What Was All That About ?

Guest martyn

After reading the oldies thread it occured to me that there are several records played 'way back then', that Im quite ashamed to still have in my collection that I thought were great at the time...........

1. Walter Murphy-California Strut

2.Grand Army Band-Fame

3.Earth Wind & Fire-Biyo

4.Martin Stevens-Mal

5.Roberta Kelly-Trouble Maker............................just for starters ranting_1.gif

All used to fill the floor at one point or another.Why?

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well, they were 'new' for a start, which was very important back then. Especially as equally danceable 'new' records were coming out every week, and records got dropped very quickly. And to be fair Martyn, we danced to a lot worse than the ones you mentioned. :thumbsup:

But I did like Roberta Kelly's 'Zodiacs'. ranting_1.gif

Edited by Jack Barnes
Social source share

Martyn,

Please add more to the list! I'd like to know more titles like this. A few years ago, I made my own personal CD compilation for the car, called "Northern Soul Curiosities" These were all predominantly 70s tracks and really oddball pop numbers that appealed to my own personal pallette that are for the most part, WAY out of style.

Some of the songs included on my CD are: (* means I don't think these got played. Correct me if I'm wrong though, please.)

1. Supership-George Benson

2. Can't Live This Way-Barnaby Bye

3. God Knows-Mike McDonald

4. Cochise-Paul Humphrey

5. Wise Up Girl-David Geddes

*6. B-A-B-Y-Rachel Sweet

7. Right Back Where We Started From-Maxine Nightengale

8. Get Smart Girl-Beverly Bremmers

9. Trippin' On a Soul Cloud-Biddu Orchestra

10. I Played the Fool-Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes

*11. Bookends-Jerry Fuller

12. Sister James-Nino Tempo (My friend Nigel from Norwich told me that they used to

play this back in 1980 at Back Street Soul Club and Peterborough. Next thing I know-everybody wanted it about a year or two ago.)

13. The Flasher-Mistura

*14. Rain In My Life-Prophecy (I love this song. No one ever talks about it. Lovely crossover sound on All Platinum label. I think it's more sought after by funk people...Comments anyone?)

Even though these are not everbody's favorites and many people would like to forget them, I would like more info on this lost little chapter of northern soul. Since I had to do most of my learning about the actual northern soul scene from CD comps over the years, I learned about most of these songs from Nigel, who actually went through the scene. This is the kind of stuff that I have to find out about from talking to some actual veterans of the scene.

Love to hear about more those sounds.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Martyn,

Please add more to the list! I'd like to know more titles like this. A few years ago, I made my own personal CD compilation for the car, called "Northern Soul Curiosities" These were all predominantly 70s tracks and really oddball pop numbers that appealed to my own personal pallette that are for the most part, WAY out of style.

Some of the songs included on my CD are: (* means I don't think these got played. Correct me if I'm wrong though, please.)

5. Wise Up Girl-David Geddes

============

this still sounds good

i always get asked to play Barnaby Bye at Bedworth by Weasel ,one of our towns best ever dancers ,,

told me it was huge at Wigan

Social source share

Jas,

Yes,indeed-a CD of just the kind of tunes I was thinking of !

Try Adding;

Jaws-Lalo Schifrin

Cats Eyes-Life

Should have been me-David Lenyard & The Music Tree

The Sound fo Disco Rock-The Springfield Familly..........Do I keep going or shall I get my coat ranting_1.gif

Mark,

Barnaby Bye.True,an absolute floor packer in its day.Fairly common knowledge that Barnaby Bye were the Alessi (?) Brothers.

Social source share

Jas,

Yes,indeed-a CD of just the kind of tunes I was thinking of !

Try Adding;

Jaws-Lalo Schifrin

Cats Eyes-Life

Should have been me-David Lenyard & The Music Tree

The Sound fo Disco Rock-The Springfield Familly..........Do I keep going or shall I get my coat ranting_1.gif

Mark,

Barnaby Bye.True,an absolute floor packer in its day.Fairly common knowledge that Barnaby Bye were the Alessi (?) Brothers.

link

============

oh lori

didnt know that mate

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Willie J and Co "Boogie With Your Baby" + Al Foster Band "Night Of The Wolf" must go in there. Now Deepfunk anthems of course. ranting_1.gif

There must be sooo many.

Do any DJs out there play "off the wall" stuff at UK soul nights any more? :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Willie J and Co "Boogie With Your Baby" + Al Foster Band "Night Of The Wolf" must go in there. Now Deepfunk anthems of course. ranting_1.gif

=======

sold my al foster but kept my Willie J as a late Wigan Spin for Sam and Searling

sad true tale here ,,

on my first all niter gig in leicester mad mick (from derby) came up to me and begged me to play it saying it was really good but a) i hadnt heard it at the time and cool.gif when u rarely get a chance to dj the last thing you wanna do is play other records!

sadly mick died a few years after so felt a tad guilty about this 45

gulp!

Social source share

There must be sooo many.

Do any DJs out there play "off the wall" stuff at UK soul nights any more? :thumbsup:

link

==========

dare i say i do

i played 'groovin with mr bloe' by wind at one the first worcester allniters and got lynched by a few shocked ears

but outweighed by the people coming up and saying aint heard that for ages etc

also played funky train by bill blacks combo to me a great oldie but most wouldnt touch with a bargie

oh well

u wait til i play peggy later on tonight ...gulp

Social source share

The northern scene nevewr fails to amuse me,mike macdonald george benson etc were monster records in their day.I can remember haveing to fight my way onto the dance floor at wigan to dance to james coit etc,you would be lynched for playing it now.I wish people would get over themselves this scene is supposed to be fun,so what if someone thinks certain things shouldnt be played anymore,f*** em.Steve whittle at lowton last friday played when we get there paul anchor,out and out pop,you couldnt get on the dance floor it was that packed.Sick to death of the so called experts babble on about what should and should not be played.Everybody has likes and dislikes that is upto them,just wish certain sections of the scene would let everybody enjoy their version of ns without constantly telling us what we should and shouldnt play and listen to.

Social source share

The northern scene nevewr fails to amuse me,mike macdonald george benson etc were monster records in their day.I can remember haveing to fight my way onto the dance floor at wigan to dance to james coit etc,you would be lynched for playing it now.I wish people would get over themselves this scene is supposed to be fun,so what if someone thinks certain things shouldnt be played anymore,f*** em.Steve whittle at lowton last friday played when we get there paul anchor,out and out pop,you couldnt get on the dance floor it was that packed.Sick to death of the so called experts babble on about what should and should not be played.Everybody has likes and dislikes that is upto them,just wish certain sections of the scene would let everybody enjoy their version of ns without constantly telling us what we should and shouldnt play and listen to.

link

Well put there that man ranting_1.gif ....

Each one to his/her own :thumbsup: ....

Social source share

link

See where your coming from Andy, and I do appreciate your opinion. However, I'm a total soul snob and proud of it. I can't stand poppy type Northern, no doubt people are going to jump in and give me a verbal bashing, but like i said can't stand the pop stuff, just find it really embarrassing, got to keep the SOUL in Northern IMO.

I got onto the scene in 77' and I hated the pop stuff then, and still do.

JM

Social source share

Not a problem john m8 its all about opinions,its just that certain sections of the scene seem to have taken it upon themselves to be the soul police.Fact is if we all liked the same stuff it would be very boreing instead we get enter into these wonderful little debates,are you at keele tonite if so introduce yourself m8 all ways good to meet other members.

Social source share

Not a problem john m8 its all about opinions,its just that certain sections of the scene seem to have taken it upon themselves to be the soul police.Fact is if we all liked the same stuff it would be very boreing instead we get enter into these wonderful little debates,are you at keele tonite if so introduce yourself m8 all ways good to meet other members.

link

No problem mate, I'm no soul police, but I know where your coming from. Never going to change things, there will always be different tastes on the scene.

Not going to Keele tonight, I've been a bit disappointed with the venue over the last year, so going up to Manchester tonight to the Greatstone hotel.

Have a good un'

JM

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!