Soul Artists In Movies

Craig W

Was listening to a local radio station the other day which had a phone in about which pop stars had appeared in movies which got me thinking.

What soul artists have appeared in movies?

Struggled to come up with many Diana Ross - Lady sings the blues , Ray Charles & Aretha Franklin - Blues Brothers , James Brown -Rocky.

Tina Turner - Mad Max3 :thumbsup:

Any more suggestions the more obscure the better.

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ray Pollard was definately in Ghostbusters, that was from the horses mouth, i had the good fortune to meet him on a trip to New York with Adey Pierce nearly 20 years ago now.

link

What did Ray do in Ghostbusters?

Who ya gonna call? :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

Barbara McNair appeared in a couple of movies, I think one was with Bill Cosby, but I cant remember and titles.

link

Think she was in ' They Call me Mr Tibbs' the follow-up to 'In the heat of the Night with Sydney Poitier

John

Social source share

Tony Clarke was also in They Call Me Mr Tibbs. Ketty Lester appeared in many TV shows in the 70s like Streets of San Francisco. Hattie Winston appears in Ted Danson's current show Becker. What about Al Green's various appearances in Allie McBeal?

Agree with Billy Freemantle regarding Toussaint McCall in Hairspray: a scene which still sends shivers down the spine. BTW, Ruth Brown also starred in this movie.

Social source share

Isn't Morris Chestnut an actor? I think he was in Platoon. Surely there can't be two Morris Chestnuts.

link

You'd think there wouldn't be two; but there are. It's a different guy I'm sure.

How about Leslie Uggams? She's a US TV star and has been in at least 4 movies. Quite how soulful her music is, I don't know. But her best known song was a massive tune wasn't it?

Social source share

T

Agree with Billy Freemantle regarding Toussaint McCall in Hairspray: a scene which still sends shivers down the spine. BTW, Ruth Brown also starred in this movie.

link

What I remember from that scene - apart from TMcC's performance - were the cuts to the drunk drowning his sorrows and the rats running over the shoes of the necking 'checkerboard' couple in the alley. Only John Waters could do that!

Was Toussaint McCall able to build on this exposure at all?

Social source share

You'd think there wouldn't be two; but there are.  It's a different guy I'm sure.

How about Leslie Uggams?  She's a US TV star and has been in at least 4 movies.  Quite how soulful her music is, I don't know.  But her best known song was a massive tune wasn't it?

link

Don't you even care / Love is a good foundation.

She was in 'Roots'

Social source share

Don't you even care / Love is a good foundation.

She was in 'Roots'

link

That's right - I'd forgotten about that.

Someone else just came to mind: Cuba Gooding Jr. As you probably know his father was lead singer with the Main Ingredient, and he did a credible version of "Happiness is just around the bend".

Ok, not rare soul, but I'm struggling now!

Social source share

Isaac Hayes has been in quite a few....

Definately in "Truck Turner", "Tough Guys"  and "Escape from New York"

As well as being Chef in "South Park the Movie"

WOOF!

link

Did you get permission from Mick Smith to use his mug shot as an avatar??

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Tony Clarke was also in They Call Me Mr Tibbs. Ketty Lester appeared in many TV shows in the 70s like Streets of San Francisco. Hattie Winston appears in Ted Danson's current show Becker. What about Al Green's various appearances in Allie McBeal?

link

============

Barry White also in Ally McBeal

and Whitney Houston...Bodyguard

Isn't Ray Charles in something..Blues brothers maybe, head a little fuzzy at the moment, but sure I've seen him in something

Winnie:-)

Social source share

LENNY H has replied:-

wasnt joey heatherton an actress as well, was it "hair spray" or some

crappy high school flik, quite tidy an all in her younger days.

[Mod notice: Lenny - you hit the 'report' button instead of 'reply', which is why your original post didn'y show biggrin.gif ]

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!