary at Madrid/Barcelona/Milan... while the fans queue to catch the bus having splurged a good proportion of their disposable on a season ticket?

From the ones I deal with in a business capacity, they see their current club in a very different light to the fans. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

1. Thought For The Day
    All About The Soul by Andy Kempster on Fri 11 Jul 2008
    • 5 / 594
    • SteveJohnston on 11 Jul 2008
  2. Symbol 8 - I Thought You Wanted To Dance / Call Me (shock)
    Record Sales by Andreas B on Sat 12 Mar 2016
    • 1 / 1171
    • Andreas B on 12 Mar 2016
  3. Natural Four - I Thought You Were Mine
    Record Sales by 60ssoul on Fri 17 Apr 2015
    • 2 / 1750
    • 60ssoul on 30 Apr 2015
  4. Marie Knight- I Thought I Told You Not To Tell Them
    Record Wants by smallface on Sun 07 Mar 2010
    • 2 / 481
    • ezzie brown on 08 Mar 2010
  5. The Natural Four - I Thought You Were Mine (abc)
    Record Wants by Jules Winnfield on Thu 26 Mar 2015
    • 2 / 537
    • ockers on 26 Mar 2015