Best ebay bargain over the years.

This Year:

Joey Dee-How can I forget -Mint Original Press -X in run out  - $30 Buy it now - delivered

Doni Burdick-  Candle on Soul king -£12 , listed as Doni Burdock 

otherwise I spent far too much on everything else.

Edited by Davlee
typing error
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I kept buying that Chevrons record "Love, I Love You", before it was getting played. Bought it a few times on M.M.C. and on Independence labels for not much money. I had a feeling it would get played, and it did!

Sold them on for a decent profit, to buy other records that I have to pay too much for!

Edited by D9 Ktf
Social source share

Just remembered a $25 Claudine Clark - Goodbye mama on Fayette - what a good take off of Come see about me and an easy £300 sound and so rare - £18 in 2018 and only 2 entries on popsike 

Might play it on Sat as we get going again at the Hare & Hounds - Whitwick - mini all-dayer 3.00 - 9.00

They're still out there for the dedicated / relentless vinyl hounds.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Vadnochka said:

Wow - Limelights - never seen one - what a sound

I see this was Feb 2010 - 

Yeah long time ago, a couple of years prior a Cavaliers on Shrine went through which I was watching, ending at 3am. Waited up until 1am and rose to £443 so I figured would end up a grand minimum and gave up. Next morning sold for just over £500 🥲. I think it was this copy that then sold on Manship’s auction for I think £6k.

Edited by Gspluck
Social source share

9 hours ago, D9 Ktf said:

I kept buying that Chevrons record "Love, I Love You", before it was getting played. Bought it a few times on M.M.C. and on Independence labels for not much money. I had a feeling it would get played, and it did!

Sold them on for a decent profit, to buy other records that I have to pay too much for!

I did the same, I got it on M.M.C first then got one on Independence for £5 or thereabouts, sold that one soon after for £25, guess I should have held on to it just a little longer!

I did pay £30 for an almost mint demo of Invitations - Watch Out Little Girl just before it got in-demand. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I sold a couple of 100 club anniversary singles about 18 months ago.

What surprised me was ebay suggested a price based on previous sales. Clever stuff.

So.....unless a seller is selling something uncommon, they should get a good idea of its likely worth.

Conversely, a rare record may well slip through if sold by somebody not clued up.

Ed

Social source share

Picked up many bargains on Ebay over the years but there's one that I always remember about 20 years ago. One morning before going to university I logged on Ebay, looked at the 45 listings. There was a french Seven Souls - I still love you, buy-it-now €2, with pic sleeve, listed just 2 min before. Of course I bought it. Turned out seller was living close to me in Munich. Picked it up the same day on my way to a soul do. Sold it same night for €250.

Social source share

Both years ago:

A Trinikas 'Black Is Beautiful / Remember Me' M- original 45 buy it now for $70 one Saturday morning.

Also, a box of 45s that I won for $100 that included a picture of the flip side of a Leon Gardener's "You Don't Care" funk 45 in the listing The box of 45s included The Incredibles "Nothing else to Say" and a few others I sold on to pay for the box of 45s. So I got the 45 I wanted for nothing.

Social source share

Being old enough to remember when you could find records in garages, newsagents, junk shops, the Co-op, DIY stores as well as record shops  for under 50p the thought of paying a couple of hundred for a title I let go for peanuts, even it was a bargain, is just too depressing to contemplate. Even buying from the States paying more than $1 was a step too far in the 70s. Prices seemed to be relatively cheap in the early 80s as well.

When eBay came along I wasn't really looking to buy 45s as there was so many great CDs to buy which had almost every decent track in perfect sound with extensive sleeve notes. However around 15 years ago I started buying UK releases of 60s records that I wanted , but couldn't afford, when I was a teenager. These seemed to be almost the same price as back then, so very cheap . The obvious biggies still went for quite a lot but loads of classics and mid tempo records were usually under a tenner. There was plenty of stuff on Atlantic, Chess, London, Stateside and the like for around £3 to £10.

A couple I picked up around seven years ago were The Darlettes- Lost on President and Nancy Wilson - Where Does That Leave Me on UK Capitol bought for the starting bids of 99p because no one else wanted them. Both in near mint and by coincidence both Van McCoy songs. They're never going to be worth loads but seem to be listed around £20 to £30 on Discogs.

Some years back eBay seemed to make a number of changes to listings that make bargains harder to find. The suggestive pricing and automatic re-listing leads to loads of over priced titles going round and round for months. Maybe I'm not adding the right filters but I don't have the time to look through hundreds of thousands of listings. Also sellers went over to other markets meaning that good stuff was not as plentiful. The bargains other people got all seemed to be quite a few years ago so it looks like prices are still on the up.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

My missus reminds me she went big-ticket but bargain on ebay 3 yrs ago for a Auto Trail Scout Six motorhome - buy it now or best offer - It had only been listed for 90 secs when she spotted it and got me to ring - down to Cambridgeshire next day - test drive - made him an offer getting a grand knocked off and did the deal - Missus paid up - I do all the driving - off to the coast again shortly - grand kids on board - getting arms like Popeye - no power steering / manual box - £30 a night leaves more money for shiny 7" things, so method in our madness.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Bought 240 records for £240 at an eBay auction in 2008, nearly all of them were mint originals. Sold part of the collection to JM(not my best ever decision)and most of the others on EBay for more than £2,500.

Would be interested to know if anyone knew  the owner, I bought them from a guy called Chas Hooper who owned a drum music shop in Darwen, he said that he found them in his brothers loft after he passed away.

Edited by Tomo
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

About 8 years ago seen an International GTO’s listed not stating if an original or boot and starting at a tenner. Could see the Bell Sound stamp in the photo do bid £25 to keep an eye on it, expecting it to go up to true and not thinking I’d win. Forgot about it for the week then was very pleasantly surprised to find I’d won it for 20 quid!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bought a Lorraine Chandler I can't hold on , about 2009. $20 delivered. Nothing out of the ordinary until it turned up. White Demo in totally mint condition. I did the right thing and e-mailed the seller but didn't get an answer (o dear what a shame) I've still got it.

I didn't know until then that  I can't hold on is the B side on the demo....

Social source share

One evening Dave Pinches called me and said theres an innersection let me love you about to end its at $40 buried in a none soul section of ebay... logged on two mins to go and won it for $40... yeeehhhhh two weeks later it arrived but the seller had put $200 on the customs ticket had to pay £70 duty... still a cheapie after all that... i gave the seller bad feedback for his fuck up😁🤣

Social source share

Back in the early 2000s found a batch of 50 x 45s listed in Florida, included was a Timmie Williams Competition, won them for $20 advised the seller I did not want the all the 45 but she insited in sending them.

All arrived a week or so later but included was a copy of Natural 4 ABC issue, that I never saw on the list.

Had may great finds in the early Days of EBay I had a great Multi search program for EBay that I ran every night  that found lots of things hidden away.

Ian

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!