Articles: Soul on Screen : An appreciation

Interesting article. At long last black music cultural icons are being given their place in the long tradition of Hollywood music biopics. First can I point out the error- "Coal Miners Daughter" was based on the life of Loretta Lynn. "Sweet Dreams" was the Patsy Cline bio-pic starring Jessica Lange. The first major studio biopic of a major black star has to be "Lady Sings The Blues" released in 1973 and starring Diana Ross as... Diana Ross! The movie plays fast and hard with the truth regarding the biographical facts of Billie Holliday's life and career. Diana Ross famously lost out on the Oscar which went to Liza Minnelli for her OTT cringeworthy performance as... Liza Minnelli in "Cabaret". "Lady" was a culturally significant movie, proving that major movie with a black cast could succeed at the box office. Strangely the movie was shown only twice on UK TV back in the 80s and despite a major US anniversary release has never been available on video, DVD or Blu Ray. It also seems to be overlooked when documentaries feature the history of "black cinema" and Ross is almost never recognised by female African American actors when they collect THEIR awards. Diana broke through so many glass ceilings and broke into so many areas of the music and wider entertainment industry both as a Supreme and as a solo performer.

Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, Gladys Knight, The Supremes (DreamGirls doesn't count!)  The Motown Story (NOT the jukebox stage show) are all ripe for the picking. The Marvin movie has been talked about for the past 40 years!  It's just good to finally see these great artists receive the recognition they deserve on the silver screen, exposing their music to a whole new generation for the first time, cementing their legacy and keeping their music alive.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 16/08/2021 at 15:50, Moutton Noir said:

Interesting article. At long last black music cultural icons are being given their place in the long tradition of Hollywood music biopics. First can I point out the error- "Coal Miners Daughter" was based on the life of Loretta Lynn. "Sweet Dreams" was the Patsy Cline bio-pic starring Jessica Lange. The first major studio biopic of a major black star has to be "Lady Sings The Blues" released in 1973 and starring Diana Ross as... Diana Ross! The movie plays fast and hard with the truth regarding the biographical facts of Billie Holliday's life and career. Diana Ross famously lost out on the Oscar which went to Liza Minnelli for her OTT cringeworthy performance as... Liza Minnelli in "Cabaret". "Lady" was a culturally significant movie, proving that major movie with a black cast could succeed at the box office. Strangely the movie was shown only twice on UK TV back in the 80s and despite a major US anniversary release has never been available on video, DVD or Blu Ray. It also seems to be overlooked when documentaries feature the history of "black cinema" and Ross is almost never recognised by female African American actors when they collect THEIR awards. Diana broke through so many glass ceilings and broke into so many areas of the music and wider entertainment industry both as a Supreme and as a solo performer.

Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, Gladys Knight, The Supremes (DreamGirls doesn't count!)  The Motown Story (NOT the jukebox stage show) are all ripe for the picking. The Marvin movie has been talked about for the past 40 years!  It's just good to finally see these great artists receive the recognition they deserve on the silver screen, exposing their music to a whole new generation for the first time, cementing their legacy and keeping their music alive.

Thanks for your comments and corrections. I was aware of Lady Sings the Blues, Im sure I saw it many years ago but don't think I was that impressed . But  as you say it does warrant credit for breaking through racial barriers. As you say the Motown story alone could provide numerous fascinating bio pic's  with Marvin and Stevie most likely but far more that also deserve attention. 

Cool Notes 

Social source share

On 17/08/2021 at 17:49, Daved said:

Thanks for that. I've enjoyed all those films and am really looking forward to the Aretha Franklin movie. There's been many rumours of an Otis Redding film over the years and I'd love to see that done well.

I've not seen 'Respect' (2021) yet, but will as it has Forest Whitaker in it, so can't be bad. Reviews suggest it is a showcase for Jennifer Hudson vocals inter-dispersed with some stuff about Aretha's life.

There's also 'Genius' series 3 about AF, nowt special IMO and far too long at 8 times 1hr episodes (made in 2017, released this year?)

Now the film documentary 'Amazing Grace' (2018) is a great watch.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

This is a made for TV film ,staring Leon , who appeared in the Temptations story.  There appear to be plans to make a Dusty biography , which I agree is long over due. Id considered suggesting Curtis. Im a huge fan and personally would find the accident scenes and beyond really heartbreaking  to watch. . Cool Notes. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!