Heartstoppers - the Curry sisters

2 hours ago, Peternickols said:

I’m not sure if this has been proven before but I can confirm that sisters Joyce and Geraldine (birth name Jeraldine) Curry (comprising one half of the All Platinum group The Heartstoppers) are two of the three sisters of deep-soul favourite Doris Duke (birth surname Curry). These names appear as her sisters in her obituary and as they were all based in Newark NJ, the coincidence is far too great not be a fact. (Doris was born in Georgia but relocated to NJ at a very early age as she attended a Newark elementary school and then High School). She had one other sister, Regina, but I am not aware of her having a singing career. Those with an interest beyond soul might like to know that Doris’ husband Johnathan Augustus Willingham was Johnny ‘Gus’ Willingham, a founder-member of the doo-wop and R&B group The Cadillacs. Doris and ‘Gus’ had four sons.

here you go for the obit:

https://www.perryfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Doris-Duke-Curry-Willingham?obId=4256621

Social source share

Thanks for your kind comments. The 45 you are featuring is mentioned in my new article on Doris Duke which I believe Mike the admin is going to post to this group shortly. Keep a watch out for it. I also put an mp4 of both sides of the 45 on a Facebook group I belong to called Soul & R&B From The Vaults

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I also think Doris was the elder sister - when you finally finish an article there's inevitably something new that shows up! On Facebook, Terry Davinson has kindly drawn to my attention a 10th October 1967-released Columbia 44243 single by the Uptights featuring "Shy Guy" (which I'm sure Northern fans on this site will know) coupled with the slower, more emotive "He Said". Both sides are co-penned by Doris Willingham (Duke) and Richard Tee but on listening to them (they're both on You Tube) I don't think Doris is featured on vocals and this is an opinion confirmed by a Japanese soul web-site. This group of Uptights has apparently no connection with the group of that name who recorded for Skye under the Poindexter Brothers, the lead singer of that group being Barbara Joyce of BT Express fame. There was also a New Orleans group of the same name and an Uptights Band - again with no obvious connection to the New York-recorded group on Columbia. If anyone knows any of the personnel of 'this' particular group of Uptights I would be most interested.

the-uptights-he-said-columbia.jpg

the-uptights-shy-guy-columbia.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Peternickols said:

I also think Doris was the elder sister - when you finally finish an article there's inevitably something new that shows up! On Facebook, Terry Davinson has kindly drawn to my attention a 10th October 1967-released Columbia 44243 single by the Uptights featuring "Shy Guy" (which I'm sure Northern fans on this site will know) coupled with the slower, more emotive "He Said". Both sides are co-penned by Doris Willingham (Duke) and Richard Tee but on listening to them (they're both on You Tube) I don't think Doris is featured on vocals and this is an opinion confirmed by a Japanese soul web-site. This group of Uptights has apparently no connection with the group of that name who recorded for Skye under the Poindexter Brothers, the lead singer of that group being Barbara Joyce of BT Express fame. There was also a New Orleans group of the same name and an Uptights Band - again with no obvious connection to the New York-recorded group on Columbia. If anyone knows any of the personnel of 'this' particular group of Uptights I would be most interested.

the-uptights-he-said-columbia.jpg

the-uptights-shy-guy-columbia.jpg

This may help if they are still around and what a great story and they did some very "non Soul" stuff

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/sire-records-story

And this suggest Doris Again on another release same group

https://funky16corners.com/?p=459

http://www.45cat.com/artist/the-uptights

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

I am now pretty certain the later Uptights' two sides for Skye had Barbara Joyce (Lomas) on lead. The Sir Shambling site says so and so does the wikipedia entry for BT Express (her later group). This latter source does not extend her association with the Uptights to the much earlier Columbia outing and a guy responding to the funky 16 corners link shown above states that his grandmother was in the later Skye group and that it was definitely led by a girl called Barbara. So I'm sure it's not Barbara on the Columbia outing but equally I am also pretty sure that aurally it doesn't sound like Doris Duke either. Dukeburgundy above suggests it could possibly be June Adams and he suggests Teddy Vann (who produced all 3 of June's Roulette 45s) worked with the Uptights on their first record but the Columbia label clearly shows Gottehrer and Stein producing it for Sire Productions and furthermore there is no reference to Vann being involved in the Columbia release in this listing of Vann productions by Davie Gordon (who runs the 45cat web-site) - see here http://www.spectropop.com/archive/digest/d2063.htm

Edited by Peternickols
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

It’s possible Joyce Curry was also connected with or even part of The Mellowettes who cut for the Newark label VRC as a J Curry co-wrote both sides of their 1970 VRC single (#205). However there’s no label credits to her on the Judy McDonald and the Mellowettes VRC single

Social source share

One source on 45cat reckons the J. Curry who co-penned the two Mellowettes sides on their first single was Jeraldine (her birth spelling) rather than Joyce but I'll keep an open mind about that. This recording pre-dated the Heartstoppers recordings. I believe The Mellowettes' label (VRC), although standing for Vernell Record Company, was most likely owned or co-owned by Jerry Hankins who, some 4 years later in 1974 formed the also-Newark-based MPR (Magic People Records) label along with partners Jearldyne (sic) Curry and Beverly Crosby, as reported in the 2nd March 1974 edition of Record World. The first (only?) MPR release was Beverly Crosby's "Have We Become Prisoners" and "That Didn't Stop Me" (#MPM-40), both co-penned by Hankins and Crosby. There is no mention on the labels of the two other VRC Mellowettes-related 45s of either of the Curry sisters but it's quite likely one or both were in the group that supported both Judy McDonald (VC-114 released Jan 1971) and Little Willie Jones (VC-115).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!