The Debonaires - Interviews with Elsie & Diane

G F

Excellent!!!  Thanks Graham.  Keep 'em coming!!! 

It would be nice to have all of these on a single website, like Bob A.'s "Sitting in The Park".

And it would be nice for all that you learned about Detroit Soul music (labels, artists. producers, arrangers, musicians, distributors, recording studios and engineers) in a mini encyclopedia of Detroit soul music, divided into several volumes.  It would be nice if I'd write one, too.  But I'm too old and tired to take on such a large project.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Thanks to all for the positive feedback.

I've just realized there are two recordings involving The Sterophonics (spelling varies) and The Debonaires that didn't get mentioned:

Timmy Shaw's 'I'm a Lonely Guy' (Audrey and Wand) has The Sternphones backing and this is possibly the group that Charles Stokes was managing. I did track down the lead singer, who married Charles when she was just 16, but her memory was vague. Charles died a long time ago in a house fire.

The other 45 is also a Johnnie Mae Matthews production - Spencer Sterling's 'Tell Me Right Now' / 'I Wish You Were Mine' (also on Audrey), which has The Debanaires (sp) backing.  I'm sure I asked Elsie about this, but it must have been during a different interview to the one used for the YouTube video. I'll have to dig it out to hear what she said.

Edited by G F
added info
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 07/10/2021 at 06:14, G F said:

Thanks to all for the positive feedback.

I've just realized there are two recordings involving The Sterophonics (spelling varies) and The Debonaires that didn't get mentioned:

Timmy Shaw's 'I'm a Lonely Guy' (Audrey and Wand) has The Sternphones backing and this is possibly the group that Charles Stokes was managing. I did track down the lead singer, who married Charles when she was just 16, but her memory was vague. Charles died a long time ago in a house fire.

The other 45 is also a Johnnie Mae Matthews production - Spencer Sterling's 'Tell Me Right Now' / 'I Wish You Were Mine' (also on Audrey), which has The Debanaires (sp) backing.  I'm sure I asked Elsie about this, but it must have been during a different interview to the one used for the YouTube video. I'll have to dig it out to hear what she said.

I think I remember that The Sternphones also back up Gino Washington on a couple of his cuts, when The Rochelles didn't.  I think they were with him on one of his Wand 45s, and the other one was The Rochelles (his high school group members).

Social source share

Below is a message from Elsie (I don't think her email about Tony - her husband and one of The Holidays - ever got to me).

I plan to edit my interview with Tony soon and put it on YouTube.

We did see the interview it was wonderful. I did sent you an email to tell you Tony passed away on June 17th from Alzheimer’s. It was so sad but I’m doing okay so I will look to see if I can find anything on the Holiday’s to send to you. As always it so nice to hear from you, stay safe and I will keep in touch.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
On 30/09/2021 at 22:45, G F said:

I've just uploaded another Detroit File to YouTube - this time there are two interviewees combined into one video...

I just deleted this video as the audio didn't seem to be fully working - the song tracks played, but the interviews didn't.

I've just reloaded it - if anyone finds any issues, please let me know...

a

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!