JMAuction - 09/06/2021 - Results!

Some surprising prices even in today's surprising climate.

Inverts was a relative bargain in comparison to some of the results and I must admit I had expected that to hit four figures.

Choice of Colour attracted a far higher price than I'd envisaged.  £350, maybe £400 tops I thought.

The Strange World Of Northern Soul indeed.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Thanks for posting as usual. Are you sure these figures are correct? Surely there must be a few errors here? Maybe a comma or decimal point in the wrong place. I’m going to look up the Drifters and Sweet Things in Manship’s Price Guide #7 to see if there are discrepancies...

Relax. Everything seems to have been correct here.
Someone really wanted to throw the caviar off the balcony...
But to make this spectacle complete... what does the Manship say?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Relax you say... I am frantically digging through the collection trying to find the Sweet Things and the Drifters. If I’m really quick, I could get £1,000 for the pair. Without looking them up, I vaguely recall they’re listed at £100 apiece.

James Fountain must have fetched a disappointing sum when compared to the common records that fetched £1,000 plus. That said, it went for the going rate, give or take a bit.

:hatsoff2::thumbup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Tobytyke said:

Bobby Paris £424 seems a bit on the high side 

I'll say !!   Bought a UK copy from a Mr I Levine of Blackpool in about 1972/73 at the Top Rank Hanley for £5 and then I debated with myself all night as to whether it was worth it. Loved the sound, but £5 !! About £55 in todays money. Had to borrow the money as well off my girlfriend. Luckily she became my wife and not sure I have ever given her the money back. Sold it on a few years later for £25. Thats record collecting, there's always something else you want.

Dave Banks

• Up vote 2
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

You could hire the sons of the drifters to play it live for that much.

Did JM used to be an estate agent?

For those who follow his triumphs of extracting the most value from the least valuable...whats his best result?

Ed

I don't know if we can blame John for the idiotic people out there who pay these prices

I do agree though that buying another price guide is a complete waste of money

I believe the new term is "status buyers"

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I don't know if we can blame John for the idiotic people out there who pay these prices

Definitely can't blame John. Not his fault  the dickheads out there  are willing to pay these prices.  

I love the Drifters and used to play both that and I'm In a world of trouble out regularly and always to a good response from the floor

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

12 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Relax you say... I am frantically digging through the collection trying to find the Sweet Things and the Drifters. If I’m really quick, I could get £1,000 for the pair.

You and I would never get that price for them! Only Manship can attract these money people who must regard his auctions, in his own words as "The holy grail!

They are buying into the kudos and reputation of the Manship brand!

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Supercorsa said:

I am continously bemused as to what warrants a record worthy of auction status, when they are commonly seen (listed) as a set sale record.

John. Blocked me for saying one particular record wasnt worthy of a auction .Not that i lost any sleep over it. Lol

But its his business and he runs it how he see,s fit and very successfully . So what do i know

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Its dangerous ground pricing a record from Johns auction,he is the master with fantastic knowledge at talking up the record. That comes with nous and sheer hard work ,credit to him. The main point here for me is that its up to the buyer to spend,that person earned the money so whats the problem ? Some records that pass through his auction you can buy on the active market both  on here and on other selling sites,Facebook etc. You may well score a better price. 

Generally records in all genres are getting harder to access from Punk to Popcorn Indie to Prog all vinyl has a price my brother collects indie stuff and does not flinch now forking out 3 figures etc. My view generally on record prices is that its a fluent market place always changing we are in the 21st Century now. 

I continually find new records to buy up to £100 £200 quid the fun is finding  them and watching them value some do some dont its all part of collecting .

• Up vote 3
Social source share

47 minutes ago, Baz Atkinson said:

Its dangerous ground pricing a record from Johns auction,he is the master with fantastic knowledge at talking up the record. That comes with nous and sheer hard work ,credit to him. The main point here for me is that its up to the buyer to spend,that person earned the money so whats the problem ? Some records that pass through his auction you can buy on the active market both  on here and on other selling sites,Facebook etc. You may well score a better price. 

Generally records in all genres are getting harder to access from Punk to Popcorn Indie to Prog all vinyl has a price my brother collects indie stuff and does not flinch now forking out 3 figures etc. My view generally on record prices is that its a fluent market place always changing we are in the 21st Century now. 

I continually find new records to buy up to £100 £200 quid the fun is finding  them and watching them value some do some dont its all part of collecting .

Steve Jeffries told me 10 years ago as well, that some of his wealthy buyers who paid over the odds were people who could not be bothered to hunt around for cheaper prices and I guess that's the same here with John's auctions.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Headsy said:

Discogs is getting worse also

You cannot compare at all, as with Discogs there is no "end date" and if a record is overpriced, then it simply will not be purchased and will sit there until the end of time.

Unless of course the buyer is willing to accept an offer

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

7 hours ago, Keamus said:

Watch out for a glut of ‘You gotta pay your dues’ hitting  the market with asking prices of £500 plus! 

Why spend a grand when there’s 3 on Discogs in near mint condition for between £150 and £200?

That’s all it is worth IMO, it is far from rare

5 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

You have to question the wisdom behind those who pay the sort of money  they are when a quick shout out on here or facebook would save them £100s

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

It's the brilliant flowery descriptions sucking bidders in almost certainly

Wotcha Ted. I agree. I also enjoy reading John’s descriptions as they convey a sense of history and acknowledge the contributions of those behind the artists. If John put the auction descriptions in a book, I would happily buy a copy.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, D9 Ktf said:

You and I would never get that price for them! Only Manship can attract these money people who must regard his auctions, in his own words as "The holy grail!

They are buying into the kudos and reputation of the Manship brand!

Very true. In any case, my Sweet Things demo and issue plus Drifters demo and issue look very pretty sitting in my record box, so they will never be offered for sale.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Supercorsa said:

I am continously bemused as to what warrants a record worthy of auction status, when they are commonly seen (listed) as a set sale record.

The Drifters at £1000, my dues aren't worth paying that much. Sheer madness.

When I see things like that, I ponder whether its worth bothering buying any more records when prices are becoming more and more exaggerated, as my money maybe better spent elsewhere as more and more records become financially unobtainable. 

Yes and how many more people are beginning to think the same? 🤔

These inflated prices will encourage more and more collectors to consider selling rather than buying the watch the flood gates open !

Social source share

I know Dave this has actually happened since the first price quide in one way or another . Good relationships buying will breed common sense imho at least I think there will,  I’m buying from the USA still and  still finding canny stuff . 
The market will readjust to common sense, looking at Anglos last auction maybe it’s started although I bet next week we are talking about another price of a record that has surprised us again lol 😂

• Up vote 3
Social source share

14 hours ago, Chalky said:

Jimmy Frazier, Sweet Things, barmy prices.  Only JM can get 200 odd quid for the platters, I thought it was a tough sell for about £80

A "flawless" copy went for 200 quid on Discogs in Sep 20. So JM's achieved price is not that far off.

Social source share

13 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

John. Blocked me for saying one particular record wasnt worthy of a auction .Not that i lost any sleep over it. Lol

But its his business and he runs it how he see,s fit and very successfully . So what do i know

Only one ? 😲 😆

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Louise said:

Hi Baz 

The problem is every Yank and his dog will think the Drifters is $1300.00 record naw and you try tellin' 'em different !

Dave

This was my point about Discogs silly prices but was told of no relevance 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!