Magnificent 7

Gaz T

So for me this record evokes so many great memories from the late 80s very early 90s

It remains a firm fave that I keep to this day.

Overlooked and forgotten it seems but totally everything a 60s Northern Soul 45 should be. 

My question is who were they?

I know the label is Juggy Sue Murrys and its from New York.

Who were the Magnificent 7

And why is this 45 not a huge well popular dancer, Its a perfect NS record ?

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Gaz T said:

Its a proper northern tune

i cant understand how a total top tune can get forgotten 

you cant get more soulful and 100 mph than this

but i suppose you have to keep a few in your back pocket :)  

I dont know anything about them other than the fact that they were a white band,that may be why you havent heard of any of there names. 

Social source share

The composer of the 45 Archie Himons was a member of The Parliaments who recorded 45s released on Cabel and Predictable ... and had solo 45s as Little Archie on Dial ... he was involved with the Magnificent 7

check this old thread out ... loads of info there

I played Archie ‘She’s called a woman’ over the phone and he said it was him singing ... but when asked by others he said it wasn’t !

he sure sings lead on ‘Rainy Day’

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Andy Rix said:

The composer of the 45 Archie Himons was a member of The Parliaments who recorded 45s released on Cabel and Predictable ... and had solo 45s as Little Archie on Dial ... he was involved with the Magnificent 7

I played Archie ‘She’s called a woman’ over the phone and he said it was him singing ... but when asked by others he said it wasn’t !

There is a photo of them on discogs,as you will see,they are an all white band. 

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Andy Rix said:

Social source share

On 19/06/2021 at 21:29, Soul-slider said:

There is another band called The Magnificent Seven (notice the change from '7'). They are also a white group and released a good Northern 45 on 'New Groove'.

magnificent-seven-new-groove-farmer-john-new-groove.jpg.959c32c9865228b4c229b854c57ecafc.jpg

They changed name too (later) Rubber Band

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Corrected name due to my bad typing
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!