Sam Motley - Detroit producer interview

G F

3 hours ago, G F said:

It's taken me a while, but finally the interviews that I recorded a good few years ago are getting sorted out and there's now a video on YouTube of one with Sam... the sound quality isn't great, but hopefully you get the gist:

The plan is to upload more in the near future.... I'm now working through ones with both Tom Storm and Ronnie Abner - two of The Fabulous Peps

GREAT VID.........EVERY DAY'S A SCHOOL DAY CHEERS

Social source share

Sam did some great stuff with the help of Joe Hunter and the other musicians. Could you understand him - and me?! He has quite a strong accent.

Hopefully my Ronnie Abner interview will on YouTube in the next day or so. I'll keep you informed

Social source share

Very nice interview, and great to see all the rare 45s.  I had never seen that M&M 331, that didn't even have the artist name (Freddy Butler) in Big letters, so it could be seen, and had Gwen Gordy's and Harvey Fuqua's Birdsong Music (Harvey/Tri-Phi's in-House publishing Co.) as publisher for "One Night".

Thanks.  I look forward to more interviews.  Sam Motley produced a LOT of rare 45s in Detroit during the mid 1960s.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Dysonsoul said:

What a fascinating interview,  Sam Motley sounds like a real character - I bet he was a great laugh to be around! I recognised his name but never realised how often his name appeared on records I own....Thanks for posting this up.

Sam was much more of a big name, nationally popular band leader than a record producer, despite his prolific production over his many years.  He and his band toured The US Chittlin' Circuit (and a little in Canada) for many years, during the late 1940s through much of the 1950s, as one of the most popular R&B dance bands.  He was originally from Washington, D.C., and produced records there, but also quite a bit in Detroit, and also some other East Coast cities.  And his band was not only the "house band" on his own labels, but also for some labels owned by other people.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

Sam was much more of a big name, nationally popular band leader than a record producer, despite his prolific production over his many years.  He and his band toured The US Chittlin' Circuit (and a little in Canada) for many years, during the late 1940s through much of the 1950s, as one of the most popular R&B dance bands.  He was originally from Washington, D.C., and produced records there, but also quite a bit in Detroit, and also some other East Coast cities.  And his band was not only the "house band" on his own labels, but also for some labels owned by other people.

This is not something I am aware of. Where did you get the details from, Robb?

Have you confused him with someone else? I don't think Sam could actually play an instrument.

Social source share

On 18/10/2021 at 03:28, G F said:

This is not something I am aware of. Where did you get the details from, Robb?

Have you confused him with someone else? I don't think Sam could actually play an instrument.

Not sure either Graham ?

I wonder if this is him (RIP)

https://www.legacy.com/funeral-homes/obituaries/name/samuel-motley-obituary?pid=186772572&v=batesville&view=guestbook

Social source share

Yes, that's the Sam I interviewed - born in Alabama and moved to Detroit in 1955 (he would have been 19 years old then).

I did do an online search for an obit before posting that YouTube video, but nothing popped up. I had assumed Sam had passed away.

Here's what that obit' states:

Samuel Lewis Motley was born on March 6, 1936 in Autaugaville, Alabama to Mimmie and Clabe Motley.
Samuel Lewis Motley accepted Christ at a early age.
Samuel Lewis Motley attended the Autaugaville Training School from grades one through twelve.
At age 19, he moved to Detroit, Michigan to carry out his passion for music. He was self employed as a body and paint mechanic. He also enjoyed America's favorite pastime , baseball.
Samuel was preceded in death by his brothers Robert Motley, WIllie James and Winston; two sisters Mary Ann (Leonard and Selister; and one brother-in-law James.
Those left to cherish his memory include his daughters, Angela (Richard) and Marie, two grandchildren, Dean Overton and Damonae Thomas; two siusters Elouise (Formas) Carswell and Bertha Thompson; special friend (girlfriend); and a special stepson Mark Chestnut and three very special nieces and one nephew.

Edited by G F
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Sorry,

I am getting more senile than ever.  I confused 1940s and '50s Washington D.C. and Toronto, Jazz, Swing, and early R&B band leader and record producer, FRANK Motley, with Detroit's Sam Motley, fusing them into one person, assuming that Frank moved from Toronto to Detroit during the '60s, and started producing Soul records.  I wonder if they were related?  Motley isn't a very common name.  I can't find an emoji for embarrassment.  Do we have one?

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Sorry,

I am getting more senile than ever.  I confused 1940s and '50s Washington D.C. and Toronto, Jazz, Swing, and early R&B band leader and record producer, FRANK Motley, with Detroit's Sam Motley, fusing them into one person, assuming that Frank moved from Toronto to Detroit during the '60s, and started producing Soul records.  I wonder if they were related?  Motley isn't a very common name.  I can't find an emoji for embarrassment.  Do we have one?

You have contributed more about soul than I ever could Rob and I have made lots more mistakes than you (Most days) ☺️ (Google says it's this emoji)

Social source share

On 18/10/2021 at 06:35, Dysonsoul said:

What a fascinating interview,  Sam Motley sounds like a real character - I bet he was a great laugh to be around! I recognised his name but never realised how often his name appeared on records I own....Thanks for posting this up.

Yes, Sam was one of those old-fashioned hustlers and the interview gives a taste of what he was like. 

Social source share

7 hours ago, Robbk said:

Sorry,

It's easily done, Robb. 

I'm not sure if there's a family connection between Frank and Sam.

Social source share

Joe Hunter mentioned 'I'm Too Far Gone - To Turn Around' when I interviewed him, but the label does not credit him as the arranger. Joe said he enjoyed working with Don Robey - it was less stressful than at Motown.

Here's another Duke one from Detroit...

403.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 20/10/2021 at 15:38, Weingarden said:

Graham, this is great!! Thanks so much. I had no idea that that Bobby Bland record, which I've loved for decades, was a Joe Hunter-Sam Motley project recorded at United!?!

Joe Hunter had a production agreement With Don Robey's Duke, Peacock, Back Beat, and Sure Shot Records.  Hunter ran sessions for Robey both in Detroit and in Houston.  Many were with Detroit-based artists, which Robey signed for this deal, and others were his previous signees and long-time artists, who were Texas-based.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!