Ruby Feminine Ingenuity

Has anyone any info on Ruby (I believe she was married to William Larry Johnson) and I do wonder if Ruby was also Ruby Jean ? .Please direct if this had Been covered before

I might be nice to get more about the label (s) and connections please including publishing "Vendo" "Vended" (includes Barry White)

Ruby.jpg

Cross fires.jpg

Barry.jpg

Ruby Jean.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

This has been on my radar for nearly 10 years.

It's a complicated set of connections, which still has 'moving parts missing'.

What i can share is:

I can tell you that Monster Masters were at 6087 Sunset Blvd. And that it was a John D. Imus (you can find john D. easily on Discogs) Fred Imus and George Russell. George was at 7408 Fountain Ave (as too was Gold Cup Music Company, Gretchen Christopher (who can easily be found on Discogs). Tourist Records was also at 6087 Sunset. Run by Castle Newell & Lewis Finston.

Take 6 was at 6565 Sunset. A big building.(see 1966 PIC).

The 'moving parts' that i still revisit include-Tank Jernigan,Colonel Splendid (The Emporer DJ), Jimmy Gresham, Sarah & The Sanctified Six...to name just a few.

Hope it helps.

6565.jpg

P.S. Larry Johnson (William L Johnson) is likely the head honcho of Vendo Music pubbery.

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Ruby Johnson was Ruby, Ruby Jean, and Ruby Sherry.  As for Vendo and Vended Music,-  William Larry Johnson (AKA Larry Johnson) seems to have owned Vendo Music, while Vended Music may represent Larry's partnership with either his wife, or an associate (perhaps a money partner?).  I have the following other records published by Vendo and Vended Music, in addition to those above:

RubySherry.jpg

The Charmers.jpg

ElaineJones&Tri-Dells.jpgMysticFiveToken101.jpg.f8c7f7636ff7963a8a5b09efe026b4b2.jpg833797920_TommyReedRunawaysToken103.jpg.cc43f3d883d50331c03e4babdd796f13.jpg

Both The Charmers and The Tri-Dells were well-known groups in L.A. when I got there in late 1965.  Larry Johnson was a small-time, reasonably successful, local producer (in the burgeoning L.A. Soul local production scene).  The Charmers' double sided chart record ("My Love"-Great Mid-Tempo late R&B/and Flip Low-Rider style Ballad) charted well, and were minor local hits.  The Tri-Dells never had a big hit, but charted a few times, and were gigging favourites in local venues.  Tommy Reed and The Runaways didn't get airplay, and is very rare.  Token Records evolved first into Gold Token, and then, Lucky Token Records.  Token 105 was a Henry Dixon record (Not Detroit's Hank Dixon, who sang with The Five Stars, Voice Masters, and The Originals) - but L.A.'s Henry Dixon, who, if I remember correctly, had recorded for my old boss' husband, John Dolphin's Money Records, among a few other L.A. labels.  The Crossfires later became The Turtles. 

Robert McGlothin, Grier, and Crain are some additional names of people involved that ring a bell in my memory from other credits on records not involved with Johnson.  I wonder if Grier was Rosy (Roosevelt)Grier, the pro football player, who produced a fair amount of records in L.A., wrote songs, and had a Soul singing career, as well?  I've seen Crain's name a fair amount on L.A. records.  I wonder if he was also the original owner of Crain's Records on Adams Boulevard, where I made my best "killing" on buying several thousand individual mint Soul records, at 10¢ apiece, at his closing out sale in 1967?  I also notice that Johnson worked with Fred Smith, manager of The Olympics, and prolific L.A. long-time producer, in his own right.

Also, I wonder if these Imus Brothers are related to celebrity radio personality Don Imus, a DJ who became the dean of talk-show radio hosts in L.A., and an L.A. institution?

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, The Yank said:

I take it this label was part of the Vended/ Vendo music setup ?

Len.jpg

No doubt about it.  Larry Johnson is listed as co-producer, and Vendo Music shares the publishing.  Johnson probably worked on a lot more joint-venture projects than those which were his alone, probably because of a need for obtaining financing.  I've seen several more  Vended records, which I will show below, and certainly, more Tokens, Gold Tokens, and Lucky Tokens. 

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

There were at least 7 singles on Vended Records operating throughout most of 1962 and 1963, all produced by Larry Johnson, and all published by his own, Vendo Music.  Vended Records was located in Hollywood, at 1000 Cahuenga Blvd (a few blocks from where I and ex-Motown sound engineer Mike McLean worked at Hanna-Barbera/Turner Feature Animation, some years later).  Vendo Music was located at 859 N. Wilcox Ave. in Hollywood. 

Garlon Davis' was on the first release(101), "Oh My Soul".  And that song also appeared on the flip of another Garlon Davis record produced by Johnson, on Zeke Strong's Progress Records.  Both cuts were published by Johnson's Vendo Music.  Strong also released a Garlon Davis record on Strong's Kick Off Records, and Strong and Johnson shared the publishing on both of those songs.  So, it appears that Davis was Johnson's signed artist, and the latter leased his production of Davis's songs to Strong, who paid for the pressing and distribution.  102 was by Anita Tucker, 104 by Bobby Mac (who had a local hit with "Walkin' Together" on Moonglow and Original Sound Records), 105 was by The Lashons, 106 was by The Roscoe Weathers Quintet, Len Johnson and The Hi-Lighters sang on 107 (scanned above by The Yank).  I'm pretty sure Johnson was the Leonard Johnson who sang "The Bug" on L.A.'s Arvee Records.  I have no idea whether or not he was related to Larry Johnson, but my guess is that he was (maybe his brother?).

GarlonDavisVended101.jpg

AnitaTuckerVended102.jpg

BobbyMacVended104.jpg

TheLashonsVended105.jpg

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

Here are the last Vended record we have to show, plus the 2 Garlon Davis records Johnson joint-ventured and co-produced with Zeke Strong.  The Garlon Davis cut "Oh My Soul" is a super Bluesy R&B song, with a fantastic Blues guitar solo in the break.  Everyone should take a listen to it on YouTube.  It's L.A. Bluesy Soul at its finest.

RoscoeweathersQuintetVended106.png.22b4d13d551a84f3d0a07bd4c29cbeb7.pngGarlonDavisProgress101.jpg.14b3a01eee5969d8c2fc49ad20a5f5df.jpgGarlonDavisKickOff188.jpg.9e6f7a9935af27f29d50dc4e7262cad7.jpg

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

always thought Ruby was one of the ladies in this picture ( but haven't been able to substantiate it...yet).

Sarah James & The Sanctified Six, also on Gold Token label (L.A. County Fair 1963)-see Pic

Sarah & Sanctified Six.JPG

Edited by Kenb
clarity
Social source share

47 minutes ago, Kenb said:

always thought Ruby was one of the ladies in this picture ( but haven't been able to substantiate it...yet).

Sarah James & The Sanctified Six (L.A. County Fair 1963)-see Pic

You heard a rumour that she was in that Gospel group?  But you couldn't find a list of their members?  Can't help with that.  I know a lot about Chicago and Detroit Gospel groups, but very little about Los Angeles groups, other than The Cogic Singers, because I knew Gloria Jones.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

@Robbk more intriguing than Henry Dixon perhaps is Colonel Splendid And The Commando's Featuring Lt. Cavendish. Colonel Splendid was in fact Bob Hudson (Emprorer Bob Hudson). Les Crane got him a job as DJ at KEWB. The Commando's were around 40,000 registered members of what Bob decided would be a crazy youth movement. By crazy i mean...he wanted to Straighten out Sunset Blvd and turn into a Bowling Alley, etc). BTW: He was also at KFWB as Beautiful Bob.

Edited by Kenb
grammer
Social source share

7 hours ago, Kenb said:

Sarah James & The Sanctified Six, also on Gold Token label (L.A. County Fair 1963)-see Pic

Sister Sarah James and the Sanctified Six singing the barnstorming “God rode on a windstorm” with Ruby Jewel’s fabulous rocking piano accompaniment. Despite the record’s local popularity, the Sanctified Six never recorded again. The Sanctified Six split up when Ruby Jewel finished up night school.

(i need to find out again where this came from  to give credit)

this Ruby - born July 14th, 1940, passed away on November 20, 2007

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

6 hours ago, Robbk said:

You heard a rumour that she was in that Gospel group?  But you couldn't find a list of their members?  Can't help with that. 

Membership included Ruby Jewel, Sarah, Bernadean Johnson, Johnnie Ruth-King, Fay Porter and Bishop Le Roy Dowd

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Simon T said:

Sister Sarah James and the Sanctified Six singing the barnstorming “God rode on a windstorm” with Ruby Jewel’s fabulous rocking piano accompaniment. Despite the record’s local popularity, the Sanctified Six never recorded again. The Sanctified Six split up when Ruby Jewel finished up night school.

(i need to find out again where this came from  to give credit)

this Ruby - born July 14th, 1940, passed away on November 20, 2007

Think your source is this site

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/24983198/ruby-jewel-rowe-opal-louis-nations

The group appeared below

Best from west.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Think your source is this site

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/24983198/ruby-jewel-rowe-opal-louis-nations

The group appeared below

Ta. Yes that looks it's where i got the .pdf file from, thanks and due credit to it. i think it's important to give credit to these sites / contributors as they obviously put in a great deal of work.

Social source share

13 hours ago, Robbk said:

Here are the last Vended record we have to show, plus the 2 Garlon Davis records Johnson joint-ventured and co-produced with Zeke Strong.  The Garlon Davis cut "Oh My Soul" is a super Bluesy R&B song, with a fantastic Blues guitar solo in the break.  Everyone should take a listen to it on YouTube.  It's L.A. Bluesy Soul at its finest.

RoscoeweathersQuintetVended106.png.22b4d13d551a84f3d0a07bd4c29cbeb7.pngGarlonDavisProgress101.jpg.14b3a01eee5969d8c2fc49ad20a5f5df.jpgGarlonDavisKickOff188.jpg.9e6f7a9935af27f29d50dc4e7262cad7.jpg

Here he is under his birth name

Garland.jpg

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Simon T said:

Ta. Yes that looks it's where i got the .pdf file from, thanks and due credit to it. i think it's important to give credit to these sites / contributors as they obviously put in a great deal of work.

I never seek credit (it's a mugs game) all that matters is the history (but people do work hard sometimes).

Last night on BBC Professor Brian Cox was asked why he always smiled and he said !!!

"It's because it's funny. It brings us all down a peg or two, I want to build a statue of myself a permanent celebration of my achievements . There will be no so such monument of your achievements, don't worry about the statues... they're all going to dissolve into a bath of photons."

Funniest thing ever said

Great thread by the way guys keep it coming....brilliant

Social source share

8 hours ago, Kenb said:

@Robbk more intriguing than Henry Dixon perhaps is Colonel Splendid And The Commando's Featuring Lt. Cavendish. Colonel Splendid was in fact Bob Hudson (Emprorer Bob Hudson). Les Crane got him a job as DJ at KEWB. The Commando's were around 40,000 registered members of what Bob decided would be a crazy youth movement. By crazy i mean...he wanted to Straighten out Sunset Blvd and turn into a Bowling Alley, etc). BTW: He was also at KFWB as Beautiful Bob.

I never knew about him what a star !!!!

Emporer.jpg

Social source share

40 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Here he is under his birth name

Garland.jpg

From when he lived in Texas, before he moved to L.A.  Run-of-the-mill Rock & Roll song, other than the fantastic sax solo in the extended break in the middle.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

8 hours ago, Kenb said:

Here's a pic of Bob when he went to KBLA _ 

Emp.jpg

Social source share

41 minutes ago, The Yank said:

Is this the same Sarah James ?

Sarah F.jpg

Not sure but this may help and here's Barry White again

"Takin' Care of Business" Sarah James & The Soul Babies
This song was co-produced by Eddie Davis and Wayne Edwards and written by Chick Carlton and Delbert Franklin for R&B Soul singer, Sarah James. Sarah would often perform solo at the piano bar as well as with her trio at the Eddie Davis Night Club in Hollywood, California to standing room crowds. Her powerful voice and great personality made her a favorite in the Night Club Circuit. This recording also features Barry White playing the congas. As Delbert Franklin recalls, "Barry was always trying to make himself useful in the recording studio". The background singers (Soul Babies) also included members of The Sa-Shays. Released in 1967 on Faro Records, it wasn't long before local AM radio stations like KGFJ were playing the song in steady rotation.

http://wwwyoufoundthateastsidesoundcom.blogspot.com/2011/05/

Social source share

On 21/06/2021 at 10:56, Kenb said:

This has been on my radar for nearly 10 years.

It's a complicated set of connections, which still has 'moving parts missing'.

What i can share is:

I can tell you that Monster Masters were at 6087 Sunset Blvd. And that it was a John D. Imus (you can find john D. easily on Discogs) Fred Imus and George Russell. George was at 7408 Fountain Ave (as too was Gold Cup Music Company, Gretchen Christopher (who can easily be found on Discogs). Tourist Records was also at 6087 Sunset. Run by Castle Newell & Lewis Finston.

Take 6 was at 6565 Sunset. A big building.(see 1966 PIC).

The 'moving parts' that i still revisit include-Tank Jernigan,Colonel Splendid (The Emporer DJ), Jimmy Gresham, Sarah & The Sanctified Six...to name just a few.

Hope it helps.

6565.jpg

P.S. Larry Johnson (William L Johnson) is likely the head honcho of Vendo Music pubbery.

Looks like we may have another publishing arm ?

And might this link reveal our man ?

http://doo-wop.blogg.org/larry-the-conservatives-a116516524

Larry.jpg

Larry1.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

13 minutes ago, The Yank said:

Pretty sure that Larry Johnson and Little Larry Johnson are not the same person-

JB.jpg

LLJ.jpg

I agree!  Little Larry Johnson was a child protege of James Brown while producer, Larry Johnson was an adult, writing songs and producing records.

15 minutes ago, The Yank said:

Pretty sure that Larry Johnson and Little Larry Johnson are not the same person-

JB.jpg

LLJ.jpg

Did ANY of you ever Dance "The Elephant"???  I've never yet seen it done! 😜

Social source share

I've always assumed Larry Johnson was the same Larry Johnson on Willie Gresham & The Free Food Tickets “Step by Step/I cried Boo”. Willie's brother Jimmy (Jimi) played in Rose Grier's band. It's still a West Coast connection thing going on. [somewhere in Robbk's posts mentioned Rosy Grier].

The Gresham Brothers...now there's a story ( but not helpful to this thread).

Social source share

10 hours ago, Robbk said:

I agree!  Little Larry Johnson was a child protege of James Brown while producer, Larry Johnson was an adult, writing songs and producing records.

Did ANY of you ever Dance "The Elephant"???  I've never yet seen it done! 😜

Indeed...... Verdunn was Rex Garvin's publishing......back hunting

Social source share

On 22/06/2021 at 05:19, Robbk said:

Writers credits for Echoes

IMG_0409.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kenb said:

I've always assumed Larry Johnson was the same Larry Johnson on Willie Gresham & The Free Food Tickets “Step by Step/I cried Boo”. Willie's brother Jimmy (Jimi) played in Rose Grier's band. It's still a West Coast connection thing going on. [somewhere in Robbk's posts mentioned Rosy Grier].

There was a Grier listed as a songwriter on a couple songs on records related to Larry Johnson.  Also, James Conwell was a writer on one, (a Bobby Mac song) as well.  So, Johnson crossed paths with several key L.A. music production people.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Kenb said:

There seem to be too many Johnsons now I think Bill is different to Larry

I found this connected to Roscoe Weathers and I quote

"A Blues Boy Bill Johnson co-written high pitched tin whistle number, or piccolo for those than can distinguish, together with Cuban rhythms give us one of the winning numbers."

https://ukvibe.org/album_reviews/roscoe-weathers/

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!