Cleaning old Acetates / Lacquers

Does anyone have experience in the cleaning of Acetates. Specifically cleaning out the milky film that gunges up the lacquer.

I've looked online and there are a few methods suggested, but I'm trying to find someone who has first hand experience in cleaning, or having used a service to clean any discs . . . Successfully.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Mick

Social source share

2 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Does anyone have experience in the cleaning of Acetates. Specifically cleaning out the milky film that gunges up the lacquer.

I've looked online and there are a few methods suggested, but I'm trying to find someone who has first hand experience in cleaning, or having used a service to clean any discs . . . Successfully.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Mick

Mild detergent, luke warm water for the white oxidation

NOTHING ALCOHOL BASED, LIGHTER FUEL, ACETONE ON ACETATES!!!!!!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Simon T said:

Mild detergent, luke warm water for the white oxidation

NOTHING ALCOHOL BASED, LIGHTER FUEL, ACETONE ON ACETATES!!!!!!!

Oooooooops. I  accidentally made an acetate unplayable by cleaning it with isopropanol . 😭😥

Edited by Greedy Mick
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I've had a recommendation to use simple luke warm water with mild detergent, and also to use Lighter Fluid ! Guess the last one is one to avoid.

You've just had egg and chips and you dutifully hand washing your solitary plate:

The detergent molecules  look like a lollipop      ---------O    . The stick   -------  is water hating (hydrophobic) and goes  into the grease droplets. The lollipop end     O     is water loving  (hydrophilic) and 'disperses' into the dish water, hence the water goes down the plug hole, taking the grease with it. Your plate is lovely and clean until you have beans on toast the next day

If you want to give the acetate a gentle 'scrub', buy a child's toothbrush, bristles as soft as possible.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!