Favourite Three Records Bought in 2021

This is easy for me as I've only bought one 45 this year....

Vicki Anderson - Wide Awake In A Dream. (DeLuxe)

If it had been opened up to "the last 12 months" I would have just a few more to choose from and would have included....

Candace Love - Wonderful Night (Aquarius)

The Mark Keys - My Sweet Baby (TCB)

- Kev

• Up vote 3
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Been buying mainly 70's/80's reggae

Do you listen to Hans (@fingerpoppinsoul) and Harry's weekly radio show? Broadcasting out of Amsterdam for more than 25 years, they play a lot of lovers/reggae among the deep and sweet sounds because of its soul content.

Last show here: 

And website here: 

http://www.fingerpoppinsoul.amsterdam

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Been buying mainly 70's/80's reggae

I do like Johnny Osbourne, might I suggest this one Rod : Johnny Osbourne - He Can Surely Turn The Tide

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Mine are:

The Vibe-Creators - I don't wanna be lonely, which I got off Alvaro in Leon, good Spanish Group I missed in 2010 🙂 flip is great as well...

Portrait - Love You From Now On,  not on YT, but this is seriously good
Mary Saxton - Is It Better To Live Or To Die, mines off the Lp..
The Jaynetts - Be My Boy Friend, Kent CD, don't know if it got a 45 release?? good one to swing your PANTS!

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Do you listen to Hans (@fingerpoppinsoul) and Harry's weekly radio show? Broadcasting out of Amsterdam for more than 25 years, they play a lot of lovers/reggae among the deep and sweet sounds because of its soul content.

Last show here: 

And website here: 

http://www.fingerpoppinsoul.amsterdam

I'll follow up on that, thanks.

I must admit I rarely listen to podcasts and radio stations. There's always something else to do.

I'm new really to buying reggae though have bought the odd record down the years and had a very small 12" collection but lately I've been buying a lot. In my head something fresh and something easy on the pocket [£5-25 usually]. Still buy soul albums [mainly 2-step] and cheaper end of Northern 45s but I'm usually familiar with those tracks so excitement of something new is not there. Get them and just slot them into the others.

Spend most of my time going through Discogs and seeing what's for sale and playing those I don't know [most !] on YT.

Unlike the NS scene you can get a nice track for £1.99

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

I'm gonna go with one of his earlier efforts which I got around 18 months ago

I bought a couple of copies of this soulful reggae harmony tune and will pop one into the sales section later today. My copy is on the Impact label and a nice Ex condition.

Anything by Noel Bailey floats my boat.

Andy Mac

• Up vote 1
Social source share

"WHERE ARE YOU" - FOUR SONICS - TRIPLE B (Great version of Johnny Dixon on Boss)

"IT'S NOT THE SAME" - LITTLE ANTHONY - VEEP (Hexagonal label design)

"I WON'T NEED YOU" - GENE CHANDLER - CHECKER (Just pure Chicago class)

Just some of what I have been buying back this year.  Had them before, but regretted selling them.

P.S.  "It's No Sin" - Gene and Eddie - Mon'ca

Edited by D9 Ktf
Social source share

On 29/06/2021 at 08:28, Mal C said:

Mine are:

The Vibe-Creators - I don't wanna be lonely, which I got off Alvaro in Leon, good Spanish Group I missed in 2010 🙂 flip is great as well...

Portrait - Love You From Now On,  not on YT, but this is seriously good
Mary Saxton - Is It Better To Live Or To Die, mines off the Lp..
The Jaynetts - Be My Boy Friend, Kent CD, don't know if it got a 45 release?? good one to swing your PANTS!

The production on that Jaynetts track is fantastic. Cheers.

Dave

Social source share

On 01/07/2021 at 05:35, Middleman said:

Go on then, spill the beans......

The Drifters' "Money Honey", The Five Keys' "Glory Of Love", and The Checkers' "The White Cliffs Of Dover".  They were all songs I heard  on Al Benson's R&B show on WGES, and they were all huge and heavy 78 RPMs that I played on my parents' Victrola.  I replaced them all with 45s a few years later, after having dropped two of my burgeoning collection, and breaking them, and finding out that I could have my pick of hundreds of 78s and 45s for 10¢ a piece, or 5 ¢ a piece at charity shops, if I put a lot in a box, and in 3., 4, and 5 for a Dollar bargain bins in record shops.

They were 59¢ each brand new, back then (which was a lot of money considering the  average father was earning maybe $35-$40 per week.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Some wonderful choices. I've been busy adding tracks to my wants list.

Lockdown and a simpler life thereof has meant that I've bought more in the past year than for many years. I've replaced knackered copies of well played 45s  and upgraded LPs.  I decided to fill a box with newer releases and we are living in a renaissance age for excellent soul related new music. Anyway here are the votes of the Sussex jury.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Soulmark said:

Yes Neil got to say rueben Howell class tune bought a few years ago when it was cheap thanks mark

funny one Ruben Howell, I heard Jimmy Elledge fist so that's my favorite, and Carl Carlton is second... Ruben although a great song, is expensive now, maybe its because that the one that was played in the clubs? but I don't see the 'hoo harr' about it...

that Prophecy 'Rain in My Life' is sooooo good, serious bit of soul music!!

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Been a bit mad this year and bought a few hard choice but:

1. Jack Montgomery - Don't Turn Your Back On Me - Barracuda

2. Dean Courtney - Love You Just Can't walk Away - MGM demo

3. Tony Middleton - To the Ends of the Earth - MGM demo

First 2 were buy backs from when I sold a collection in 05/06, last one first time but just love it. Can we have Top 5 🙂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The Bonnievillie  Get Ready                                                      Now Records 

The Bitter & The Sweet - I Wont Have Any Babies For You      The Anything, Everything Records

The Tom - Emmanuel And Ron Experience ‎– Why                   Golden Three Records 

Missed out on these so many times over the years or they have been of poor quality with a high price tag but finally got them, in great condition too.

now looking forward to playing them out in August

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!