still remember the feeling

17 hours ago, Gaz T said:

loved this 100 club play from the early 90s

perfection

how rare on a uk press ?

Only had had a US one,  hadn't realised it got re activated at the 100 club. Mr M,s tune for me. Keith Brady spin. Great record and about £15 on US Atlantic 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Keamus said:

Always loved this one.Upgraded to British about ten years ago. Think I sold my US issue for £25 and bought on British for £75.

Reminds me of Morecambe where I think Keith Brady used to DJ?

Yeah. Keith was a resident at Morecambe for Shaun.  Still miss spending time with him. Rest in peace my friend 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mark Bicknell said:

Deon Jackson's version is pretty good as well.

I disagree. It's a nice version. But pretty obvious the song is not in his favourite vocal pitch if you know what I mean. It just doesn' t really suit him.

Social source share

Do you think its one of those records that is actually  very rare on a uk issue  but not rare on a usa issue so its sort of been overlooked a bit because of that?

Great record - should be played again ! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Keamus said:

Pretty sure my US copy had a bit of distortion. No such problem with British!

The American 45 Atlantic SP pressings of this are fine. The PL pressings on the other hand all have a loud very annoying continuous 'hiss' that I believe is due to the use of a poor vinyl base and/or maybe a not so strong mastering job with it.

The american Atlantic/Atco masterings were at times just fantastic (even better than first local releases at times when there were) and at other times just bad. As if they were not always done by the same people with the same quality control...

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

What is PS and PL?

SP & PL (my bad & not PS !), two of the most used pressing plants by the Atlantic/Atco group.

SP for 'SPeciality' and PL for 'PLastic'. There's also a MO styrene pressing but it's rarer IMHE.

MO for 'MOnarch' evidently. But I've never found those MO Altantic/Atco masterings that good.

It's only from late 1966 or about that they will give those pressing plant letters extension on the labels.

1435724509_Capturedcran2021-07-0700_24_53.thumb.png.d8027e68541a36ba78d6636d08658d3f.png

Left to Right ; SP, PL & MO

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Can’t find the SP version on discogs at all - sample photos are the PL or MO versions 

The discogs "reference catalogue" is open source's created. Hence why you have many pressing entries missing or doubles or more at times... Yet lately to create a new entry the whole process has become rather lengthy, complicated some and not even guarantee to be edited in the end if ever. Rather discourageing IME.

This was initially aiming to address such "multiple entries" issue. But now if a seller has either a promo or stocker SP pressing of Barbara Lewis and doesn't create a new entry for it, he will probably list it for sale under another pressing banner misleading the buyer. Had that few times. On 45cat.com they show all the 'remember feeling' stockers.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

First Atlantic 45 with the 2 letters extension after the matrix numbering. Record release dating from November 1966 : Solomon Burke's 'Presents For Christmas'. No MO pressings though for this release apparently. Corrected by 'Blackpoolsoul' here with pic below !806836185_Capturedcran2021-07-0713_23_45.png.fd6bf5907fbdf4bb37307a322e2e468d.png

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

On 06/07/2021 at 09:06, Chris Turnbull said:

Love this, however have had about four different US copies including a nice pink and white demo I’ve got now which looks and was graded M-, but none of them have played without some distortion on BL’s voice - just unlucky? 

My first copy was US styrene which played with significant hiss & distortion. I upgraded to a US vinyl copy which plays with no problems. There's also the Stereo version on the "Satisfying our Souls" Kent compilation which I really like.

Dave

Social source share

1 hour ago, Only Dreaming said:

My first copy was US styrene which played with significant hiss & distortion. I upgraded to a US vinyl copy which plays with no problems. There's also the Stereo version on the "Satisfying our Souls" Kent compilation which I really like.

Dave

Thanks Dave, 

Not to go off topic but I'm not very good at telling vinyl from styrene 🙃

• Up vote 1
Social source share

To be honest both tutorials wouldn't help me much if I wouldn't know better the differences. Although that may be just I who couldn't learn much at school either 😉 

The vinyl material is denser, softer (= more flexible) and have molded labels.

The styrene material is lighter, stiffer (= breakable) and have stuck-on labels.

Vinyl is often favored by dee-jay as they can back-cue more carelessly. It is also believe that styrene records are more fragile but... actually not in my experience. Although when a styrene groove is worn it can hisses, distort in the high frequencies and sound painful. True !

If dee-jays back-cue with a styrene copy and without a conical stylus (every dee-jay should know better) they will damage the groove irremediably (cue-burn). The styrene groove is also more prone to bad needle wear than vinyl since the material is stiffer where vinyl is softer.

All of that gave styrene a bad 'reputation' amongst dee-jays. As some records where pressed on both materials some prefer to go for vinyl anytime they can. Where I have always compared the masterings and where my preference went with the ability of the materials to deliver respectively.

A well mastered and pressed styrene record will have more depth and a wider sound stage in the frequency spectrum. Where a vinyl can't achieve such specifications. Although depending on the tunes vinyl can sound more appropriate for exactly the opposite reasons IMO.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Great tune have the US issue and demo - no problem with either. I think that program (Chasing Rainbows?) that featured Morcambe and had this playing really brought it to the fore and gave it a boost. The other two tracks from memory the Champion and Bobby Hebb - You want to Change me, all 3 tracks just sounded brilliant on the report/feature.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Shane Cosgrove said:

Great tune have the US issue and demo - no problem with either. I think that program (Chasing Rainbows?) that featured Morcambe and had this playing really brought it to the fore and gave it a boost. The other two tracks from memory the Champion and Bobby Hebb - You want to Change me, all 3 tracks just sounded brilliant on the report/feature.

The Morcambe piece was on C4’s Ear Say as a piece by Gary Crowley if I remember right 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!