Do Big Name D.j's Really Attract The Crowds ?

John May

Been thinking about doing this topic for a while. There seems to be a beleif on the Northern Scene that putting a big name D.J on the Flyer attracts the crowds. O.K so Butch is god and can always put numbers on the door, but can the same also be said for other so called big names ?.

Social source share

• Replies 159
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Been thinking about doing this topic for a while.  There seems to be a beleif on the Northern Scene that putting a big name D.J on the Flyer attracts the crowds.  O.K so Butch is god and can always put numbers on the door, but can the same also be said for other so called big names  ?.

link

Individually, I'd have to say no. And that includes Butch. However, a combination of the right names will add numbers to the door at any event.

Social source share

Individually, I'd have to say no. And that includes Butch. However, a combination of the right names will add numbers to the door at any event.

==========

Agree with Dave on this, put a certain number of name DJs on a bill and you may swell numbers....but these days IMO for most it would also depend on what else is on (locally) and where your mates are going.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

link

have to agree with dave, if you want to attract travellers to a soul night/nighter you have to put at least one big name DJ on, very few people will travel a hour or two up the motorway just on the off chance that one of the DJ's will be good

(allthough Tracie and i have once or twice and we have both been pleasntly suprised)

.............Andrew

Social source share

Been thinking about doing this topic for a while.  There seems to be a beleif on the Northern Scene that putting a big name D.J on the Flyer attracts the crowds.  O.K so Butch is god and can always put numbers on the door, but can the same also be said for other so called big names  ?.

link

hi...ive had butch at my venue and as good as he is ive had bigger crowds supporting tim brown.

Social source share

This is not being facetious, but what exactly constitutes a "big name D.J."?

What are his / her characteristics (sounds, reputation, versiitlity etc) that make people get up and travel the lenght of the country for an hour of that D.J.'s "magic"?

============

If you/me/anyone was going to travel, the DJs reputation regarding the sounds in his box would probably be paramount.

Social source share

What are his / her characteristics (sounds, reputation, versiitlity etc) that make people get up and travel the lenght of the country for an hour of that D.J.'s "magic"?

link

Thanks for adding that Hippo, I was just going to add that myself. Where do you draw the line as to who is a big name, and who isn't. Also does the reputation depend on ability as a D.J or quality of music played ?. I must say without naming names and ruffling feathers there are a few so called big names who just don't do it for me, whereas there are a number of what I would call "B" list D.J's who I feel consistantly play awesome spot's.

Social source share

I think what makes a "big" name DJ has to be the right combination of semiknowns amongst quality oldies, the skill to play a "floading set" and the attitude and politic to put quality always before rarity. Further more he or she has to be a "(wo)man of value" and a book full of records he/she has found, played and broken. All IMHO only of course.

Marc

Social source share

Many of these 'big name dj's' are only big name dj's because they have enough money to buy any record they want. Therefore they are the only people with the records, that apparently makes them THE BEST. They aren't proper dj's, people who really know how to use the mike like RS and JV. And I am not referring to Kenny Burrell here cos I've heard him a few times and he's spot on.

I personally would never travel anywhere on the strength of who is on because it's no longer 1977 and so many records are available as cd's, mp3 etc, no need to travel. If I was travelling it would be to see mates. However I don't have any mates so I tend to stop in and watch X factor.

Social source share

Many of these 'big name dj's' are only big name dj's because they have enough money to buy any record they want.  Therefore they are the only people with the records, that apparently makes them THE BEST.  They aren't proper dj's, people who really know how to use the mike like RS and JV. And I am not referring to Kenny Burrell here cos I've heard him a few times and he's spot on.

I personally would never travel anywhere on the strength of who is on because it's no longer 1977 and so many records are available as cd's, mp3 etc, no need to travel.  If I was travelling it would be to see mates.  However I don't have any mates so I tend to stop in and watch X factor.

link

I'll be your mate, Pete, if you'll be mine and then we'll have one each!

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

A good big name DJ IMO is some one who reads the crowd and keeps the place buzzing and obviously has a good collection

John is also right, there are a loads of exellent smaller name dj,s out there playing fantastic sets week in week out

not being a DJ or ever wanting to be i some times think it must be extremely difficult and expensive for somebody starting out

............Andrew

Social source share

Many of these 'big name dj's' are only big name dj's because they have enough money to buy any record they want.  Therefore they are the only people with the records, that apparently makes them THE BEST.  They aren't proper dj's, people who really know how to use the mike like RS and JV. And I am not referring to Kenny Burrell here cos I've heard him a few times and he's spot on.

I personally would never travel anywhere on the strength of who is on because it's no longer 1977 and so many records are available as cd's, mp3 etc, no need to travel.  If I was travelling it would be to see mates.  However I don't have any mates so I tend to stop in and watch X factor.

link

In agreement there pete, good use of the mic' i would say is important, however, a recent topic on here about use of the mic' produced alot of heated debate, some members didn't seem to think it mattered.

Butch for example uses the mic to a minimum, and let's his records speak for themselves.

Over the last six month's here are a list of D.J's i've heard who really put good sets together

Cliff Steele, Nidge Mayfield, Andy Whitmore, Lenny Dopson, Dave Abbott, Rob Messer, Cookie, Rich Buckley, Brett Franklin, Jamie ( soulsville ) :D

None of these I would call top top D.J's although Cliff is always very good, and I would travel to venue's if I saw these D.J's names on flyers. So maybe a reputation is built on Quality or is that just what I personally look for.

Edited by JohnMay04
Social source share

Internet...well said indeed, in the millenium of internet, CD`s and what you have there isn`t the need to travel anywhere anymore to hear the same old classics that most tend to play day in day out...that´s why it is the mixture me thinks that makes a DJ worth- and maybe travelwhile...

If I would live in the UK I ould travel anywhere to hear certain DJs sounds...

Money...well said again. Thats why I said a a "big" name DJ has to be a "man of value". Personally I do rate somebody more (as a DJ) who discovers a nice quality soul disc or semiknown for say 10 USD and plays it than somebody who always pays near double prices just to secure the "big" sounds...

Marc

Social source share

link

Being completely facetious....

I'd say Carl Willingham has to be the biggest name DJ. 14 letters. Beat that !

Social source share

link

ah, you must have one mate? I watched x factor, I have some mates - I think - still?!!

Social source share

Nothing personal here, but:

"Have loved, have travelled for" -

Richard Searling

Martin Barnfarther

Blair Hayden

Adam Buccanhan

Robin Salter

Andy Rix

Gary Rushbrooke

Mark Dobson

Ian Clark

Ady Pountain

Pre-deepfunk Darge

"Loved, but not especially travelled for"-

Ady Croasdell

Mick Smith

Carl Fortnum

Dave Evison

Guy Hennigan

Gary Spencer

Marco

Max Rees

Simon Murrey

Dick Coombes

Then there's the,

"If encountered between my kitchen and front door types"

&

"They can travel and come and kiss my arse, lot "

I'll maybe populate later when back from the pub!

Social source share

Being completely facetious....

I'd say Carl Willingham has to be the biggest name DJ. 14 letters. Beat that !

link

The quality promoters are the only ones that count. Their experience and skill plus knowing who to hire generally deliver big numbers. Current crop of DJ's seem to have little know how and have their heads stuck in record boxes, something the punters generally don't like.

I can list you 10 guys who do the business week in week out. Sadly though, they would be shot down in flames if I named them.

Most talk up'collector big names' like Carl W and Butch(2 good friends of mine) but they are not the guys WHO DELIVER.

But then again that's probably why we attract bigger numbers with the team we use regularly.

New Century will hopefully agree, the promoter is everything these days. Due largely to the effort, funding and commitment.

Sorry to be harsh guys but facts are facts. I know its not what you want to hear.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

At Soul in the Sun this year there was a guy playing a set quite early in the evening and he was fantastic, my exact words were "f*** he's good"

he played some cracking stuff right accross the board,

i even asked him if he wanted to do a set at our next Soul Night, but he told me that wasn't a DJ (shame) :D

.................Andrew

Social source share

Over the last six month's here are a list of D.J's i've heard who really put good sets together

Cliff Steele, Nidge Mayfield, Andy Whitmore, Lenny Dopson, Dave Abbott, Rob Messer, Cookie, Rich Buckley  :D

None of these I would call top top D.J's although Cliff is always very good, and I would travel to venue's if I saw these D.J's names on flyers.  So maybe a reputation is built on Quality or is that just what I personally look for.

link

Be interesting to know which venues you've been to where you have heared these dj's. I guess all around the country the same could be said of dj's putting good sets together and the list of names mentioned will be different because of the different places we go to.

Gaye

Social source share

Good example here, Keele is on this saturday, and has a top notch line up, yet there are other nighters on also, some people will go to the other nighters......so not everyone is attracted by the cream.

=============

The Marrs has got Kenny B and Keith M on and they're no slouches :D

So some will probably opt for there. Just saying I know you weren't differentiating :shhh:

Social source share

Belive Keith isn't on now due to work commitments, neither is Sean Chapman. Chris King is standing in.

Also another niter at weston line up is

TERRY DAVIS

STEVE WHITTLE

MICK LLOYD

ROB MESSER

DES PARKER

MACE

NIGE SHAW

COOKIE

MARK THOMAS

KEN DUNN

Be interesting to see how many at each venue. Got friends going to 2 of them so who will get Christmas cards and who won't :D

Social source share

link

Dave Rimmer is right, it is down to the right combination, 30 years ago it was totally different, you could turn up and the majority had just come to hear the sounds you had. The longevity of the scene and CDs have killed that off!

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Also another niter at weston  line up is

TERRY DAVIS

STEVE WHITTLE

MICK LLOYD

ROB MESSER

DES PARKER

MACE

NIGE SHAW

COOKIE

MARK THOMAS

KEN DUNN

That's where the Valley Soul Commandos will be

Terry Davis & Steve Whittle are 2 exellent big name DJ's IMO

........Andrew

Social source share

This Saturday I'll be travelling from Oldham to Keele.I'm a lot closer to Goldbourne but with a quality line up like Keele's its worth the extra miles.So in answer to the original question - Do big name D.j's -this time for me they do.

Stamford :D

Social source share

This Saturday I'll be travelling from Oldham to Keele.I'm a lot closer to Goldbourne but with a quality line up like Keele's its worth the extra miles.So in answer to the original question - Do big name D.j's -this time for me they do.

Stamford  :D

link

winnie

off topic jump in

when posting , when adding bit . do your usual editing bit but don't delete the

[/QUOTE]

at bottom

that way it should display in a smarter way

Of course could be purposedly going for the rough look in which case ignore :shhh:

Social source share

think that it a lot depends on the event, as in style of northern and crowd

a few years ago, you could draw people from all over by being the only event on that night, nowadays you got to have something to draw them away from the multiude of local events that are available

one major part, depending on the event can be the dj line up

it certainly plays a part to me when choosing where to go

Social source share

The quality promoters are the only ones that count. Their experience and skill plus knowing who to hire generally deliver big numbers. Current crop of DJ's seem to have little know how and have their heads stuck in record boxes, something the punters generally don't like.

Sorry to be harsh guys but facts are facts. I know its not what you want to hear.

link

:D

Try promoting a night with no 'name DJs' then Kev.....

Go on I challenge you.....

I'd love to see you back your statement up by laying your reputation and your profits on the line.

I'd DJ for you, and if you made enough profit to pay me my meagre expenses, i'd donate any cash given to me to the charity of your choice.

WOOF!

Social source share

winnie

off topic jump in

when posting , when adding bit . do your usual editing bit but don't delete the

[/QUOTE]

at bottom

that way it should display in a smarter way

Of course could be purposedly going for the rough look in which case ignore :shhh:

link

=========

Just showing my usual ineptitude when sat in front of a keyboard Mike :D

Winnie;-)

Social source share

:D Interesting debate this one - in short some 'Big Names' will attract a few more through the door (Ginger always gets them in to the Plinston for example) but the right combination of DJ's will attract bigger numbers. I've had some on that have killed the place and others that have stood in at the last minute and really got the place rocking! It's a minefield and a delicate balancing act to get the art of promotion right.

That said I don't think Name DJ's are as essential as in the 70's/80's as people now, as Winnie stated, tend to go where their mates are going on the whole. Also, with the wealth of CD's etc available, travelling 100's of miles to hear exclusive tracks you cant hear anywhere else doesn't really happen that much these days (unless your travelling to see Butch or Soul Sam)

For me people like Hammie, Molly, Taffy, Lenny D, Fingers play blinding sets and yet are not considered, on the whole, to be Names. Hence the reason why I will be featuring more of them at the Plinston nextv year.

At the end of the day, as I always drone on about, it's the MUSIC that is paramount, everything else is window dressing :shhh:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

In recent years I have been enjoying sets by guys like John Weston, Ben Summers, Lenny Dopson and especially Marco Santucci. All IMO tend to worry more about the quality of the record, rather than whether its 'currently massive' or whatever genre it is supposed to fit in.

'Seriously Soulful' in London was exactly that. Serious!! 100%. Quality.

There are loads of Djs I could mention that I really enjoy listening to, but these 4 dont get nearly as much credit as I think they deserve, although John is beginning to get a lot more recognition.

Social source share

I'd like to add something for a smaller "scene", the one in Germany.

There are of course not so many soul events over here than in the UK, but it's also hard to keep a regular local night running, I try this for two and a half years now.

Our guest DJs are always from Germany, as I'm unable to pay an UK-DJ, and that attracts nobody but the local soul fans.

People are often more attracted by a big name DJ from the UK, and so am I.

I've travelled 500 kilometers for Terry Davis & Carl Willingham

300 kilometers for Dave Flynn

and I'll travel 600 kilometers for Butch in April

Also I did only travel 40 kilometers for Chris Anderton, John Mills, John Weston & Dave Rimmer, other soul fans travelled from 600 kilometers away.

By the way, I also think Dave Rimmer is a big name DJ, it's fantastic how he can get the dancefloor going, easiest job to have the set after him.And would he have so much bookings if he wasn't a big one?

Social source share

I have said before on this forum that so called big names can no longer make me or my mates travel..When you could onlyn see a certain dj play a few times a year then yes you would go out of you're way but not now,they play out every week and some do 2 or 3 venues in a weekend..Why go a great distance to see a dj who will be playing near you sometime soon...Views on hear will differ depending on who you are,Dexter just talks about size =quality all the time on here,thats his business but he won't get a lot of people on here in his camp because we can get our enjoyment among a crowd of 150 or less because our love for the music comes before profit..We are different animals..There are so many people out there now with great collections and i want to hear them,fresh faces will bring fresh sounds,thats what its like for me..I love to run the Ducie Bridge and give spots to people who have never had a chance to play at soul nights,they bring extra passion because someone gave them a chance..I and a lot of others know that these djs can compete with so called big names and they know it too...So at the end of the day the big promoters will not agree with others on here...I have had soul djs come from overseas and play to 1000 people and the next night they got to play in a small bar with just 30 people there,they told me that to play in that small bar and just play what they loved without playing washed out tunes was fantastic...I want passion from people i see out on the soul scene,big hearts not big wallets count for me...Keith Money,Butch,Carl Willingham are the 3 for me at the moment...

Social source share

I have said before on this forum that so called big names can no longer make me or my mates travel..When you could onlyn see a certain dj play a few times a year then yes you would go out of you're way but not now,they play out every week and some do 2 or 3 venues in a weekend..Why go a great distance to see a dj who will be playing near you sometime soon...Views on hear will differ depending on who you are,Dexter just talks about size =quality all the time on here,thats his business but he won't get a lot of people on here in his camp because we can get our enjoyment among a crowd of 150 or less because our love for the music comes before profit..We are different animals..There are so many people out there now with great collections and i want to hear them,fresh faces will bring fresh sounds,thats what its like for me..I love to run the Ducie Bridge and give spots to people who have never had a chance to play at soul nights,they bring extra passion because someone gave them a chance..I and a lot of others know that these djs can compete with so called big names and they know it too...So at the end of the day the big promoters will not agree with others on here...I have had soul djs come from overseas and play to 1000 people and the next night they got to play in a small bar with just 30 people there,they told me that to play in that small bar and just play what they loved without playing washed out tunes was fantastic...I want passion from people i see out on the soul scene,big hearts not big wallets count for me...Keith Money,Butch,Carl Willingham are the 3 for me at the moment...

link

Also....John Weston...

Social source share

I have seen John play a great crossover/modern set at the Monkey and he was top quality..john like Keith Money and a few more are very good djs and punters,they support the dancefloor and that i like..Two very nice real chaps..Thats what its all about aint it!..Big names beware the others have got the tunes tooooooooooo and you know it...I think its harder to play a small venue than a large one.... Its not hard to play big oldie after big oldie and keep the floor full at big venues,piece of piss me thinks..

Social source share

I have seen John play a great crossover/modern set at the Monkey and he was top quality..john like Keith Money and a few more are very good djs and punters,they support the dancefloor and that i like..Two very nice real chaps..Thats what its all about aint it!..Big names beware the others have got the tunes tooooooooooo and you know it...I think its harder to play a small venue than a large one.... Its not hard to play big oldie after big oldie and keep the floor full at big venues,piece of piss me thinks..

link

Me thinks your right stevie....... It would be nice if promoters had two guests on instead of one, then they could have a big name plus a lesser known name, this would give other D.J's a chance to prove themselves.

See you saturday mate :thumbsup:

JM

Social source share

In agreement there pete, good use of the mic' i would say is important, however, a recent topic on here about use of the mic' produced alot of heated debate, some members didn't seem to think it mattered.

Butch for example uses the mic to a minimum, and let's his records speak for themselves.

Cliff Steele, Nidge Mayfield, Andy Whitmore, Lenny Dopson, Dave Abbott, Rob Messer, Cookie, Rich Buckley, Brett Franklin  :thumbsup:

None of these I would call top top D.J's although Cliff is always very good, and I would travel to venue's if I saw these D.J's names on flyers.  So maybe a reputation is built on Quality or is that just what I personally look for.

link

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!