News: Soul In Print - A History of Soul Fanzines and Magazines - New Book

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My copy arrived yesterday so I have had time to read and digest it's contents. I'm mightily impressed on it's thoroughness and scope. It's often a nostalgic read and bought back many memories of past fanzines and magazines. I have copies of some but far more have gone so to be reminded of them and in a well written way is something of a joy.

McCartney and his his co-helper Martin Scragg name 'There's the Beat' (Iain) and 'In The Basement' (Martin)  as their favourite 'glossies' of all time (Iain has 'In The Basement ' at no. 2  whilst Martin has 'There's the Beat' as his no: 5 ). My choice would be David Cole's 'In The Basement' as well. It was so well written and I have a complete set. 

Their favourite 'non glossies' are 'Shades of Soul' (Iain) and 'Soul Up North' (Martin). Impossible to argue against those choices I'd say.

As I say a fine piece of work well written and edited. Maybe a bit more about some of the writers - Cummins and Abbey get a mention but nothing on John Ridley aka. Sirshambling and London Fats or Steve Guarnori, two of my favourite contributors through the years. A lovely piece of work. Thanks.

PS. I'll add that I contributed regularly to 'In The Basement' so I am a tad biased.

Social source share

Thanks so much for your 'review' of the book. It was certainly a task putting it all together. More so in attempting to do a 'Top Five' or whatever, as I think I mentioned, every editor deserves praise for what he produced.  It was difficult to pick between 'Basement' and 'There's That Beat' for many different reasons. The former is a stand alone publication, but it was the latter that hypnotised me with its lay-out and images.  

Thanks again for buying the book and I am glad you enjoyed it. Regards, IAIN 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert