100 Club 42nd Anniversary Single - What Was It?

Tony Turner
Go to solution Solved by stevefrost,

The Sherilles - She's Gonna Make it, is this a cover, or loosely based around another well known track? cant help but feel I've nearly heard this before?  I know they got all manner of songs given to them, some of which had very famous 'other' versions, 'You Could Be My Remedy' is a good example of Trade Martin's classic that they did.

Is it 'The Lovelites - My Conscience' something like that?  I know these lyrics, just cant place them..

Mal

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Mal C said:

The Sherilles - She's Gonna Make it, is this a cover, or loosely based around another well known track? cant help but feel I've nearly heard this before?  I know they got all manner of songs given to them, some of which had very famous 'other' versions, 'You Could Be My Remedy' is a good example of Trade Martin's classic that they did.

Is it 'The Lovelites - My Conscience' something like that?  I know these lyrics, just cant place them..

Mal

Thought the same, it's very similar to summat! 🧐🤔

Social source share

13 hours ago, Ady Croasdell said:

Same lyrics but different music to Vessie Simmons I Can Make It On My Own

Thanks Ady, that was starting to drive me loopy, I was pulling out all manner of 45's in search of the track that's based on... under my nose all the time 😕 nice one Wally

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

2 hours ago, Ady Croasdell said:

Curtis Colbert and a lass whose name I’ve forgotten. I think it’s on the LP cover

Thanks Ady I bought the LP many moons ago and like this Blog had no idea who they actually were and I should have guessed Curtis but always doubted myself

http://thecollectionaire.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-old-music-tuesdays-classic-example.html

Social source share

On 21/09/2021 at 06:19, Wally Francis said:

The Shirelles track reminds me of Vessie Simmons- I can make it on my own.

Vessie Simmons did appear as Vessie Simmons & The Fabulous Shirelles. The case (fraud) went to court, Vessie was acquitted but her manager Charles Cascales was convicted of mail fraud. sending out brochures and photo's depicting just The Shirelles.

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

Be nice if there's a bit of a revival of the Vessie Simmons track, fantastic 70's dancer, deserves to up there with king Tut, flaming king ect with true classic status. 

always thought it was up there, it's a better record than King Tut,  maybe this way the price will stay low so folks new it can get a copy easily...  at least dealers cant say "Discussed on Soul Source" and whack the price up.... a novel thought... laughing

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Becket said:

Anybody have some info on The Sherilles ?

I am sure Ady has another track or theirs "nobody's gonna love you".
Heard it from some of his FB 100 Club lockdown live shows - or am I dreaming ?
Pretty damn amazing as I recall.

T.

Yeah he did,that's a great record !!

Social source share

3 hours ago, Mal C said:

always thought it was up there, it's a better record than King Tut,  maybe this way the price will stay low so folks new it can get a copy easily...  at least dealers cant say "Discussed on Soul Source" and whack the price up.... a novel thought... laughing

It happened with the Paramount four on southern city, ok, it's rarer, but it certainly got more attention after,

' sorry ain't the word'.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, Kenb said:

Vessie Simmons did appear as Vessie Simmons & The Fabulous Shirelles. The case (fraud) went to court, Vessie was acquitted but her manager Charles Cascales was convicted of mail fraud. sending out brochures and photo's depicting just The Shirelles.

Very interesting, can you let me know where you read that please?

19 hours ago, Becket said:

Anybody have some info on The Sherilles ?

I am sure Ady has another track or theirs "nobody's gonna love you".
Heard it from some of his FB 100 Club lockdown live shows - or am I dreaming ?
Pretty damn amazing as I recall.

T.

Correct and quite similar 

Social source share

5 hours ago, Becket said:

Confused of Banbury here.

Are Ady's Sherilles the same group as The Shirelles ?
From the thread and peeps comments it seems they are.

T.

No, they’re a group containing Vessie Simmons from the West Coast, produced by George Semper who changed their name to the Sherrills when they got their wrists slapped 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, Ady Croasdell said:

No, they’re a group containing Vessie Simmons from the West Coast, produced by George Semper who changed their name to the Sherrills when they got their wrists slapped 

Ady, thank you very much for the definitive answer here.

T.

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!