Articles: Amy Winehouse: A Personal Tribute .

I agree she was only 'soul' in the broadest sense of a definition but from my perspective as someone in their seventh decade who bought his first 45 in 1967 she'd be up there with Dusty  and Heather Small as one of the greatest British women singers. (a thread anyone?) I also agree with Shinehead that Joss Stone is outstanding as well.

Her tragic backstory provides a sad, poignant life story but IMO 'Back To Black' is one of the great British albums. As for the criticism, if it was a criticism, that she is a 60s tribute act - surely there isn't a singer anywhere who doesn't display their influences. 

Edited by Dukeburgundy
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

An excellent point Fiftyboiledeggs. I often wonder what Sharon Jones made of the whole affair. Cultural appropriation 1.0.1. What I find telling is that during the initial release and hype around Back To Black the influences were deliberately obscured/underplayed. No mention of Ashford & Simpson, Holland Dozier Holland or the Supremes from whose back catalogue was shamelessly plundered. We got oblique references to "60s girl groups" and The Ronettes. I honestly believe Amy found herself stuck in a 60s straight jacket from which she would've struggled to shake off.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!