eBay seller payment changes

Mike
Followers 4

Posted

New terms of use for eBay have come into effect which mean the online auction house will now pay sellers directly rather than through PayPal.

PayPal was acquired by eBay in its early days in 2002, and the two firms have worked in partnership ever since.

The changes mean that while eBay buyers can still pay with PayPal, sellers will be paid straight into their bank accounts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57318294

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 5
  • Views 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's something eBay hadn't considered when they made the changes. The person who I spoke to at PayPal totally agreed with me and confirmed they had other similar cases that had been raised. As

Posted (edited)

It appears (as per usual, but no one does anything in the long run) that many are very unhappy with the changes and can you imagine the hackers sitting waiting to get all the bank details from Ebay. Ebay have upped their charges as they no longer use Paypal for sellers (buyers still can use though and I think we can see through that one) and comes at a really interesting time with the massive tax and import duty hikes coming into force around Europe since Brexit.

Sellers are going to have interesting times over the next few months and as I have stated before the world is becoming more expensive to trade in anything.

Where is Robin Hood when you need him. 🆘

Just recently sold a £45 7" to Sweden and buyer had 28Euro charge........Ouch!!!

When it's Tax it's not counted as theft of course.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I've just had a situation with an eBay order where their new system didn't really work in their favour

Their shipping hub in the US refused to post a record as they claimed it was a restricted item under their terms & conditions (it wasn't, it was a legally US release with no offensive text etc and they still can't tell the seller why it was blocked). They told me it was being returned to the seller and the seller would refund me.

I pointed out to eBay that I had paid them, not the seller and therefore my contract was with them and they should refund me. They had also added 20% VAT to the invoice which the seller could not refund me as they had that money. 

As expected, eBay tried to duck out of taking any responsibility so I phoned PayPal  and they registered it as a claim and ruled in my favour. My original payment to eBay was refunded including the VAT and eBay had to go chasing the seller to get their money back. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Kjw said:

I've just had a situation with an eBay order where their new system didn't really work in their favour

Their shipping hub in the US refused to post a record as they claimed it was a restricted item under their terms & conditions (it wasn't, it was a legally US release with no offensive text etc and they still can't tell the seller why it was blocked). They told me it was being returned to the seller and the seller would refund me.

I pointed out to eBay that I had paid them, not the seller and therefore my contract was with them and they should refund me. They had also added 20% VAT to the invoice which the seller could not refund me as they had that money. 

As expected, eBay tried to duck out of taking any responsibility so I phoned PayPal  and they registered it as a claim and ruled in my favour. My original payment to eBay was refunded including the VAT and eBay had to go chasing the seller to get their money back. 

That is brilliant and I suspect highly unusual.  Everything in life is like a coin "always 2 sides", where there actions there are consequences, well done, I wonder how long before they slam that door shut.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 minute ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

That is brilliant and I suspect highly unusual.  Everything in life is like a coin "always 2 sides", where there actions there are consequences, well done, I wonder how long before they slam that door shut.

I think it's something eBay hadn't considered when they made the changes. The person who I spoke to at PayPal totally agreed with me and confirmed they had other similar cases that had been raised. As they no longer have anything to do with eBay they can take a totally unbiased view when ruling on cases with them. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

It is not just that the seller gets paid directly by ebay but they have to set up a direct debit mandate meaning ebay can withdraw funds and you have to dispute it later. If I am wrong I am happy to correct that statement but from the articles and ebay direct emails on it, this seems to be the case. I'm coming off it to sell and see how it plays out. While big companies might be okay with this change, smaller sellers might be more wary.

Edited by Thinksmart
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

1. Northern Soul 45 Sold On Ebay, No Payment After 3 Weeks, Then Given Negative By Buyer
    All About The Soul by BritMusicSoulFan on Sun 09 Aug 2009
    • 9 / 969
    • Mick Holdsworth on 11 Aug 2009
  2. Payment Options From U.s. To U.k. (other Than Paypal)
    All About The Soul by RnB Rookie on Sun 20 Mar 2011
    • 4 / 471
    • LarsC on 22 Mar 2011
  3. Lifeline Weekender Payment
    All About The Soul by mike on Fri 15 Jul 2005
    • 10 / 1794
    • Chalky on 30 Aug 2005
  4. The Inspirations Limited Edition Pre Reserve Payment Details
    Record Sales by Mark Bicknell on Tue 21 Nov 2017
    • 1 / 833
    • Mark Bicknell on 21 Nov 2017
  5. Billy Byrd - Lost In The Crowd - Payment Terms Available