Buyers Beware , A cautionary Tale

Hi

I thought I should warn every one on here about using family and friends when buying records , especially off a Mr Rob Rielly

a member on here. On July the 3rd I attempted to buy August Moon Wasted Years off him £280 inc P+P

because Mr Rielly had only just opened a paypal account paypal held my payment for 48 hrs until Mr Rielly had sent me the record first 

by special delivery, then they would release the funds. Mr Rielly didn't want to do this so I asked for a refund which Mr Rielly did.

Mr  Rielly explained that several members had bought records off him and said they had used family and friends with no trouble

and if I did this he promised that if any thing should happen he would see me alright (his exact words)

Against my better judgement I sent him the payment as family and friends and he sent me the record by special delivery as promised

here's where the fun starts!!!

Record arrive by special delivery Monday 6th July  pathetically packed in a Jiffy bag with two very thin card board mailers, my heart sank when the post man gave me the package as I just knew  what I was going to find - Yes the record was broken with a big chunk broken off.

I contacted Mr Rielly about the broken record and his sub standard packaging, he told me not to worry he would refund me and claim off the post office, I offered to send photos of the record and packaging for his claim but he didn't ask for the actual record or packaging back,

which I though was strange, neither would he give me his postal address to return damaged goods. I had to get his details from companies house. Mr Rielly also asked me to help him falsify his claim to the post office as he was worried his poor packaging would mean he would lose his claim. I haven't worked in over a year due to covid so I got in touch with paypal and my credit card who told me they could do nothing and that I should not have used family and friends. I have sent Mr Rielly countless messages both email/on here and by phone and  nothing -

no refund no reply, I have even asked the moderators on here to get involved , he replied to their first message by telling them he would repay me when he got his claim off the post office, when the moderators told him the right thing to do is  refund me first then claim , he has ignored all their messages since. I am now in the process of taking him to small claims court to get my money back but there's a court fee of £35 which I will have to pay, I will be contacting his employer and Royal Mail Fraud Dept but if he had done the right and honorable thing by refunding me my money, none of this hassle would be necessary, in short be careful when using family and friends  and DO NOT BUY ANYTHING OFF  MR Rob Rielly as you probably won't see your money again if there's a problem.

A Disappointed and skint soul-sourcer

ATB  Floyd

dIMG_0414.jpg.cb39251963b766f1b10a48ef2bfc1cfa.jpgIMG_0423.jpg.19e55c70203befd04da6578da2fdf120.jpgIMG_0424.jpg.86ebea7bdc8c19cc9823b109fb7eb2a5.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

Edited by Floyd
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 18/07/2021 at 18:01, Floyd said:

Hi

I thought I should warn every one on here about using family and friends when buying records , especially off a Mr Rob Rielly

a member on here. On July the 3rd I attempted to buy August Moon Wasted Years off him £280 inc P+P

because Mr Rielly had only just opened a paypal account paypal held my payment for 48 hrs until Mr Rielly had sent me the record first 

by special delivery, then they would release the funds. Mr Rielly didn't want to do this so I asked for a refund which Mr Rielly did.

Mr  Rielly explained that several members had bought records off him and said they had used family and friends with no trouble

and if I did this he promised that if any thing should happen he would see me alright (his exact words)

Against my better judgement I sent him the payment as family and friends and he sent me the record by special delivery as promised

here's where the fun starts!!!

Record arrive by special delivery Monday 6th July  pathetically packed in a Jiffy bag with two very thin card board mailers, my heart sank when the post man gave me the package as I just knew  what I was going to find - Yes the record was broken with a big chunk broken off.

I contacted Mr Rielly about the broken record and his sub standard packaging, he told me not to worry he would refund me and claim off the post office, I offered to send photos of the record and packaging for his claim but he didn't ask for the actual record or packaging back,

which I though was strange, neither would he give me his postal address to return damaged goods. I had to get his details from companies house. Mr Rielly also asked me to help him falsify his claim to the post office as he was worried his poor packaging would mean he would lose his claim. I haven't worked in over a year due to covid so I got in touch with paypal and my credit card who told me they could do nothing and that I should not have used family and friends. I have sent Mr Rielly countless messages both email/on here and by phone and  nothing -

no refund no reply, I have even asked the moderators on here to get involved , he replied to their first message by telling them he would repay me when he got his claim off the post office, when the moderators told him the right thing to do is  refund me first then claim , he has ignored all their messages since. I am now in the process of taking him to small claims court to get my money back but there's a court fee of £35 which I will have to pay, I will be contacting his employer and Royal Mail Fraud Dept but if he had done the right and honorable thing by refunding me my money, none of this hassle would be necessary, in short be careful when using family and friends  and DO NOT BUY ANYTHING OFF  MR Rob Rielly as you probably won't see your money again if there's a problem.

A Disappointed and skint soul-sourcer

ATB  Floyd

dIMG_0414.jpg.cb39251963b766f1b10a48ef2bfc1cfa.jpgIMG_0423.jpg.19e55c70203befd04da6578da2fdf120.jpgIMG_0424.jpg.86ebea7bdc8c19cc9823b109fb7eb2a5.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

His Postal address is on the front of the package

32.....LA14 3YP

Quick google and 

<edited due to privacy issues>

And after all this and I hope you are in the UK as well as this puts you in a very much stronger position as UK Sellers OR Buyers can claim through Royal Mail 

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19907/~/how-do-i-submit-a-claim-for-loss%2C-damage-or-delay-to-my-item%3F

Let me know how you get on and if it works you owe me an ice cream :)

Social source share

Hi 

yes i only noticed this once i had contacted companies house

as senders name and address are normally on the back off package

and his y`s look like a 7 to me when im not wearing my reading glasses

should really be full name and address off sender on special delivery items

but thank you  for pointing this out

ATB

Floyd

Social source share

Stuff like this leaves such a bad taste.  Buying and selling records is built on trust thankfully stuff like this is still quite rare. After 50 odd years of collecting soul records only been robbed once.

People tend to know the good guys, I can still come home from a niter with records worth 1000's without payment because the sellers know its safe and payment is always sent. Hope this guy does the right thing and sorts it out.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Hi 

yes i only noticed this once i had contacted companies house

as senders name and address are normally on the back off package

and his y`s look like a 7 to me when im not wearing my reading glasses

should really be full name and address off sender on special delivery items

but thank you  for pointing this out

ATB

Floyd

Sorry I just edited my post YOU CAN CLAIM if you are in the UK (see my edit)

Social source share

1 minute ago, Skegsoul said:

Stuff like this leaves such a bad taste.  Buying and selling records is built on trust thankfully stuff like this is still quite rare. After 50 odd years of collecting soul records only been robbed once.

People tend to know the good guys, I can still come home from a niter with records worth 1000's without payment because the sellers know its safe and payment is always sent. Hope this guy does the right thing and sorts it out.

To be fair I have had much better packaging damaged, it's the lack of communication that is messing this up and you never know he might be ill 😇

Social source share

Hi

i know he`s got my messages as you can see when he`s opened my emails or private messages on here, he`s just choosing to ignore them ,but he wont be able to ignore the N1 claim when i file  it this week to take him to court

ATB

Floyd

Social source share

Just now, Floyd said:

Hi

i know he`s got my messages as you can see when he`s opened my emails or private messages on here, he`s just choosing to ignore them ,but he wont be able to ignore the N1 claim when i file  it this week to take him to court

ATB

Floyd

Just fill in the Post Office claim form and it will save you going to court and £35

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19907/~/how-do-i-submit-a-claim-for-loss%2C-damage-or-delay-to-my-item%3F

Social source share

Hi

Will look in to the post office claim again , but when i first contacted post office they said i could claim if Mr Rielly sent me the original

receipt/proof of posting, but he wont respond to my messages

also what if post office dismiss claim then where do i stand

i should`nt have to do any of this Mr Rielly should do the decent

thing and take it on the chin and refund me, also re packaging

if you look closely Mr Rielly used 4 tiny bits off cellotape on card board stiffeners which became unstuck allowing the edge of record to stick out of stiffeners, this is how record got broken

ATB

Floyd

Edited by Floyd
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Hi

Will look in to the post office claim again , but when i first contacted post office they said i could claim if Mr Rielly sent me the original

receipt/proof of posting, but he wont respond to my messages

also what if post office dismiss claim then where do i stand

i should`nt have to do any of this Mr Rielly should do the decent

thing and take it on the chin and refund me, also re packaging

if you look closely Mr Rielly used 4 tiny bits off cellotape on card board stiffeners which became unstuck allowing the edge of record to stick out of stiffeners, this is how record got broken

ATB

Floyd

I think if you upload the images to the Royal Mail even the most lacking will see

Use the tracking (Post Office) and print and copy that as well

Oh and the last bit, ring them and speak to someone, it should help your claim remembering they don't cover the postage costs

Using F&F is a nightmare in these circumstances

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

I am shocked and horrified by this tale. No self respecting record collector or seller would ship a record with such inadequate protection. Using a Jiffy bag is lazy, stupid, thoughtless and irresponsible. Using an inadequate number of cardboard stiffeners is neglectful, stupider, boneheaded and completely out of order. The seller has to assume total responsibility for the safe delivery of any item money has been taken for - in essence, they have to do everything in their power to guarantee safe delivery. In this case, the seller has fallen woefully short of minimum standards, so should be avoided in future. If he reads this and feels ashamed as he should, he will refund all costs and offer compensation.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

HI

more bad news just been in touch with post office to make a claim

and they have refused as Mr Rielly has already made a claim and they wont pay out twice, unbelievable!!!

so Mr Rielly gets my cash and the compensation and i get nothing!!!!

its totally out of order when a 64 year old man who  can afford to wont pay his debts

Thanks for your support

ATB

Floyd

• Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

HI

more bad news just been in touch with post office to make a claim

and they have refused as Mr Rielly has already made a claim and they wont pay out twice, unbelievable!!!

so Mr Rielly gets my cash and the compensation and i get nothing!!!!

its totally out of order when a 64 year old man who  can afford to wont pay his debts

Thanks for your support

ATB

Floyd

That is such a shame now you need to use other routes such as Facebook and associates perhaps (This maybe another person with the same name in Barrow)

Rob.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Had a couple of similar from discogs first American sent record in poorly folded old wine box, said sorry to hear but it was well wrapped 

second was uk seller,wrapped as most uk sellers in firm envelope packed securely.

sent a note and full refund ( including postage)along with apologies that this had occurred.

as said in previous post there are horrible people and bad people 

brisoulrare= Good Guy 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Floyd,

With regard to Mr Rielly making a claim, I would have thought there’d be some small print defining what is considered an acceptable way to ship relatively valuable items via Royal Mail and from your photos, the packaging looks as if it falls way short. Unfortunately, it looks like he cut corners in order to save a few pence.

I know it won’t help you at the moment, but I’d be staggered if they actually pay him out, assuming he’s been honest about the packaging.

I like to think that most people are thoroughly decent and that he will feel under extreme pressure to settle this with you by paying back what he owes you. His reputation is at stake here and for less than £300, he has the opportunity to rescue it. 

Good luck with getting your money back 👍 

Social source share

I often use family and friends to make payment, but then its only with regular dealers/sellers that I buy from.  If someone I'm not 100% about or a first purchase, I'll add on the 4% to cover fees.  I see the 4% as an insurance payment. 

I'm sorry to hear that @Floydhasn't been refunded and hope he gets his money refunded soon.

Personally I wouldn't dream of sending a record in a jiffy bag, stiffeners or not.

Social source share

This is a really distressing thread Floyd, so I hope the seller settles the matter honourably and without further delay.

I once received a styrene record from the States, mint unplayed, $300+, snapped into three pieces. I got the refund, but the record still eludes me. When I buy from a general bric-a-brac dealer these days, I specify strictly no Jiffy Bags, bubble-wrap etc.

I once received a record by the Fantastics on Copa from a New York dealer. It came sandwiched between two cardboard stiffeners and had an edge crack. He promised me a discount on the next record I bought from him. Well that never happened. I reckon the edge was cracked from the start so he packed it badly. There was no sign of damage to the two pieces of cardboard so it was obvious the record had been deliberately ‘mis-packed’.

A decent collector-dealer will generally pack records as they would expect to receive their purchases through the mail. Anyone who fails to pack records inadequately does not deserve to be in the selling business.

Social source share

HI 

REMEMBER A SELLER ,SELLING A UK DEMO COPY OF BARBARA MCNAIR = YOUR GONNA LOVE MY BABY.

RECORD WAS SENT WITH STIFFNERS AND WELL PACKED,BUT WAS DELIVERD CRACKED .SPECIAL DELIVERY.

ROYAL MAIL REFUSED TO PAY BECAUSE IF WAS NOT IN A PADDED ENVELOPE JIFFY BAG.

ALSO REMEMER HAVING A RECORD DELIVERD IN A MAILER AND THE POST MAN FOLDID IT IN HALF TO GET IT IN THE LETTER BOX

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!