Do Big Name D.j's Really Attract The Crowds ?

John May

• Replies 159
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Put your name in last night Jamie, just didn't show on the post  :thumbsup:

Honest

John

link

Ar right, only STOOPID people can't see my name on your list :lol:

I'm sure the offers will come flooding in....... :thumbsup::D

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I have seen John play a great crossover/modern set at the Monkey and he was top quality..john like Keith Money and a few more are very good djs and punters,they support the dancefloor and that i like..Two very nice real chaps..Thats what its all about aint it!..Big names beware the others have got the tunes tooooooooooo and you know it...I think its harder to play a small venue than a large one.... Its not hard to play big oldie after big oldie and keep the floor full at big venues,piece of piss me thinks..

link

John Weston does it for me EVERY TIME. He's streets ahead.... :thumbsup: Jo
Social source share

Markw....." whatever happened to Dick Coombes"

He lives & works in Galway ( Ireland). I dont know if he`s on the soul scene in Ireland but he used to dj a lot in Dublin a few years back.

Garv

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Have I underestimated the esteem John Weston is held in? In my earlier post I said he doesnt get the recognition he deserves, but subsequent posts have made me think he is regarded as one of the 'elite' division of DJs. A sentiment I totally agree with.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Good thread this one have run 22 niters this year have used practicaly

every top dj in the country and have given a lot of up and comers a chance also.A couple of big names are essential,but have to say that due to the amount of venues that are now on big names definatley do not guarantee big crowds.Most of the bigger names appear all over the country anyhow,so people dont have to travel around that much,most areas have well established soul nites niters etc.The fact is that the travelling hardcore on the scene number probably less than 200,so big names big crowds i dont think so.

Social source share

Good thread this one have run 22 niters this year have used practicaly

every top dj in the country and have given a lot of up and comers a chance also.A couple of big names are essential,but have to say that due to the amount of venues that are now on big names definatley do not guarantee big crowds.Most of the bigger names appear all over the country anyhow,so people dont have to travel around that much,most areas have well established soul nites niters etc.The fact is that the travelling hardcore on the scene number probably less than 200,so big names big crowds i dont think so.

link

Thanks for your input into the topic Andy, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Quick one for you john,at the last new century niter [nov] myself and mr dyson went downstairs to catch butchs spot,less than fifty people in the room around 400 upstairs,not snipeing at butch just goes to show though there are no bankers these days.

link

Hi Andy, I was there with John that night, and numbers varied over the hours downstairs. It had been a long day, but it seemed like there was more than that - maybe that was double-vision that had set in :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I do understand what you mean though, there was certainly more bodies upstairs, afterall, that was the Main Room.

As an aside, I personally thought the sets he & Andy Whitmore played were 2 of the best I had heard for a long time.

Jamie :lol:

Social source share

Markw....." whatever happened to Dick Coombes"

He lives & works in Galway ( Ireland). I dont know if he`s on the soul scene in Ireland but he used to dj a lot in Dublin a few years back.

Garv

link

Thank you Garv. Used to go into Dick's shop off Carnaby Street in the early 80s. Wondered where he'd got to.

Social source share

Could be more about the venue and word of mouth then rather than the djs who are on...I think so...If Butch was only playing a few times a year then that would be more of a draw for most i take it...Good topic and good to get views from everyone...It still seems to be punters rather than promoters or djs who post stuff,any reason???I like to hear all sides..

Social source share

There are hardly any DJ's with there own identity these days, mall either playing big money records that are just indemand or the same as each other. None of them I would go out of my way to hear.

Only twe or three I would travel for who are turning up new 60's with any frequency and only a handful of others who try and play something different.

Social source share

There are hardly any DJ's with there own identity these days, mall either playing big money records that are just indemand or the same as each other.  None of them I would go out of my way to hear.

Only twe or three I would travel for who are turning up new 60's with any frequency and only a handful of others who try and play something different.

link

Thanks for that Chalky, So my next question is, if that is the case why do certain D.J's " Big Names " seem to get booked more regular than others. I also find that some top names do tend to be predictable with thier playlists !.

Trying very hard not to be controversial here......

JM

Edited by JohnMay04
Social source share

Thanks for that Chalky,  So my next question is, if that is the case why do certain D.J's " Big Names " seem to get booked more regular than others.  I also find that some top names do tend to be predictable with thier playlists !.

JM

link

Most have sets of big name bankers, pretty safe records that will fill the floor. Nothing too controversial, keeps the promoter happy, most punters go home happy but IMHO it does nothing to progress the scene or freshen it up. The scene musically IMO is stale and getting just like the rock and roll scene.

Most venues pretty much the same musically and not many willing to take a chance on people like Cliff Steele. Have known Cliff as long as I've been into the scene and doing nighters and he's always had great taste.

Social source share

Thanks for that Chalky,  So my next question is, if that is the case why do certain D.J's " Big Names " seem to get booked more regular than others.  I also find that some top names do tend to be predictable with thier playlists !.

JM

link

Personally John, I think that a "big name" is what the paying people deem to be so.... I mean what is to one man/woman a "big name" will be a "so-so name" or even a "no-name" to another man/woman.... certain people follow certain DJ's that are the "dog's danglies" and "big" to them...

Admittedly there are the "well known" DJ's who are often referred to as "big name" purely because of being "well known".... does not make them any "bigger" or better than a "lesser known" or "locally known" DJ in my opinion.... to me it's what gets played that counts....

I tend to think of it more as the "well known" factor that promoter's go for when aiming to get more people through the door.... automatically billed as "big name".... hence that's why these get the vast ammounts of bookings you stated.... it's all how you look at it I suppose....

If you get my drift with this "babble" :thumbsup: ....

Social source share

Most venues pretty much the same musically and not many willing to take a chance on people like Cliff Steele.  Have known Cliff as long as I've been into the scene and doing nighters and he's always had great taste.

link

Cliff's one of the best , in as far as his taste seems to suit mine down to the ground.

But surely it's not about "the name" but about the music that a DJ tends to play, and how many people that appeals to ?

I love to hear Butch, but also just as happy to hear Nige Mayfield, Dave Welding, Rich B and Jamie H, John May etc. I havent heard John Weston DJ very often, but am looking forward to supporting his new venue - not too far for me to travel and I know I'll hear some good sounds.

Steve Guarnori doing a 60's spot is also my idea of aural heaven :thumbsup:

Social source share

In recent years I have been enjoying sets by guys like John Weston, Ben Summers, Lenny Dopson and especially Marco Santucci. All IMO tend to worry more about the quality of the record, rather than whether its 'currently massive' or whatever genre it is supposed to fit in.

'Seriously Soulful' in London was exactly that. Serious!! 100%. Quality.

There are loads of Djs I could mention that I really enjoy listening to, but these 4 dont get nearly as much credit as I think they deserve, although John is beginning to get a lot more recognition.

link

Couldn't agree more with your comments Mikey, i have travelled to London from Sheffield just to attend this "night" also include Gareth Sweeney in that line up, for me the quality and number of superb unknown tunes (to my ears, hey i'm still learning at 40) really made it all worthwhile.

Social source share

But surely it's not about "the name" but about the music that a  DJ tends to play, and how many people that appeals to ?

Just wanted to qualify that by saying I really don't mind if there are 20, 80, 150, or 1000 in a club....quite like going to the ocassional chinstroker venue thats put on purely for the music without a need to appeal to a dancefloor, but as I don't dance much these days I can see that many wouldn't agree with me.

Social source share

Just wanted to qualify that by saying I really don't mind if there are 20, 80, 150, or 1000 in a club....quite like going to the ocassional chinstroker venue thats put on purely for the music without a need to appeal to a dancefloor, but as I don't dance much these days I can see that many wouldn't agree with me.

link

My head is about ready to fall off with all the nods of agreement from the last few posts, a big thank you to the SSCDT for getting involved in this one.

I really think it is about time promoters took more of a responsibility in bringing through lesser name Jocks, otherwise as Chalky said the scene is going to become stale and predictable, maybe it already has !.

Thanks Alison for the mention there :thumbsup: , i'm looking forward to the 100club next month when you are on, I know you'll do us proud. I also would like to mention again Cliff Steele, I was at Rugby last month and he played and absolutly superb crossover 70's modern spot, followed by Lenny Dopson 2 hours of pure soul heaven.

Off course let us not forget that night back in October when Soulsville had there anniversary up at Leeds, Not a top name in sight, but hour after hour of top quality Northern & crossover soul....magical memories.

So back to the thread, I honestly beleive that promoters put big names on the Bill purely because thier names are Familiar, and have past reputation.......But if its quality music you want to have played at your venue there are plenty alternative options out there, don't be short sighted and overlook them.

JM

Edited by JohnMay04
Social source share

I really think it is about time promoters took more of a responsibility in bringing through lesser name Jocks, otherwise as Chalky said the scene is going to become stale and predictable, maybe it already as !. 

link

The beauty of promoting a night where theres a fair amount of R&B played, is the fact that there are so few 'name' DJs.

At every allnighter I promote there is always at least one, if not two 'unknown' DJs spinning..... at least to most of the people in there....

WOOF!

Social source share

I also would like to mention again Cliff Steele, I was at Rugby last month and he played and absolutly superb crossover 70's modern spot,

I've tapes in the cupboard from the 80's of Cliff's, they have all todays big crossover stuff on them. He's always been ahead of most IMO when collecting. He's been getting rave reviews at Lifeline with many coming up and complimenting his sets.

Social source share

Probably a very good reason Dave.

link

There probably was, but as you know, I have a thing about DJs that are booked who don't turn up, and don't bother notifying the promoters first.

I'll be the first to admit I have on occasion had to cancel bookings, but this has always been with the full co-operation of the promoter (The most recent being when I cancelled a booking at Winsford because I was offered one in Italy, well come on....Winsford ? Italy ? You choose ! But the Italian booking was only confirmed after I had spoken to Sam Moore, and Sam being Sam said "Go to Italy").

Otherwise I have turned up for every booking I have taken, and consequently I have very little time for any DJ who takes a booking and then doesn't turn up. Big name, God, or not !

Social source share

There probably was, but as you know, I have a thing about DJs that are booked who don't turn up, and don't bother notifying the promoters first.

I'll be the first to admit I have on occasion had to cancel bookings, but this has always been with the full co-operation of the promoter (The most recent being when I cancelled a booking at Winsford because I was offered one in Italy, well come on....Winsford ? Italy ? You choose ! But the Italian booking was only confirmed after I had spoken to Sam Moore, and Sam being Sam said "Go to Italy").

Otherwise I have turned up for every booking I have taken, and consequently I have very little time for any DJ who takes a booking and then doesn't turn up. Big name, God, or not !

link

A big thanks to you Dave for your input, and I Do understand where you are coming from, I had honestly forgot about Rhyl earlier this year.

Magical memories from that weekend too, the stuff played in the lounge during the day was some of the best stuff i've ever heard, and that includes your stuff Dave.

JM

Social source share

Cliff's one of the best , in as far as his taste seems to suit mine down to the ground.

But surely it's not about "the name" but about the music that a  DJ tends to play, and how many people that appeals to ?

I love to hear Butch, but also just as happy to hear Nige Mayfield, Dave Welding, Rich B and Jamie H, John May etc. I havent heard John Weston DJ very often, but am looking forward to supporting his new venue - not too far for me to travel and I know I'll hear some good sounds.

Steve Guarnori doing a 60's spot is also my idea of aural heaven  ranting_1.gif

link

Social source share

But surely it's not about "the name" but about the music that a DJ tends to play, and how many people that appeals to ?

Steve Guarnori doing a 60's spot is also my idea of aural heaven :thumbsup:

link

[/quote

Where is John Westons new venue?

Cheers ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Where is John Westons new venue?

Cheers biggrin.gif

I'll get back to you Frankie :-) Written on a scrap of paper piled onto the dungheap that I call a desk !!!

link

John's venue is Sunflower Lounge Smallbrook Queensway, B'ham 100 yds from New st station. Date is 29th Jan, 8 - 2 , dj's Jordi, Chic, Gary etheridge, Chris anderton and John

more details 07818 413838

it says No poo promotions on the flyer LOL

---------------------------

John will also be at The station hotel in Dudley on 14th Jan. That's a tribute night to Derek Allen who would have been the guest dj.

John weston and Kenny Onions are also the 'proper' guests at the same venue on 11th Feb.

Gaye

Social source share

QUOTE(alison @ Dec 17 2004, 07:20 PM)

I think there's a lot of danceable music out there that doesn't get played

just because dancers don't know it. I do sometimes think too many people think if it ain't a wigan/wheel/torch or known from the 70's youth club oldie that it ain't a dancer. Not true.

Gaye

Social source share

Regarding which DJs attract crowds, it depends which part of the country you are in and what kind of crowd you are trying to attract. The soul scene - sadly - is full of people who can't get the blinkers off and listen to a record on its merits. For them it has to have been played at a certain club, at a certain time by a certain person for it to be accepted as a scene record. When booking DJs, rather than telling them what they can I can't play, I've tried to get guys (and gals) who I know can do the business and play broad sets that go across meaningless categorisations of oldie,newie, biggie, crossover etc.

Some DJs I really respect for their commitment, knowledge, integrity and passion are Kitch, Andy Dyson, Liz Foster, Dean Anderson, Kenny Burrell, Chalky, Keith Money, Lenny Harkins, Mark Wilson, Fraser Dunn, Colin Law, Butch because all of them have seen it, done it and got the t-shirt. When I've book a DJ, I tell them to play what they want. To me, the music policy of a venue is set by who you book. What's the point in booking guys and then telling them what to play?

As for adding people to the door, Scotland can be a bit different - Jock's pointed out that Scotland has a history of innovation and progression that is sometimes forgotten. DJs from the Shotts era are the ones who tend to pull people out of the woodwork in my experience. I was too young to go to Shotts and Wigan but if I had to pick which one I prefer it's Shotts - judging by the music policy, the DJs and the opinions of those people who went.

Hammy

Social source share

hmmm i wonder ...are big name dj's to soul what deigner labels are to clothing , some people are dragged in and impressed some aren't ?

some are better quality but on the other hand some will rely on the name /label

Davie

Social source share

hmmm i wonder ...are big name dj's to soul what deigner labels are to clothing , some people are dragged in and impressed some aren't ?

some are better quality but on the other hand some will rely on the name /label

Davie

link

Too true!

Match the DJ to the label:

PAUL & SHARK

AQUASCUTUM

LACOSTE

MATALAN

BHS

WHAT EVERY WOMAN WANTS

Regards

Hammy

Social source share

Too true!

Match the DJ to the label:

PAUL & SHARK

AQUASCUTUM

LACOSTE

MATALAN

BHS

WHAT EVERY WOMAN WANTS

Regards

Hammy

link

well hammie i was at luton last nite and all four of the djs played great tunes and none of them are so called TOP NAME DJS .really enjoyed your set.ive heard most of the big names play and not all of them delivered.two not too mention any names had about as much enthisiasm as a man on row.

Social source share

well hammie i was at luton last nite and all four of the djs played great tunes and none of them are so called  TOP NAME DJS .really enjoyed your set.ive heard most of the big names play and not all of them delivered.two not too mention any names had about as much enthisiasm as a man on row.

link

Different Hammy - I am the scottish one as denoted with a 'Y'.

As in 'Y' is he on ? ;-)

I need to meet the other Hammie some day.

hammy

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

if you pick up a flyer and find you have got all big named dj`s on it i allways think it will attract the crowds which can lead to good atmosphere,personaly we have been to less named dj`s and had a brilliant night ,after saying that i dont think i would travel a 2 or more hour journey to dj`s i am not familiar with.

Social source share

if you pick up a flyer and find you have got all big named dj`s on it i allways think it will attract the crowds which can lead to good atmosphere,personaly we have been to less named dj`s and had a brilliant night ,after saying that i dont think i would travel a 2 or more hour journey to dj`s i am not familiar with.

link

i'm the opposite , i don't travel for dj's at all ....... i think ( and this is only an opinion ) that with some dj's there are certain tunes you can almost bank on them playing and they sometimes "play safe" in that they have a reputation to protect ....

a lesser known dj however has more scope for adventure should they choose to take it ( they won't always though lol)

i'd much rather travel for a venue anyday

Davie

Social source share

I dont think i would go to a venue purely on what dj was appearing

But

If im in two minds about a going to a venue on a certain night and a top dj who i like

lets say carl willingham

is playing

it will probably sway me to visit the venue where i may not of botherd if a dj whos music didnt float my boat was playing

Edited by Darren
Social source share

Who is DJing does have some bearing on where I go.  They don't have to be "names" many good collectors out there who have the balls to try and play something different and thats what I always look for, something different.

link

A good D.J with imagination, that's a great combination.

JM

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

i admire jodie she dont have balls but , what a collection she stayed with us recently and spun some fantastic records ,completly educated us to the world of (popcorn)xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Social source share

Problem that faces all promoters is that every venue has to at least break even,and that means x amount of people through the door,so most promoters will automaticaly plump for a few of the bigger names to bolster attendance.It would be great to give spots to all the up and comeing lads and lasses but the fact is especialy at allniters,that certain sections of the scene expect to see the bigger names.Its all about finding the right balance .people can moan and groan about giveing other djs a chance but when your footing the bill for these experiments its quite another matter.Would also like to point out that most of the big names are quite good djs anyway.

Social source share

Problem that faces all promoters is that every venue has to at least break even,and that means x amount of people through the door,so most promoters will automaticaly plump for a few of the bigger names to bolster attendance.It would be great to give spots to all the up and comeing lads and lasses but the fact is especialy at allniters,that certain sections of the scene expect to see the bigger names.Its all about finding the right balance .people can moan and groan about giveing other djs a chance but when your footing the bill for these experiments its quite another matter.Would also like to point out that most of the big names are quite good djs anyway.

link

Top reply Andy, I do understand how difficult promoting a venues is. What I would say however is that many top D.J's although good, can be predictable, and long term having D.J's playing the same stuff will be eventually be destructive both to the venue and also the scene, a balance of known and lesser known names is what is needed. Once again thanks for the input, much appreciated.

JM

Edited by JohnMay04
Social source share

Guest Trevski

The records are far bigger and more important than the guys/girls who play them don't you think?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

True, big guy, unfortunatly too many 'sheep' about. ie- Butch plays a record,and because a lot of punters look up to him, they think "If Butch plays it, it must be good"

and dance.

Same record is played by a 'nobody' and they go-"What was that shite!" :yes:

Unfortunatly it doesn't matter what you've got, or how good you may be behind the decks, names count for a lot, in getting booked.

Social source share

True, big guy, unfortunatly too many 'sheep' about. ie- Butch plays a record,and because a lot of punters look up to him, they think "If Butch plays it, it must be good"

and dance.

Same record is played by a 'nobody' and they go-"What was that shite!" :yes:

Unfortunatly it doesn't matter what you've got, or how good you may be behind the decks, names count for a lot, in getting booked.

link

==========

I do agree that sometimes a 'nobody' plays a record and no one dances, but I don't generally agree about Butch. He's done his time, turned up loads of great tunes, and so gets the respect he deserves.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

==========

I do agree that sometimes a 'nobody' plays a record and no one dances, but I don't generally agree about Butch. He's done his time, turned up loads of great tunes, and so gets the respect he deserves.

Winnie:-)

link

I'm not sure it's a dig at Butch, Winnie.

I think Trevski is on about the fact that if you're not an established name, you tend not to get the plaudits for playing a good set, or playing quality underplayed stuff that you get if you were someone like Butch.

People tend to listen a lot more closely to sets like his, and each track selection is dissected, and if it works, then the DJ is a genius.

If for instance it was Trevski, or me, then you might get the odd word here and there.

But I doubt any of my sets would ever contain any of the material Butch would play :yes:wink.gif

Butch deserves credit for consistently playing very good music. End of story.

Social source share

:yes:

Try promoting a night with no 'name DJs' then Kev.....

Go on I challenge you.....

I'd love to see you back your statement up by laying your reputation and your profits on the line.

I'd DJ for you, and if you made enough profit to pay me my meagre expenses, i'd donate any cash given to me to the charity of your choice.

WOOF!

link

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!