Al Kent RIP

1 hour ago, Mike said:

can anyone confirm this sad news

with a link to the source if possible

thanks

It's on his facebook page and was announced yesterday by his niece

https://www.facebook.com/al.kent.7773

(I don't think you need to be on facebook to read it)

RIP Sir TFTM

My youth and still love it 

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Discogs also posted his passing.

Besides his great singles, as Al Hamilton he wrote many classic tunes- "Hungry For Love", "Real Humdinger", "Headline News" , "Stop Her On Sight", "You're My Mellow" and many 45's for the Fantastic Four.

R.I.P. Al !! 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Sorry to hear this sad news.  Last of The Hamilton Brothers.  I start to feel old, remembering that Bobby and Ronny were just kids when I first started listening to music in the early 1950s.  They (Bobby and Ronny (Al was too young then) had a group back then called The Nitecaps, and were signed by RCA, and placed on their Groove Records subsidiary.  Then they moved to New York.  Al followed them, and started writing songs and singing, and got a few local recording deals with local labels.  I loved his song, "Am I The Man", he wrote for Jackie Wilson, who all 3 brothers had known from back in Detroit.  Al recorded it, himself , and it was picked up by Chess.  It was very nice, too.  Of course, I love Al's songwriting, producing and singing for Golden World/Ric Tic/Wingate Records.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

On 01/06/2021 at 09:21, Mike said:

can anyone confirm this sad news

with a link to the source if possible

thanks

Yes His Niece (Toni, rob Reccos Daughter) called me, early monday morning. He had been ill with Parkinsons diesease, for a number of years.. but hadnt been to well over the weekend, he refused to go in hospital has he was due to go in last wednesday for a follow up procdeure to a prostrate problem..

Al will be sadly missed by all who knew him..

Social source share

On 03/06/2021 at 01:11, Robbk said:

Sorry to hear this sad news.  Last of The Hamilton Brothers.  I start to feel old, remembering that Bobby and Ronny were just kids when I first started listening to music in the early 1950s.  They (Bobby and Ronny (Al was too young then) had a group back then called The Nitecaps, and were signed by RCA, and placed on their Groove Records subsidiary.  Then they moved to New York.  Al followed them, and started writing songs and singing, and got a few local recording deals with local labels.  I loved his song, "Am I The Man", he wrote for Jackie Wilson, who all 3 brothers had known from back in Detroit.  Al recorded it, himself , and it was picked up by Chess.  It was very nice, too.  Of course, I love Al's songwriting, producing and singing for Golden World/Ric Tic/Wingate Records....

Robb, Eugene (Ronnie) is still with us, hes now known as Abu, after a change in religion

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!