Underplayed first and last tune

37 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

In reality....

I would imagine most serious djs play their best 2 current in demand records as the introduction and finale.....on most occasions, just to make an impression.

There may be the odd shock jock who bucks the trend!

Ed

Just to get things going  maybe I would start with "Soul Time" Shirley Ellis and finish with a piece of class, something like "Say Something Nice To Me" Bobby Kline.

But it's a long time since I was behind the decks.😎 Also I would change my choices to suit the venue and the type of punters!

Edited by D9 Ktf
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Surely the DJ  plays his first record that compliments the last record from the previous DJ before he starts building his own set of tunes. That's how I always tried to work .

Not play your biggest hitters first because Surely it is only down hill after that , bring the dancers up through your set not bring em down. But hey what do I know

I prefer to 'go against the grain' / kill the atmos.....then 'the only way is up'.......(I hope and prey) :huh:

You've seen it in the flesh Steve :D

Len (Now retired) :elvis:

P.s - You know nothing :rofl:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I was just about to go on, and the DJ before me said...."Len, would you like me to clear the floor? Saves you doing it mate"........I smiled, and said...."Yeh please do"........The floor was absolutely packed, and low and behold he did just that with his last record....."There you go Len".......He said with a rye smile :D

Talk about taking one for the team :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

N.B - This didn't badly effect anyone's night.....and not one bottle was thrown (on this occasion) 

Social source share

Apologies, I went a bit 'off-topic' above. 

I know some like the DJs to flow seamlessly when a change-over happens, which is fine of course.  But I also like the old 'ender' to someone's set, then it's like a new chapter when the next DJ starts.

The first record is pretty crucial as it sets the tone for what you're about - I give my first record an awful lot of thought. This often changes depending how the night is, but a couple of records that spring to mind for me to set things off, would be, 'Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over', or The Soul Bros Inc - The Pyramid'.  Although these aren't classed as underplayed.

If I think the night could take it, three choices of underplayed tunes that I would start with would be 'The Odds and Ends - Let Me Try', 'The Festivals - You've Got The Makings Of A Lover', or the powerful 'Bobby Sansom - Don't Leave'.

Last underplayed tunes, either 'Teddy Randazzo - You Don't Need A Heart' or 'Diana Ross And The Supremes - Will This Be The Day'

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!