Tokyo Olympics

Source

19 minutes ago, Source said:

Opening Ceremony today

Tokyo Olympics: A Games in a pandemic, new sports, British medal hopes and global stars to watch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57865245

Events/teams/athletes looking forward to ?

Mike. I'm interested in the new  Canon R3 as its  is in the hands of some professional photographers for trials at the Tokyo games.  Can't wait to see the results because I'm in the market for a new camera.  . From a sporting point of view admire the tri athletes for the pure endurance,  will probably watch that and I think rock climbing on artificial cliffs is this time around,  should / could  be interesting to watch.  Never been a traditional track and field fan. 

Social source share

Karate Kata and Kumite for me.

Whoever wins medals will be the first and last to get them. I’m guessing they made a special concession for Japan. 

Im keen to have a nose through and see some interesting minority sports.  

Anyone have any ideas on that score? 

Social source share

35 minutes ago, Jnixon said:

Karate Kata and Kumite for me.

Whoever wins medals will be the first and last to get them. I’m guessing they made a special concession for Japan. 

Im keen to have a nose through and see some interesting minority sports.  

Anyone have any ideas on that score? 

Jade Jones will hopefully win a 3rd Olympic gold and become the only UK  female athlete To win Gold at three different Olympics . 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Jade Jones will hopefully win a 3rd Olympic gold and become the only UK  female athlete To win Gold at three different Olympics . 

She’s easily good enough but you never know what whippersnapper will be at her heels - her 8 /10 years ago. 

Will be a very interesting watch  that. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Rowing, rugby 7's, martial arts, cycling, volleyball, hockey and some track and field will be the sports i'm most interested in.

Just out of curiosity I'm intrigued to have a look at sport climbing!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Westender said:

Rowing, rugby 7's, martial arts, cycling, volleyball, hockey and some track and field will be the sports i'm most interested in.

Just out of curiosity I'm intrigued to have a look at sport climbing!!

I’m guessing climbing is timed?  

Who knew!  That does sound interesting. 

Social source share

Just watching the opening ceromony now , wheres all the coverage gonna be?cant see anything on the beeb listings today or red button.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Mach said:

Just watching the opening ceromony now , wheres all the coverage gonna be?cant see anything on the beeb listings today or red button.

was just looking for that myself - not sure what will be televised and when though but looks like mainly BBC and Eurosport with most live action being midnight to 3pm due to the 8hr time difference 

olympics.jpg

• Thanks 1
Social source share

I will be watching the boxing. 

Much prefer amateur/Olympic boxing to pro boxing. It's a proper sport, rather than a hyped money making event. 

Cubans are generally very good (as they train differently with lots of movement / footwork / defence) and Ukraine and Kazakhstan usually good too. 

Social source share

Sunday, 25 July - day two

Medal events: 18

Archery (women's team),

cycling (women's road race),

diving (women's 3m synchro), 

fencing (women's foil, men's epee), 

judo (women's -52kg, men's -66kg

shooting (women's 10m air pistol, men's 10m air rifle),

skateboarding (men's street), 

swimming (men's 400m medley, men's 400m free, women's 400m medley, women's 4x100 free relay), 

taekwondo (women's -57kg, men's -68kg), 

weightlifting (men's 61kg, men's 67kg).

Highlights

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57778808

Social source share

Yep, very enjoyable. Also guaranteed a gold or silver later with a taekwondo finalist.

Right now the absence of spectators hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the sport.

Social source share

Surfing is on at this games for the first time too.

In my experience, it doesn't generally make for particularly good viewing as a competitive sport. 

But at least with a typhoon on the way, it may make it a bit more exciting! Will wait and see. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

found the limited BBC coverage  a bit frustrating compared to previous years

so hit up an eurosport sub

plus points being all events live and on demand etc etc

minus being the commentary and presenters not as good 

bit of a shame but guess that's the way things are nowadays

Edited by Mike
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Been watching most on eurosports. Far better than the patronising coverage on the BBC. Looking forward to this Thursday 2am, BMX racing, my money is on van Gendt, good luck to Kia white, GBR, he's got a very tough quarter. 

15 hours ago, Fish Fingers said:

Surfing is on at this games for the first time too.

In my experience, it doesn't generally make for particularly good viewing as a competitive sport. 

But at least with a typhoon on the way, it may make it a bit more exciting! Will wait and see. 

As a non surfer I enjoyed it, last night, came across better than street skateboarding.

Social source share

As I’m driving it has been a case of listening to the coverage on the radio. BBC radio coverage and commentary has been brilliant.  John Hunt who normally does horse racing has been superb. 

Social source share

Agree with Geeselad.....that course looked frightening!  Rugby 7's has been great viewing, thought England were well out of it....what a fight back in the second half. Argentine look formidable, even with 5/6 players!!

Taekwondo has bored the shit out of me....together with that skateboard stuff! How can you award medals for that garbage is beyond me!!

Social source share

1 hour ago, Okehsoul1952 said:

Agree with Geeselad.....that course looked frightening!  Rugby 7's has been great viewing, thought England were well out of it....what a fight back in the second half. Argentine look formidable, even with 5/6 players!!

Taekwondo has bored the shit out of me....together with that skateboard stuff! How can you award medals for that garbage is beyond me!!

Taekwondo has been great IMO. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

so far enjoying most of things tuned into

been repeat hitting the rugby 7s, swimming, 3x3 basketball 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Still not for me Chalky.....jumping up and down like a demonic pogo stick whilst kicking aimlessly for three, two minute rounds.....still baffles me why squash isn't on the Olympic agenda!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Okehsoul1952 said:

Still not for me Chalky.....jumping up and down like a demonic pogo stick whilst kicking aimlessly for three, two minute rounds.....still baffles me why squash isn't on the Olympic agenda!!

It does seem striking in its omission, not nearly as big as it used to be, it seems to the layman. Underground sport 🤔, now there's a scene, can you play it it in ludicrously wide trousers? It might take off with the 50+ crowd.😂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Brilliant rides from Kye white and Beth Shriver see's them through to the semi finals tonight. 2am, it's as close to a nighter I've done. Up till 4 to watch last night and will be ' doing the double' by watching again tonight. Absolutely shattered today but we'll worth it. 😵💫😵

Social source share

The canoe slalom this morning was good to watch. Its a really tough, skilful event that i'd like to see more of. 

Our hockey teams are battling hard but getting a medal is going to be quite a challenge. Women have the greater chance, I'd say.

Social source share

Our hockey teams have been  struggling somewhat....but optimistic they can pull something out of the bag! 

The women's  rugby seven's has been riveting viewing.....even at 21-0 ahead against the Kiwi's,  just knew there was going to be a sting in the tail....alas, it did all go t**s up!! Great viewing, non the less! 

Thought the coverage of the trap shooting was dire....couldn't see the clay being launched....bloody dark background didn't help.....periodically saw a pinkish/ mauve puff of dust indicating a hit. Didn't have a clue what the individual scores were....as in previous Olympics, these would be on screen throughout the entire contest! 

Social source share

Looking forward to when the track cycling starts. 

Not a keen cyclist - but find all the indoor cycling a great TV spectator sport. 

I think the little guy who tootles round on the moped has got a cushy number 😁

Social source share

So proud of beth and kye, can't believe we did it. Very proud of the greatest show on earth, BMX racing. To put this in context it's like Sam dees hitting number 1 in the download chart, for me. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Agree..... Really entertaining the BMX. Hats off to both of them!

👏👏

Very much a 'street' sport compared to the public school type sports (rowing/dressage/rugger etc).

Social source share

Been a great Olympics so far for the GB Team.  Sports that are not often given the limelight they deserve allowed to shine and a better sporting example than the prima donna athletes.

Love the mixed relays, two fantastic results overnight from the triathletes and the swimmers.

Bet Shriver, broken tib and fib, twice, three broken wrists and her funding taken away.  Prime example that you can achieve your dreams with hard work and perseverance, never give up.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Been a great Olympics so far for the GB Team.  Sports that are not often given the limelight they deserve allowed to shine and a better sporting example than the prima donna athletes.

Love the mixed relays, two fantastic results overnight from the triathletes and the swimmers.

Bet Shriver, broken tib and fib, twice, three broken wrists and her funding taken away.  Prime example that you can achieve your dreams with hard work and perseverance, never give up.

The women's BMX program stopped a few years ago, she self funded, BC would even allow a sub to go with her. A real story of perseverance. Not a lot of love in the BMX community for British cycling, they've put a pittance into the sport but get a great deal back from race fees, license ect. The riders in the male program were recently on a £26 pd allowance ± a room in a house. 

Edited by Geeselad
Social source share

Just watched interview with Dina Asher-Smith, in between the blubbing......she wasn't backwards in coming forwards saying how good she was.....even fully fit imo she would of struggled against the Jamaican's!! Absolutely fed up of watching female athletes/contestants bawling their eyes out for for not achieving medal status. Just accept it, if you're not good enough you're gonna win zilch! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Chalky said:

yep agree totally with all that

have even rewatched some of the events

all great so far

Social source share

There's been some thrilling stuff. Great to see the GB successes but i've enjoyed watching sports like volleyball and handball that we dont play over her (at least not to a decent enough standard).

Not sure why we dont seriously play these sports. I recall playing VB at school and its the kind of game that requires little equipment and would be accessible to many.

Social source share

What a great week of sport!

Very disappointing to see that yet again (what could have been both a worthwhile and an enjoyable topic) just grind to a halt

Maybe it's time for a change/rest to this the freebasing forum

I will start a topic in support

here are...

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/421789-freebasing-forum-summer-2021/

Social source share

There seemed to be wide spread apathy from the begining.....guess members are eagerly awaiting the start of the footy season.....there seems to be more interest in wishing each other happy birthday!!!!

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Okehsoul1952 said:

There seemed to be wide spread apathy from the begining.....guess members are eagerly awaiting the start of the footy season.....there seems to be more interest in wishing each other happy birthday!!!!

though the only apathetic posts I saw on this topic were by yourself!

maybe its time people butted out of topics that they are not enjoying, your posts certainly come over poorly to me

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Source said:

though the only apathetic posts I saw on this topic were by yourself!

maybe its time people butted out of topics that they are not enjoying, your posts certainly come over poorly to me

On 26/07/2021 at 12:59, Stephen Houghton said:

No thanks 

sorry I missed this one

Social source share

Been a very enjoyable Olympics from the British perspective. Lots of medallists from different sports to enjoy. Not sure what has happened to the Rowers and the Cyclists have not been as dominate; case of other nations catching up or an ageing team? Some of our "high profile" Athletics team seem to have come into the Games carrying injuries but the swimming has been a particular highlight. The sight of Anna Dawson in the pool on the final leg to win gold with Caleb Dressel hunting her down was a great watch as was the Triathalon events. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just seen Team GB win another Gold in "Modern" Pentathlon - Fencing, Swimming, Show Jumping, Cross Country and Shooting. Pretty impressive. Looking forward to the 1500m and relays later this afternoon

Social source share

Its been great. So much to enjoy, both from a GB perspective and from the wider point of simply enjoying top sport delivered by wonderful athletes.

Our team has done far better than I thought they would with 58 medals so far and guaranteed 2 more with the boxing finalists. Thats an impressive return.

Oh and sport climbing is seriously skilful.

Social source share

12 hours ago, Westender said:

Its been great. So much to enjoy, both from a GB perspective and from the wider point of simply enjoying top sport delivered by wonderful athletes.

Our team has done far better than I thought they would with 58 medals so far and guaranteed 2 more with the boxing finalists. Thats an impressive return.

Oh and sport climbing is seriously skilful.

I remember at the start, they said the GB medal target was 45-70. 

Heading towards the higher end of expectations now. 

Particularly enjoyed the indoor cycling, climbing, boxing, BMX, beach volleyball (women's). 

I remember back in the day when we used to have to wait for Daly Thompson or someone to win a very occasional gold medal. eg We only got 12 medals / 3 gold in 1976.

London really changed everything. 

67 / 65 / 51 / 30 were last 4 Olympics (most recent first) 

Edited by Fish Fingers
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Just watching the women's synchronised swimming.

Not seen any of this for years. 

Mind blown..... Almost other worldly with the underwater camera angles  🤯

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

1. Shine Like Tokyo - Northern Soul Goes East - Radio 4 Sat 21 Sept
    All About The Soul by Stevie on Thu 19 Sep 2013
    • 34 / 2977