JMAuction - 02/06/2021 - Results!

Cashmeres - 2182£

Clydie King - 313£

Tavasco - 4192£

Wow. So the Charles Spurling Demo climbs and climbs and climbs ... A very interesting development!
I think this is the third one in the last 4 years and it started at 190 (I bought it once, which I thought was too much at the time), the second one was already in the mid 200s. Remains constant in this range.

Social source share

Thank you for sharing as always my friend 🙏.

Charles Spurling is a great record. 

Epitome of sound . Tune of the highest order but surely only worth half that price. 

Tavasco. Is certainly up with there with the greatest modern / crossover type tunes. 

There we go. I do like some records,  for whoever it was saying the other week I called everything . Not that I'm bothered who it was. 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Epitome of Sound jumped up £250 beyond the going rate, but such a great tune. Clydie King a set-sale record any day of the week, fetched a set-sale price once commission was deducted. Cashmeres a 2K record nowadays when in good condition like this one, so somebody will be pleased; two top sides for the money.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 02/06/2021 at 22:00, Frankie Crocker said:

Epitome of Sound jumped up £250 beyond the going rate, but such a great tune. Clydie King a set-sale record any day of the week, fetched a set-sale price once commission was deducted. Cashmeres a 2K record nowadays when in good condition like this one, so somebody will be pleased; two top sides for the money.

Rare (unheard of?) to see Clydie's record go for much more than £200 so I think you're wrong here. Her Imperial releases are now attracting interest beyond NS collectors so auction values may increase further

Social source share

1 hour ago, davidwapples said:

There is a quote in one of john manships early price guide that at least 1000 copies of epitome of sound arrived in just one day. It's not that rare and for sale every week for 300 which is too much for how often it is available

Discogs has a quote on the Demo stating that the Demo is 10x rare then the Dubious issue.

Can someone shed some light on that comment please ?

Social source share

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

There's only a month difference between your article (June 10, 1967) and the WJLB survey (July 10, 1967) so the time seems about right to me. 

I apologise for not making myself clear. In Kev Robert's article (Copyright Robert Paladino 2010) it states early 1968 release date, under the 2nd picture of the group, which makes no sense to me unless the sun here in Blackpool is frying my brain

Perhaps Demos 1967 and issues early 1968

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

I thought you were referring to the Record World article. After reading Bob Paladino's info, it might be he misremembered or the proofreader changed his info ( the same info is on the back of the Go Ahead label reissue from 2010.)

Here's a Cleveland survey with the 45 at number 30 and the release year as 1967. Also , look at Lou Ragland at #23- 

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, tom c said:

Rare (unheard of?) to see Clydie's record go for much more than £200 so I think you're wrong here. Her Imperial releases are now attracting interest beyond NS collectors so auction values may increase further

The ten highest Popsike sales figures for Clydie King’s ‘Soft And Gentle Ways’ range from £200 to £254. The most recent sale was in April 2021 for £219. ‘Soft And Gentle Ways’ is her most wanted Imperial release judging from Popsike sales, although a Philips 45 sells for a bit more. The Manship sale price at £313 was therefore 20% above the Popsike peak value and c90% above the recent benchmark. The record should set-sale at £200 for a VG+ copy, £225 for Ex and £250 for M-. The record is regularly auctioned by eBay, but a top dealer like John should sell this at a set-sale price.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

11 hours ago, davidwapples said:

If a mint minus is 250 then an ex should be 180 and a vg plus 125 with the record collector grading scale. 

313 minus the 20 percent sale commission means the seller gets the 250 it went for on popsike etc

I wish dealers would apply the Record Collector price/grading-scale to the records I bought... Whenever I’m in the States, just about everything is priced as if it was mint. With the feeding-frenzy auctions we’re currently seeing, the price/grading scale just goes out the window.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!