White promos of new releases

28 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

Demos were given out free of charge to promote the record and get it airplay, in many cases with the 60's stuff there are more demos than issues of many sounds as the record never sold in any quantity.

The current vogue is baffling, I certainly wouldn't pay extra money for them, not that I would be buying one in the first place ... apparently I don't need any more records as I have got enough ... I think that's what she said, thinking back it may have been camera lenses she was referring to.

Martyn. Are you sure it wasn't watches aswell as the records and camera lens my friend. Place things on a higher shelf so that the lovely lilliputian Carol cannot see them 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Total waste of time to the record buyer they are not demos just a white label copy done for the record owner to make more money .

The odd thing is the record labels still keep producing them so the market must be there for them  so they must sell in enough quantity to make them worthwhile ,a fool and his money .

• Up vote 3
Social source share

You have to question why the need for promo's in what is a predominantly reissue market , unless a previously unreleased tune and pre-released to the media and djs only but as history as proved there seems to be a market for them , look at the prices of the early Grapevine demos and even some of the Disco Demands and again they where all known on release ,nuts.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Happy Feet said:

You have to question why the need for promo's in what is a predominantly reissue market , unless a previously unreleased tune and pre-released to the media and djs only but as history as proved there seems to be a market for them , look at the prices of the early Grapevine demos and even some of the Disco Demands and again they where all known on release ,nuts.

At least the 70's reissues have proper labels, at least. Just hope some label owners are reading. I wonder how many of these are actually used as promo and sent out to club or radio/ podcast DJ's? 

Edited by Geeselad
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Shinehead said:

Total waste of time to the record buyer they are not demos just a white label copy done for the record owner to make more money .

The odd thing is the record labels still keep producing them so the market must be there for them  so they must sell in enough quantity to make them worthwhile ,a fool and his money .

20 or 25 demos of most releases sell out in minutes

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

Edited by Geeselad
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave Moore said:

I posted this the last time this was brought up. I buy most quality new releases  but have called time on the ones that employ this tactic. I've collected promos of 45s for 45 years and won't have the piss taken out of me.  I don't even buy the issues from them now.   They've alienated a good customer and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Dave  

I've come to the same conclusion & don't bother at all. 

Social source share

I think its simply to appeal to the collector in us,and of course squeeze another tenner out of you! Which i suppose if its an unreleased track of soughts,then it has its own appeal! But if its a run of the mill tune thrown on a piece of vinyl then i dont see the point of the issue or demo! Just go on youtube for free if you that desperate to hear paul anka or something line that!😂

Social source share

9 hours ago, Shinehead said:

At a £10 upmark on a issue that is a fine profit and well worth their time but they are hardly demos as we know them.

No some aren't demos as we know them, some are though and I have received one today.

As for the cost being cheaper as someone intimated above, they are actually dearer so I have been told. They cost more because different art work has to be made (colour and additional text) and a high minimum number of labels has to be made and then applied.

But as said by another contributor they simply appeal to the collector in us, usually those who Dj.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Yep its a definite ploy to squeeze a another tenner but hey you dont have to "you pay your money and take your choice". The bigger issue is trying to keep up with them now as a collector i am focused on completing 2 before i go at others but the silly inflation of some of the early  releases is restrictive. 

Its a great marketplace however and there do pop up in unsuspecting places. Some that sell  on sites stand a while then others pop up on the bay i got 15 Soul Junction 45s for £2.99 each a while back,the quality control on that label is superb imho.

I think its an exciting time for collectors that have a thirst for new/unissued stuff and its refreshing buying them knowing your arse is not getting ripped out with the crazy inflated ego driven northern markert place lol. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Geeselad said:

It reminds me of buying house tunes on the 90's, half of the new UK releases I bought were on promo copies, usually at reduced prices to get them to chart and pick up sales. Dumped by reps as sale or return. 

Yes remember lots of handwritten or rubber stamped white labels cheaper than normal issue copies 👍🏼

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Isn't there still a rule that states that royalties do not have to be paid on demos as they're technically not meant to be for sale. So unethical label owners could be earing income on selling demos and not passing on income to the artist/writer as they would for selling issues.  Personally, i feel the selling of newly released demos unethical as these are deliberately created to extract the last bit of juice out of their priduct rather that what they were historically created for.

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Sean Hampsey said:

Same here Ady. We've done a number of promos for our latest release that have only gone to DJ's and Journalists / Bloggers. If they are 'for sale' they aren't promos. If they are genuine 'promos' they are not for sale. 

Don't think anyone has got a problem with promos that are genuinely used for that purpose. It always perplexed me in the 90's when house and contemporary soul promos were always for sale, allbeit at reduced prices, on some cases far more available to buy than actual issues of the 12.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 22/08/2021 at 17:35, John Reed said:

Isn't there still a rule that states that royalties do not have to be paid on demos as they're technically not meant to be for sale. So unethical label owners could be earing income on selling demos and not passing on income to the artist/writer as they would for selling issues.  Personally, i feel the selling of newly released demos unethical as these are deliberately created to extract the last bit of juice out of their priduct rather that what they were historically created for.

Yes, that is the case

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve only just seen this thread as I do t come on that often.

I produce proper printed white label promos for “some” of my releases. Not all of them.

I do them to send out to DJ’s, radio stations, magazines etc. And, yes, also to sell as a limited edition collectors item at a premium.  

I can’t speak for any other label, but I do no more than 10% of the production run as promos.

in the case of the latest album I put out last month - Garcia Walker & Durrell. There were 50 promo copies made. Over half of these went out to press, radio, bloggers etc. Most of the rest were sold at £30 instead of the normal £20 retail price. Got a couple left if anyone’s interested? :)

I see nothing wrong with the practice, and neither, it seems, do the vinyl buying public.

Also. To produce a promo with a proper printed label is more expensive than the regular stock copies. You have to get the same number of labels printed (500 pairs). I also had stickers for the album sleeve too. You have to pay an additional origination charge etc. And there is a small run charge from the pressing plant. They have to change over the labels and charge for the privilege 

Edited by Phild
Social source share

The pure irony.

Promotion copy - Not for sale.

Unless you buy a promotion copy from the record company, for more than the stock copy would cost.

Unfortunately it does sound like profiteering.

Why not just make a limited edition with a picture cover or such like to ask more than a stock price?

I always thought promotional material was tax deductible? Other record producers have indicated promotional copies are only for promotional work, so not everybody is selling them.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Tomangoes said:

The pure irony.

Promotion copy - Not for sale.

Unless you buy a promotion copy from the record company, for more than the stock copy would cost.

Unfortunately it does sound like profiteering.

Why not just make a limited edition with a picture cover or such like to ask more than a stock price?

I always thought promotional material was tax deductible? Other record producers have indicated promotional copies are only for promotional work, so not everybody is selling them.

Ed

Most of my promo copies are for promotional use. But I will and do sell the odd few. I still usually fail to make any money on most releases though.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Phild said:

Also. To produce a promo with a proper printed label is more expensive than the regular stock copies. You have to get the same number of labels printed (500 pairs). I also had stickers for the album sleeve too. You have to pay an additional origination charge etc. And there is a small run charge from the pressing plant. They have to change over the labels and charge for the privilege 

So why go to the bother of having white labels produced why not produce more stockers and give stockers away to djs and the like I would  imagine the recipient of a free copy would be thrilled to receive a stock copy .

These releases are only produced in small numbers so the production of white labels is not really needed in my opinion.

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Shinehead said:

So why go to the bother of having white labels produced why not produce more stockers and give stockers away to djs and the like I would  imagine the recipient of a free copy would be thrilled to receive a stock copy .

These releases are only produced in small numbers so the production of white labels is not really needed in my opinion.

To stand out from the crowd. There’s a plethora of new releases these days. And standing out can be the difference between getting a play or not.

And I don’t do just plain white labels. They are proper white label promos.

it crates a perception of both quality and value.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Phild said:

To stand out from the crowd. There’s a plethora of new releases these days. And standing out can be the difference between getting a play or not.

And I don’t do just plain white labels. They are proper white label promos.

it crates a perception of both quality and value.

Sorry I meant white labels with printing on them  saying demo copy.

Social source share

19 hours ago, Phild said:

Most of my promo copies are for promotional use. But I will and do sell the odd few. I still usually fail to make any money on most releases though.

Some things never change Phil...good to see you are steadfastly losing money on the soul front...I thought it was my influence that made you lose cash....  🙂

Social source share

For the newly launched 'Last Bastion Records', a checked (as high quality) test press 45 along with a Press Release will be used as a foc promo. Hopefully they won't be sold on by recipients. 

"Last Bastion Records - DETOUR RECORDS" http://shop.detourrecords.co.uk/epages/es785745.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es785745/Categories/Last_Bastion_Records

Edited by Andybellwood
Social source share

3 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

On the test pressing side of things (white Labels), were they not just that, do a small run to test out the quality of playing surface for  blebs and dimples, sound quality etc on the vinyl that may have got on the initial pressing plates, sure i read that some where 🤔 

We do get test pressings done. Usually 5 copies. These are done for quality control purposes and generally have a plain white label. Although sometimes they have “Side A” on the A side. Although it doesn’t always work out that way 😂 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!