Chips - Weldon McDougal

Denbo

Now I understand that Chips was a record distribution company and that Weldon McDougal worked there but why is his name on so many Chips stickers that I've recently seen on American record labels of various descriptions?

IMG_3203[1].JPG

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Those Chips stickers are the worst! There is no way of getting them off the label without damage!

I wouldn't even try now. Some types of stickers have come off with a little water and time, but these are impervious to water and the glue sticks like poopoo to a blanket!😀

Edited by D9 Ktf
Social source share

On 23/07/2021 at 18:52, Denbo said:

Now I understand that Chips was a record distribution company and that Weldon McDougal worked there but why is his name on so many Chips stickers that I've recently seen on American record labels of various descriptions?

IMG_3203[1].JPG

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cCQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT3&lpg=PT3&dq=weldon+arthur+mcdougal+chips+record+distribution&source=bl&ots=6DIQtncVwL&sig=ACfU3U09RH4WGeDYHSgy7SyKUPqDYIwYvA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwisgoqW7IDyAhXkMuwKHTCUB4QQ6AEwEnoECBsQAw#v=onepage&q=weldon arthur mcdougal chips record distribution&f=false

So did chips only start in 1982 ?

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

I've got an Alexander Patten boot, the good one with two 'Chips' stickers, one each side... who ever did it really wanted this to pass it off as legit...  notmally you only find it on the 'PLUG' side right...

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

8 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

Alex Araco. I knew him well. 

The rest of the team I believe were:

Ed Gilreath, Jimmy Bishop and Harold Berenbaum

So why did Chips stickers have individual employee names on them too?

Social source share

8 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

Alex Araco. I knew him well. 

The rest of the team I believe were:

Ed Gilreath, Jimmy Bishop and Harold Berenbaum

A little off topic Kev ... but do you have any idea what happened to Jimmy Bishop ? He seemed to literally disappear off the face of the earth circa 70's and no one, not even is closest associates, have ever been able to account for his disappearance.

Social source share

• 6 months later...
On 23/07/2021 at 19:52, Denbo said:

IMG_3203[1].JPG

I have had records with other stickers but of similar ilk, all a part of the relationship building that sales representatives had/have to make to get noticed. I would imagine it would have tough trying to resist Weldon he was quite a character, somewhere I have an interview I made with him, he didn't pull any punches :-)

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!