Leave a Little Love (Northern Soul)

Mal C

Who would believe it, but yes Lulu's "Leave A Little Love" is excellent. It is the original version written by the great Les Reed. This was before Patti Austin's also excellent Coral records version! I bet that won't suit the purists😉

This weeks show is great with a good selection of tracks and some that were new to me, which is always a good thing!

Edited by D9 Ktf
Social source share

5 hours ago, D9 Ktf said:

but yes Lulu's "Leave A Little Love" i

Cheers mate, nice of you to say, and I'm glad Lulu's version is the original.

I wonder do you know if Emma Rede's 'I Gotta Be with You' / Columbia is the first between her and Malcolm Hayes on Filmways?  says SUTO Music / Musicways so maybe not, be cool if it were, cause Emma's wins that one also...

Social source share

On 02/08/2021 at 16:34, Mal C said:

Cheers mate, nice of you to say, and I'm glad Lulu's version is the original.

I wonder do you know if Emma Rede's 'I Gotta Be with You' / Columbia is the first between her and Malcolm Hayes on Filmways?  says SUTO Music / Musicways so maybe not, be cool if it were, cause Emma's wins that one also...

Sorry, on this one Malcolm Hayes is before Emma Reed's. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I put Clare in an awkward situation with Lulu.

Clare was interpreting [BSL] for Lulu's set at Manchester Pride. 

I told Clare that when she meets up with Lulu beforehand to go over the lyrics she can mention that her version of Patti Austin's original has had some plays on the scene.

She did and Lulu wasn't amused.

"I know Patti well and I didn't copy her song" kinda thing.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

59 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I told Clare that when she meets up with Lulu beforehand to go over the lyrics she can mention that her version of Patti Austin's original has had some plays on the scene.

I mentioned in an earlier post that Lulu's was the original cut made here in the UK. Patti Austin's version is a cover version. It is usually the other way round, but not in this case!

Social source share

On 04/08/2021 at 15:19, Modernsoulsucks said:

Blimey 😕   that sounds uncomfortable; well you can ask Claire to revisit this by sending Lulu my mix, Original and best!!

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Skyliners Brilliant First time listen who said rare can’t be good?

Jimmy Ricks always sends me to the lizard lounge in a nice way,

As you probably know Tambi Garret did ‘Leave A Little Love’ on Ascot same year as Patti ’66 a year later than Lulu.

It’s Billy Over Jerry for me it’s a bit like Darrell versus Sonny’s versions of ‘open the door to your heart’

Gail Nevels – Great Double sider!!!

Cheaters on Jolo another rare track but a bit repetative for me….

Always loved the West Coast Distributers and the use of the metronome forming the base of the track.

Thought you played a few early doors tracks towards the end IMHO but overall a great set Mal

Cheers

Kirsty

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!