News: New Kent Cd - Stop The War - Vietnam Through The Eyes Of Black America 1965-1974

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

How could they leave off "Take Good Care" by Tony Mason, the 2 Players' cuts, "Just Remember Me" by The Creations, and Emanuel Lasky's "A Letter From Vietnam", and Mike Williams' "Lonely Soldier"?  I'm glad, at least, they have my favourite Vietnam song by The Pacesetters.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/05/2021 at 01:50, Robbk said:

How could they leave off "Take Good Care" by Tony Mason, the 2 Players' cuts, "Just Remember Me" by The Creations, and Emanuel Lasky's "A Letter From Vietnam", and Mike Williams' "Lonely Soldier"?  I'm glad, at least, they have my favourite Vietnam song by The Pacesetters.

Hi Robb,

Maybe you have an answer to this?

Discogs have linked Mike Williams to Jimmy Williams who were in a rock/beat group during 1965/6 called 'The Playboys Of Edinburg'. Later, the brothers formed a country outfit called 'The Younger Brothers'. As you can probably work out, these are white musicians. However, as Mike Williams also had a 45 out on 'King' which is a James Brown production, I have my doubts!

Begs the question: if Mike is a white guy... 'Vietnam Through The Eyes Of Black America'.??

Edited by Soul-slider
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Soul-slider said:

Hi Robb,

Discogs have linked Mike Williams to Jimmy Williams who were in a rock/beat group during 1965/6 called 'The Playboys Of Edinburg'. Later, the brothers formed a country outfit called 'The Younger Brothers'. As you can probably work out, these are white musicians. However, as Mike Williams also had a 45 out on 'King' which is a James Brown production, I have my doubts! 

Basically, what I'm saying is, if Mike Williams is a white guy could this be why he was left off this CD? 'Vietnam Through The Eyes Of Black America'. Just a thought.

is this a wind up ?

Mark aka @Thinksmarthas already said in the post above yours that tracks mentioned (which incude Mike Williams) have already been featured on other kents cd

plus a simple google search leads to this post on here from 2014 inc a photo of Mike Williams...

buck up please!

Edited by Mike
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

is this a wind up ?

Mark aka @Thinksmarthas already said in the post above that this release was  a triolgy and (tracks inc Mike Williams have already been featured)

plus a simple google search leads to this post on here from 2014 inc photo of Mike Williams...

buck up

OK, thank you. Apologies.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Soul-slider said:

OK, thank you. Apologies.

how many times is that now, have had to step in with your posts?

low quality posts like yours and others do damage topics like this 

just takes 5 seconds to do a quick search and confirm facts

maybe best if you do a bit more research before you post on here again

not impressed

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

This link between soul and the Vietnam War has musically been mined for probably twenty years since Greg Burgess' pioneering articles in 'In The Basement' & 'Record Collector' in 2001/2 so I do wonder if this third collection from ACE is a bit 'out of time'. 

For those that are interested Justin Brummer comprehensive and rather splendid Vietnam War: Soul, Gospel, & Funk Records website is still available and growing at:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/JBrummer/vietnam-war-soul-gospel-and-funk-records/

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!