Good or bad venue

Has anybody had the hype of a venue and been disappointed when they got there .a couple of years ago our crew went to a venue in Stratford-upon-Avon can't recall the place but it was central, it looked like a library from the outside inside small brightly lit room .wouldn't go again but bought a couple of tunes .and the flip from this place we went to the sink in Liverpool small underground club with masses of atmosphere dark and brick arched dancefloor, has anybody any stories ,good or bad 👎

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Stephen Houghton said:

Has anybody had the hype of a venue and been disappointed when they got there .a couple of years ago our crew went to a venue in Stratford-upon-Avon can't recall the place but it was central, it looked like a library from the outside inside small brightly lit room .wouldn't go again but bought a couple of tunes .and the flip from this place we went to the sink in Liverpool small underground club with masses of atmosphere dark and brick arched dancefloor, has anybody any stories ,good or bad 👎

Do you mean the arts centre? I thought that was pretty decent to be fair.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Yep I've heard good vibes about oddfellows, but just some venues just don't do it ,they can be too light no atmosphere, and the tunes .but some like the one we went a couple of yrs ago in the Wigan courts .the first one down in the basement brill feeling as soon as you went in ,ex tunes and dimmly lit ,very memorable. But just some don't do it for us .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

Tony's Empress Ballroom ... now that was dark, there were corners in there you couldn't see using military grade image intensifiers 😄 

Martyn.  100 % agree my friend 👍 spent 5 hours one night there looking for Big Roger. And he was not the smallest or easiest person to miss as you know 🤣🤣🤣

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Remember going to St Ives in the small dark room (only lit by the cueing/record box lights) - I was chatting away to a mate (think it was Daz Dakin or Mad Mick) got up to have a dance, sat back down and continued my conversation for a couple of minutes until I realised he had gone for a dance himself and someone else had sat down in his place. The back room at The Fleet in Peterborough was much the same. Dx

Edited by Davenpete
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 02/06/2021 at 22:00, Hornet said:

Allways enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere in Bidds tho off most people’s radar !

And Sheridan's.

Went to The Metrodome in Barnsley just the once. Sports halls with concrete floors aren't for me.

Hugh

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Pow Wow in Sheffield had a great vibe, in both of the venues that I can remember going to.  Remember going to an after-party at Club 60, which is basically an illegal drinking establishment (no license) in a downstairs cellar which you could only get to through a printing shop 🤫.  The cellar was not in the best of upkeep and looked like what I can only imagine the Cavern in Liverpool would have been like in the 60s.  Absolutely brilliant vibe in there; the only problem being I had to leave at about 5am to get home to take the son to play football on the Sunday morning 😴

• Thanks 1
Social source share

On 06/06/2021 at 17:48, Petesi said:

The Torch had atmosphere, and of course Wigan well kinda, also Tiffs Newcastle... both downstairs and up.

Nowadays Kings H, Ivo or Burgess hall as it is now, Grosvenor rooms never fails if your old school (I am) Northern line at Alford H Warrington is great too.

I guess it will depend on the music and DJ`s cos if the dancefloor is good and its belting along then the rest is just a blur.

Grosvenor rooms is great, amazing floor too - like a sheet of glass!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hi just asking what would be your ideal venue if you could wish.over the years would it be like I like dark and a little rough round the edges, cheap beer prices and tunes that just hit the spot.no bright lights and disco lights going on and off round the Dec's. ,and no beer carried across the dance floor 

What's your venue 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Great thread!!! I think everyone has had some mad experiences....a couple that spring to mind (won't mention where and dj,s) #1  the line up on the decks was superb and expecting plenty of rare records played...turned into a Motown night for the !ocals...there is playing to the f!oor.... but it was advertised as a northern do with top dj,s playing....#2 arrived at a working men's club, lots of windows boarded up and my mate who was driving his 60k company car crapping himself!!!...bucket catching the water from the leak in the roof as you walked through the door...was a great night!!....Keith Money was playing his brilliant mid tempo records...cheap beer, friendly but a tad scary with the locals😂....just as it should be!!!...thank you...Rob

P.s didn't mention dj,s from the 1st event I mentioned.

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 01/08/2021 at 17:23, Stephen Houghton said:

Queens Hall at Bradford was one of them places too ,dark dingy sweat dripping from the ceiling and a cafe to get a sandwich and a brew absolutely loved this place we came from macclesfield to this venue and never missed one .just class and atmosphere all over it ,proper place 

Queens Hall was so dark it took five minutes for your eyes to adjust 😂

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Queens hall had a Brill atmosphere, only light i saw was like a bedroom table lamp on the side of the dj decks up on the balcony, worst had to be that Dragons Niter at a place nobody could find in Farsley (suberb of Leeds) in the 90s, dance floor with a maximum of about 10 people, soulies still arriving at 4-5 in the morning,those that could find it, and then record dealers were tucked away in a quiet seperate room altogether, worst niter i ever attended.

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Always like a nice Town/Civic Hall type building, Kings Hall Stoke, Sheffield City Hall, Birmingham Town Hall, Kidderminster Town Hall, Darlaston Town Hall. They usually have a massive dance floor, usually rather subdued lighting, great acoustics and there's nothing like the backdrop of a big pipe organ behind the DJ. There's a couple of ex-churches (one in Burton, can't remember the name?) too which have a great interior. In a venue like that the quality of the music isn't so crucial, even mediocre tunes echoing around have impact.

Kidderminster Town Hall 2020-01-27.jpg

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!