Help with ID

Geeselad

I have a copy of, the C.O.D.'s- I'm a good guy, white demo to boot, shame it plays the below, an unknown, to me, early soul/ blues number. Please excuse my naive attempts at recording I'm still a complete novice. Any help, interestingly the dead wax has the same cat. Number as the one on the C.O.D.'S Tune, howsxthat happen? I'd assumed the record was just mislabeled, it's seems the actual master plate was mis titled. 🧐

https://app.box.com/s/1jbh5ts320jlki3jaw3jhal3282qvs7v

• Up vote 1
Social source share

This was apparently what the traineys at the pressing plant were given to work on. Taking a spare printed label floating around and any template to press on a record with.

One would expect that such items would be destroyed but my guess is that some took them test pressings home and they found their ways in record stalls decades later.

FWIW from that same pressing plant of yours I have a labeled promo of Johnny Sayles 'don't turn your back on me' on Mar-V-Lus playing Gene Chandler 'think nothing about it'...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I recognise the song.  I'm sure I bought the record during the mid 1960s in Chicago.  But, unfortunately, I can't remember the artist or song title.  I think it is "Baby, That's a Sign".  or "I Wake Up Crying".  Both are titles for which I have probably 2 or 3, or 4 records with that title.  If I think of it I'll post a video of the record.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Robbk said:

I recognise the song.  I'm sure I bought the record during the mid 1960s in Chicago.  But, unfortunately, I can't remember the artist or song title.  I think it is "Baby, That's a Sign".  or "I Wake Up Crying".  Both are titles for which I have probably 2 or 3, or 4 records with that title.  If I think of it I'll post a video of the record.

Rob, I thought If anyone can I'd, you'd know it. 

Social source share

5 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Rob, I thought If anyone can I'd, you'd know it. 

Don't forget that The Yank is also from Chicago, and his heyday in music there was also the 1960s, so he may well come up with it.  I wonder if he's seen this thread?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

This was apparently what the traineys at the pressing plant were given to work on. Taking a spare printed label floating around and any template to press on a record with.

One would expect that such items would be destroyed but my guess is that some took them test pressings home and they found their ways in record stalls decades later.

FWIW from that same pressing plant of yours I have a labeled promo of Johnny Sayles 'don't turn your back on me' on Mar-V-Lus playing Gene Chandler 'think nothing about it'...

Makes sense, the label is slightly mis cut .

Social source share

11 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Thanks Matt, I see it's quite rare, and at least one more in a mis pressed like mine. Not sure about the trainee theory now. 🧐🤔

Mis presses can be rare. Yet I doubt many are worth much in collector's circles. The one just like yours that sold on the eVilBay with 1 very suspicious bid at the starting price of £350 is "fishy". 

Even more so when the "right" presses on the Nite Owl label sold accordingly for what it is under £20. It's not even a "soul" record. Maybe a 'meh' R'n'B-rocker-jerker of some sort...

Or if ever there's a new 'trend' amongst collector with deep pockets I might pull out my Johnny Sayles promo on Mar-V-lus mis press playing Gene Chandler for a good profit 😛

Social source share

I've got one of these somewhere. Never thought of it as anything more than an oddity/mistake and I've certainly never regarded it as having any significant value. Pretty sure it's been mentioned on here a couple of times before too, which suggests it's not uncommon....

Edited by Godzilla
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2021 at 10:54, Tlscapital said:

Mis presses can be rare. Yet I doubt many are worth much in collector's circles. The one just like yours that sold on the eVilBay with 1 very suspicious bid at the starting price of £350 is "fishy". 

Even more so when the "right" presses on the Nite Owl label sold accordingly for what it is under £20. It's not even a "soul" record. Maybe a 'meh' R'n'B-rocker-jerker of some sort...

Or if ever there's a new 'trend' amongst collector with deep pockets I might pull out my Johnny Sayles promo on Mar-V-lus mis press playing Gene Chandler for a good profit 😛

WOW……it’s been a while since i read so much garbage on a post! Maybe if you actually knew the record you wouldn’t make such dumb statements! 😂

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Lambrettagp200 said:

WOW……it’s been a while since i read so much garbage on a post! Maybe if you actually knew the record you wouldn’t make such dumb statements! 😂

WOW heard it and gave my opinion. Can that count for "knowing" it ? And I stick to my opinion as to what it is.

Is that what you call garbage or you just use social media to unleash your frustration and be rude to people ?

Educate and tell us what's the story behind that record and how much is it selling for. Researches were done.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Lambrettagp200 said:

I don’t need to unleash any frustration buddy…I’m quite at peace with the world. But when you started rambling on with your inaccurate assumptions, I just thought you should be pulled up. 😉

No rambling on my behalf. You words were not of peace. Your side to the story behind that record revealing it all for the OP and the rest of the world or at least the few of us on here remains untold... Common 😃

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

No rambling on my behalf. You words were not of peace. Your side to the story behind that record revealing it all for the OP and the rest of the world or at least the few of us on here remains untold... Common 😃

I’m not really following you fella, but I guess you might be a little upset. So I’ll apologise and let you crack on. 😀

Social source share

13 hours ago, Lambrettagp200 said:

It is rare……you’d best do your own research and find out the truth. However, if you want to sell it for £20, I’ll take it and any others you can get! 😉

I'm intrigued as to why you think there's demand for this record.
However, I just dug my copy out and checked to verify it's the same as the OP. It is.

As this is the second time it's been played and was originally bought as New Old Stock I'd confidently grade it as Mint-

Feel free to make an offer....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I'm intrigued as to why you think there's demand for this record.
However, I just dug my copy out and checked to verify it's the same as the OP. It is.

As this is the second time it's been played and was originally bought as New Old Stock I'd confidently grade it as Mint-

Feel free to make an offer....

Good morning buddy. 
I never said there was a demand for the record….so no need to be intrigued. 😀

As for an offer, I’ll happily pay £20 each for as many copies as you can bring me. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!