Keep the faith saying/motif

this post by mel brat back in 2007 maybe worth a repost?

Posted October 10, 2007 (edited)

Many African American secular phrases have their roots in the Christian (though not Catholic!) religion which they transferred to everyday usage. The fact that these expressions were very familiar to members of the black American community made it a natural occurance, just as Gospel music affected and influenced Soul music itself. The very term "Soul" music is the most obvious example in fact, with religious overtones originally.

In an article he wrote on Northern Soul in 'Voices From The Shadows' magazine, Godin himself noted how the terms that he had adopted directly from the Civil rights stuggle ("Right On!" etc.) went on to became popular on the Northern Scene and became somewhat diminished with overuse.

These expressions were not so much used in everyday conversation per.se. (I hear them used far more nowadays in fact!), but were simply another way the UK Soul scene - in the North primarily - adopted common links with what was then, a distant and somewhat "exotic" culture whose music they admired, while also forging an underground identity of it's own. Remember also that we were much closer to the idealistic 60s in 1971 than we are now, and the idea of universal "brotherhood" did not seem quite so distant!

It's perhaps worth remembering that Dave Godin's column in Blues & Soul magazine was the ONLY regular news that early rare soul fans had with what was happening on the wider scene prior to 1972 or thereabouts and was very influential as a consequence. His visits to the Wheel, Pendulum, Blackpool Mecca et.al. were faithfully reported along with the records played such as Sandi Sheldon, Jackie Lee, Bobby Hebb etc. He would regularly also print lists of "reader's faves" sounds which would include things like "The 81" and "In Orbit", and this may have been the first many younger fans had heard of these records' existence.

There were NO underground fanzines at that time (as far as I know), so Godin's fortnightly column was absolutely vital reading for "my generation". He offered much needed sympathy and support when the "rare soul" scene was under constant criticism by other Soul journalists (who sneered at it as unhealthy and elitist), or was being totally ignored by the prevailing rock music press. Consequently, the scene felt a little vunerable and under seige (as always!) and his column was one area where fans of rare soul felt completely at home. Godin never claimed to have "invented" Northern Soul as a genre, but through his column he enabled the concept and club playlists to reach a wider audience.

Incidently, I wonder how many of us had to sneakily look up the word "esoteric" in the dictionary, only to find that it perfectly described the rare soul scene as it was then? - and who could ever use the word now without evoking the memory of the late lamented Dave Godin?

RIP Dave.

Right on, Keep the Faith now.

Edited October 10, 2007 by mel brat

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/57820-coining-of-phrases-on-the-scene/?do=findComment&comment=596888

Edited by Mike
  • Thanks 2
Social source share

I guess there's no more SOUL FREAKS left anymore then....

I used to see a lot of 30inch waists and 40inch bottoms.....now I see exactly the opposite!

KTF does feature many times on here as members comment as an extension to their signing off....so its still alive and kicking.

Soul patches, tee shirts, and even tea mugs all still for sale incorporating the three little words.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

I guess there's no more SOUL FREAKS left anymore then....

I used to see a lot of 30inch waists and 40inch bottoms.....now I see exactly the opposite!

KTF does feature many times on here as members comment as an extension to their signing off....so its still alive and kicking.

Soul patches, tee shirts, and even tea mugs all still for sale incorporating the three little words.

Ed

Agree with all that just never actually hear it said.

Social source share

5 hours ago, El Corol said:

Does anyone seriously use the word “div” these days 😁

Keep the faith 👍

That made me laugh, you never hear that saying anymore, used to be a common term for a wanna be pretend soulie, Div" Divvy" are they still about nowadays 😆

Social source share

Like people coming to venues with bags and covered in badges ,nothing but deodorant in the bag.or a t shirt in the bag with numerous logos on ,stickers on the back of the car etc,etc,etc.whats all that about,and now even on the back of your caravan,and on your mobile scooter now too 😆🤣 bring it on 

Edited by Stephen Houghton
Social source share

6 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Ha ha...

If all goes well, I'm off to rife in a weeks time, and I will be sporting my xl Millers shirt several times during my stay.

I'll leave the dee da do t shirt at home. 

Ed

Good on ya Ed 

You will look no more ridiculous than some of the clowns who have pulled the shirt on for money at Millmoor , Don Valley and The New York Stadium over the years.

👍

Edited by Shinehead
Social source share

5 hours ago, Chalky said:

What has dancing into your 60s got to do with the question that started this….quoting the daft terms we have picked up along the way?

Well if KTF is daft, maybe old men dancing on there own, to old love records is daft as well!?

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Before Andy Pebbles joined Piccadilly Radio (about 73/74)he was with Radio Manchester ( or Manchester Radio) and I’m sure he used the phrase (KTF) on more than one occasion on his Sunday show ( which was a Soul spot) on that station.

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Surely KTF pales into insignificance compared to still using NS.

The kind of "soul" they like up North.

50 odd years on, and maybe time for a different collective description encapsulating the world appreciation of the music, or is that too complex?

Perhaps keeping the faith in the way of life affectionately known as Northern soul is as good a description as any, at the end of the day! 

Ed 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Northern Soul might have started as "the kind of soul they like up north" but it's long been a genre in its own right, and one with a global reach. 

And when you're part of a special club, you've got to have secret phrases that are known only to initiates. They give you that much needed sense of belonging. Dib, dib dib, dob, dob, dob!

A large banner at my local football club states then now and forever , pretty much sums up my view on the term northern soul. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Up to a half of NS is also "popcorn"

A good 25% is Motown.

Modern, R&B, blue eyed, etc.

Yes, let's keep it simple.

And finish with it will never be over for me!

I used to laugh at middle aged Teddy Boys and Girls, in their attire.

Must be plenty laughing at us now:)

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 28/07/2021 at 00:12, Baz Atkinson said:

I think it should be replaced with Keep Your Hair , seems age specific for so many soulies these day ? 

..or 'keep your teeth' given some the... ahem...substances consumed over the years.😬

I never say 'northern soul' personally unless I'm taking to someone who knows what I'm talking about. If some div at work or something asks me what music I'm into, I often say, 'I'm not really into music' rather than get into it all.....😁

Edited by Joesoap
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Personally i regard northern soul as a retro scene , a hip happening scene it ain't, stopped being that decades ago surely, just a way of having a laugh, I'm in my 65th year & I'm lucky enought to be fit & when I go out I celebrate that fact . Rare/deep soul now that's a different matter , Doris Duke 'I don't care anymore ' boy oh boy anyone that's ever had their heart broken try & keep it together whilst listening to that !

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!