Sam Moore "Give You Plenty Lovin'" - Is it really rare ?

I was looking at this amazing record and came across a couple of comments after Manship's auction last year

https://soulstrutter.blogspot.com/2020/07/sam-moore-1970-plenty-good-lovin.html

UPDATE 30th June 2020 - This record (M-) was auctioned by John Manship on 29th Jul 2020 and sold for £2,215! 

This is John's review:

"The very rarest Atlantic Soul 45 by quite some distance and it is utterly BRILLIANT!

Way beyond rare! Initially thought to be unreleased, with promo only "Tennessee Waltz" mono / stereo both sides being pressed. Recorded at Muscle Shoals 1970 by three of the studios stalwarts Dave Crawford, Brad Shapiro and Wade Marcus. As Muscle Shoals Alabama leaves the 60's decade with Sam Moore at the mike and these three virtuoso's constructing the most perfect Northern Soul dancer featuring the hints of the 70's Soul this legendary studio were about to create.

Is it me or would the fact that it was pressed 3 times Plastic Products (PL) Monarch Record Manufacturing (MO) and Specialty Records Corporation (SP) make the statement a little odd ? That's Memphis, Philly and California

Sam.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Interesting point.  So if there where three different pressing plants used and it got past the demo stage to be issued, where are all the copies?

Maybe for some legal reason they were all destroyed, or maybe there is a box full somewhere!  Time will tell!

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

I had a vague memory from when the LP of these sessions (and the 'Plenty Good Lovin'' 7") came out about 20 years ago reading that the project was shelved by Atlantic. I just Googled and found the below (link + relevant extract). So it looks like they sent out the demos and had the issues ready to go when things went sour..

image.thumb.png.4b5e8cdc61256315e3483d6852c2ad79.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/2002/09/04/resurrected-soul-32-years-late-a-sam-moore-masterpiece/e36ec5db-eb51-407c-9cbc-0ff960f14637/

Edited by Joesoap
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Joesoap said:

Bought it when it came out on Expansion in early 2000s. Think I could get my money back off them on the basis that it was publicised as 'previously unreleased'?🤔

Surely these are the collectables ,,, deleted sounds like a collectable already , 

Social source share

6 hours ago, Joesoap said:

I had a vague memory from when the LP of these sessions (and the 'Plenty Good Lovin'' 7") came out about 20 years ago reading that the project was shelved by Atlantic. I just Googled and found the below (link + relevant extract). So it looks like they sent out the demos and had the issues ready to go when things went sour..

image.thumb.png.4b5e8cdc61256315e3483d6852c2ad79.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/2002/09/04/resurrected-soul-32-years-late-a-sam-moore-masterpiece/e36ec5db-eb51-407c-9cbc-0ff960f14637/

Blimey

Where is that skip ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

does seem odd why its so rare.. issue only but still issued and pressed across america by plastics, specialty and monarch.. if the release was cancelled it must have been simultaneously all over  and recalled and destroyed.. either that or their could be boxes waiting to be found of all three variations.. so you pay your money and make the choice on it this one.. its not about money tho and as it stands its still super rare and great

king curtis was murdered 12 months after release so thats not really a scenario for it to be pulled

• Up vote 2
Social source share

As great as the record is, I do not find the fact that the issue is so rare in any way different to any other examples of this well known scenario with major record labels, Columbia, Rca, Mca, Arista/ Buddah, Warner Bros the list goes on, They all have numerous titles that an issue is very scarce.' Tennesssee Waltz' was the A side, so if the company wanted to promote  that  side and give his first solo effort on the logo the push they thought it deserved that was the best way to do it, not have some well known radio jock in a major city playing the flip and throwing the whole promotion in to doubt. There have been several examples of record promotion going wrong with the record loosing it's initial push because some radio play has been slanted towards the flip side, only for the record company to try again and release a second time. A little unusual perhaps for Atlantic during that particular period. Personaly I think it's just the price tag and the well known stature of the artist that has got this whole topic skewed.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!