How a record is made

4 hours ago, Chalky said:

For all those hung up on represses, originals, second issues.....even million sellers have lots of masters and represses.  

How original is the millionth press?

Thats very interesting imformative reading on record manufacture.

Regarding your question.  I think that the millionth press can be classed as an original, if it is part of the original promotion/ release. 

If the record is still on it's first release on small label or picked up for national release, but still being pushed by the record companies as a new release it's an original. (It helps if the artists are still together and hoping for a hit record).

An original to me is part of the original promotion/release of that song.

Edited by D9 KTF
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Chalky said:

For all those hung up on represses, originals, second issues.....even million sellers have lots of masters and represses.  

How original is the millionth press?

Some interesting reading into the process of making a record.

In a two-step process, the Father plate is converted into a stamper, and the Mother is shelved for future use. In a three step process, the Mother is plated to make the stamper plates.

One Father plate can produce 10 Mother plates, and one Mother can produce 10 stampers. Each stamper can produce about 1000 vinyl records. Therefore, a two-step process can produce a maximum of about 11,000 records before a remastering has to be done, and a three step process can produce up to about 100,000 vinyl records before remastering.

https://www.classic45s.com/why45s/process.html?fbclid=IwAR14LMhJHwozRe1SOY0pjzTsWr4r206tck0fPXRXO5MVQrD_ZfrEmgW5b6Y

Good intresting stuff that , never really thought about the process,really only the playing of the record.  Thanks for sharing.👍

Social source share

3 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Really interesting read, I assume those numbers are theory, can the stampers be pushed to make more copies? Does the sound deteriorate?

I can imagine some producers pushing those limits. 

The stampers wear, you might get more you might get less but wouldn’t be too far out either way.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, D9 KTF said:

Thats very interesting imformative reading on record manufacture.

Regarding your question.  I think that the millionth press can be classed as an original, if it is part of the original promotion/ release. 

If the record is still on it's first release on small label or picked up for national release, but still being pushed by the record companies as a new release it's an original. (It helps if the artists are still together and hoping for a hit record).

I agree of course it is original though it is a different master.  A three step process, if it equates to 100.000 discs, then 1.000.000 would be on the 10th master.

A release if kept on catalogue can be pressed for years.  Many even stayed on the charts for months and well over a year.  Until it is deleted or reissued with a different master number,, label etc then it will be original despite being a long time down the line. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I agree of course it is original though it is a different master.  A three step process, if it equates to 100.000 discs, then 1.000.000 would be on the 10th master.

A release if kept on catalogue can be pressed for years.  Many even stayed on the charts for months and well over a year.  Until it is deleted or reissued with a different master number,, label etc then it will be original despite being a long time down the line. 

A perfect example of that chalky is  Darrell Banks on uk stateside. It ran from 1966 to 1972 with the same catalogue number. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

A perfect example of that chalky is  Darrell Banks on uk stateside. It ran from 1966 to 1972 with the same catalogue number. 

I assume there is no way of definitively knowing where a certain record was pressed in the run?

Social source share

6 hours ago, D9 KTF said:

That's very interesting informative reading on record manufacture.

Lots of people's opinions differ from this to different degrees with one to several exceptions, but this is precisely my definition of "original pressing".

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!