Dancing Comp

We all know that dancing competition draw punters,to the venues,And theres abit of a buzz about it,And the judging is a lot to be desired,I can remember doing Wigans first anniversary comp was that the first one on the northern scene i asked a few people who went to the torch they could'nt answer me on that one is anyone there who can put me right on this.

Cheers billy

Ps.curosity kill the dog lol

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I always found them a bit of a yawn, escaping into the record bar.

there was one thing about them that always amused me though,

when the lights went up, you could always spot the ones that had

overdone the old gear. & then there was the dutch courage aspect. I can't dance

for shite, but I'm definitely in with a chance. sorry, I'm being cynical again.

Edited by macca
Social source share

Personally I love watching a good dancer.. I don't just mean ones that can spin at 400 revolutions a second, I mean ones that look like they're really feeling it and loving it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Always extemely subjective these dancing comps. Saw Joanne Leech win at the Torch. I entered one at Wigan in '75, got the loudest cheer (yes, modest I know!) but Richards Searling's mate was in it, no suprise who won!

I have always loved dancin' and would dance nearly all day or night at any venue, but I never did gear (and I am knocking anyone who did gear, most of my mates did and too each their own), I was just fit. I have many mates who can confirm it to this day (some still how the f*** did I dance all night!) Truth is I love the music and dancing. Anyway, back on topic, Comps have always been part of the scene and always will I guess. Good honest fun IMHO.

Edited by jim g
Social source share

me too soulgirl, but it's the comps I'm not keen on. I find it all too staged.

Yes, I guess :thumbsup: I've always fancied entering myself but find when the records start playing I either really hate the record or don't 'feel' it so can't compete :D

Social source share

Provern through history the best dancers are from notts!.You no who they are . :shades:

Yes its true,I was a notts lad ,Palais Brit Union and so on,even tho' I say so me sen ,I was one of the best dancers around, won a few comps in my time (about 34 year ago ), more of a shuffler these days,dont do comps any more tho' to old and knackered,dont like to see em these days,I stand there thinking "call that dancing they aint got a clue " just reminds me of what I cant do anymore :wicked:

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Probably the only thing that would tip the balance when pondering should I/Shouldnt I go.

If there is a dance comp, I am more likely to decide not to go.

Apart from the nonsense of trying to decide who is 'best', when comparing an acrobat like Trickster, or an elegant smooth dancer like Drew (The girl, not the guy on here. I dont know SS's Drew), more often than not the records played in the dance comp are ones I would quite like to dance to, but cant because I wouldnt want to put myself in that position. AND the 3 or 4 records played tend to take up about half an hour. Having paid to listen to and dance to records, having that half hour wasted is a major irritation.

It also completely nullifies the 'advice' I give to friends who might make a first or very occasional visit to a Northern Soul club, to just dance how you want. As long as you are enjoying yourself, and not taking the Mickey, no one will mind. And then there are 100 gawpers, picking apart peoples dancing, and awarding rankings to decide who is the best.

And finally, I know a few guys take the comps really seriously. And if they dont win, all it serves it to cause upset, and moaning etc etc. It has to spoil their night. Surely that is a bad thing. Isnt it?

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Just like the live music..If there is another room that we can go to while its on then all is well..Never have been a fan of the dancing comps :shades: ,too many think its about throwing yourself all over the floor out of time to the beat..Its the highlight of a weekender for some but not my cup of tea at all..Live and let live as long as i don't have to watch..

Social source share

Yes, I guess :wicked: I've always fancied entering myself but find when the records start playing I either really hate the record or don't 'feel' it so can't compete :thumbsup:

HEY GIRL SIT BACK AND RELAX WHILE I WORK, THERE WAS A DANCE I DANCED TOO THEY CALL IT THE BOGOLOO, I CAN DANCE AS GOOD AS U, OK THEY CALL ME THE WOMEN ON THE DANCE FLOOR, I CAN ASURE U HAVENT SEEN NOTHING YET TILL U C ME DO THE CHENE CHANDLER LOL, CHASING AROUND KAREN PACKING MY BAGS 4 CLEETHOURPE, FEW SPELLING MISTAKES WHAT THE F..K I'M ON A HIGH KEEP ON KEEPING ON. BILLY :shades:

Social source share

:thumbsup: yep . took part in the first dance comp in wigan ,went on stage the place was packed ,felt a bit nervous my heart was pupping ten to dozen ,i looked around to see who was on stage with me ,idid not know them . untill the best dancer in wigan got on stage , i thought shit i have no chance hear ,his name was jeffrofrom wolverhamton,he won that heat ,cant remember the three tunes we danced to. that all i can remember so ktf ricric :shades:
Social source share

At the very first Cleethorpes all-nighter around 1974, I'd had that much gear that I foolishly entered the dancing competition.

I could dance a bit, but no great shakes on the acrobatics front.

Needless to say, I looked a right t**t at the side of the others, but I still enjoyed it.

The dancing competition has always been part of the scene, its just a great bit of fun.

(even if you do look a t**t).

Edited by SOULFULHOUND
Social source share

At the very first Cleethorpes all-nighter around 1974, I'd had that much gear that I foolishly entered the dancing competition.

I could dance a bit, but no great shakes on the acrobatics front.

Needless to say, I looked a right t**t at the side of the others, but I still enjoyed it.

The dancing competition has always been part of the scene, its just a great bit of fun.

(even if you do look a t**t).

I think it is time for an update in respect of dancing competitions .....

if they are to be held , they should be now done a la " Strictly Come Dancing " , complete with a panel in all their finery , made up of notables from / of the scene , discussing the merits of each contestant's performance .....

Doing that would be well worth the inclusion into any night .

What's " Gear " ? :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hmmmmmmmm.....Dunno :ohmy::huh::huh:

Bazza

Should I watch the programme on TV - " Top Gear " to find out more ?

Had to laugh ....... on the way to The Winter Gardens yesterday , there is a shop on Clee Road called

" The Speed Shop " ......

30 years on , how times have become liberated .

Malc Burton

Social source share

I think people who enter the dance competition, they seem not to be listning to the music. Jumping about and doing acrobatics out of time is not dancing. Hardly anyone breaks when there is a break in the records. People like Dennis Lee, Keb Darge, Soulie, Trickster, Drew, Billy, (there are more top dancers but I don't know their names, sorry) all spin and acrobatic at the right time. (the break in the records)

I think the competition should be judged on a mid tempo, a stomper, RnB and 70s dancer and if you can dance to all these in the different styles that makes you a good dancer the timing is everything. :huh:

Etsu

Edited by Etsu
Social source share

I think people who enter the dance competition, they seem not to be listning to the music. Jumping about and doing acrobatics out of time is not dancing. Hardly anyone breaks when there is a break in the records. People like Dennis Lee, Keb Darge, Soulie, Trickster, Drew, Billy, (there are more top dancers but I don't know their names, sorry) all spin and acrobatic at the right time. (the break in the records)

I think the competition should be judged on a mid tempo, a stomper, RnB and 70s dancer and if you can dance to all these in the different styles that makes you a good dancer the timing is everything. :huh:

Etsu

Across all the styles i`m yer`winner,and i can find the breaks..........Trikcster not a hope :ohmy:

Social source share

Across all the styles i`m yer`winner,and i can find the breaks..........Trikcster not a hope

Hi Backdoor, I believe you used to be a good dancer in your day. You just wish you are Trickster. :huh:

p.s. does anyone know how to delete the comments as I accidentally posted twice.

Cheers Etsu

Social source share

Hi Backdoor, I believe you used to be a good dancer in your day. You just wish you are Trickster. :huh:

p.s. does anyone know how to delete the comments as I accidentally posted twice.

Cheers Etsu

Well you`ve gotta`laugh at such optimism :huh::yes::(:lol: in my day,your day,anyday.........but your luverly :wub:

self proclaimed :ohmy: of the dance floor.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Thaks Nick!

Well you`ve gotta`laugh at such optimism in my day,your day,anyday.........but your luverly

self proclaimed of the dance floor.

The only thing Trickster self proclaimed :yes: of Aloha shirts on the Northern scene. :wicked:

Etsu

Social source share

Thaks Nick!

The only thing Trickster self proclaimed :thumbsup: of Aloha shirts on the Northern scene. :yes:

Etsu

Yup!!,not bad as there is only about 3 people not of Alohan extraction that wear em` Keb and two Clones or is that clowns :wicked:

Social source share

Yup!!,not bad as there is only about 3 people not of Alohan extraction that wear em` Keb and two Clones or is that clowns

Lots of people wear Aloha shirts nowadays specially soulies in Hawaii. :yes: Keb is just a Trickster Clone or is that clown. :wicked: And who's the third one?

Social source share

Lots of people wear Aloha shirts nowadays specially soulies in Hawaii. :thumbsup: Keb is just a Trickster Clone or is that clown. :wicked: And who's the third one?

You know sumfink i have forgot,was at the st ives nighter djing aswell anybody.......everybody :yes:

Steve Phyliss i think.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Across all the styles i`m yer`winner,and i can find the breaks..........Trikcster not a hope :ohmy:

Hang on big man,did'nt u say at the dome a few year ago,u wish u could dance like Trikcster mind u u have a good style of ur own i'm getting a smell a rat on hear.

Billy P.S Trikcster is no.1 in my books :lol:

Social source share

Hang on big man,did'nt u say at the dome a few year ago,u wish u could dance like Trikcster mind u u have a good style of ur own i'm getting a smell a rat on hear.

Billy P.S Trikcster is no.1 in my books :thumbsup:

On yer`bike Billy,if dancing means going round in circles the same identical circles trikcy`s your man,otherwise you can have a different dance for every record with style,you wind up you :huh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!