Sexton Records - Soul Galore - Simon Soussan

I like the artist's sense of humour wrt the fictitious 'Sexton Blake' theme throughout.  Whoever it is (art student?) they show clear attention to detail to fonts and styles of the various original labels.  It's 'only Art' Kev... 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Dave2 said:

To me, it looks like the an project/ assignment for an art student.

What you saying Andy, students have lots of time on their hands?  !!  🙂  

That thought had never crossed my mind ... it is an interesting take on deception ... I think it fits very nicely into the cover-up scene

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Dave2 said:

I like the artist's sense of humour wrt the fictitious 'Sexton Blake' theme throughout.  Whoever it is (art student?) they show clear attention to detail to fonts and styles of the various original labels.  It's 'only Art' Kev... 

Usual inaccuracies about vinyl from the past, in particular Soussan. 

Social source share

Much a do about nothing.

I'd be surprised if any booted record actually came from a microphone and cassette player...

Everybody ....almost ....did record at all nighters/dayers this way, but purely for personal use. The quality was poor.

Lots of threads and stories on here about SS.

Pity he never wrote a book about what he actually did, and why he did it!

Ed

Social source share

5 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Much a do about nothing.

I'd be surprised if any booted record actually came from a microphone and cassette player...

Everybody ....almost ....did record at all nighters/dayers this way, but purely for personal use. The quality was poor.

Lots of threads and stories on here about SS.

Pity he never wrote a book about what he actually did, and why he did it!

Ed

I wonder, if he wrote a book would it fact or fiction ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Andy Rix said:

I'm very confused .. is Sexton a 'real' label' or just an art thing ?

Andy

11 hours ago, Dave2 said:

Sexton, in this case has been fabricated.  It's a fictitious label made up by the artist as in 'Sexton Blake' - "fake" (cockernee rhyming slang).

This may to add to the North / South divide this is exactly why we have it as "Northern Soul" 

Anything south of Watford confuses things 😀

Social source share

I can't believe some of the absurd and laughable rubbish that appears on this site too often. This sort of thing is an insult to all proper collectors, dancers, and soul fans who have attended the great venues of the 70's, 80's, 90's, and the current 100 club, and deserves all the derision it should qualify for.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This may to add to the North / South divide this is exactly why we have it as "Northern Soul" 

Anything south of Watford confuses things 😀

To be slightly pedantic...and possibly add more confusion..

The dividing line is actually South of Watford Gap services...on the M1 Northamptonshire.

The services are named after the nearby Watford Gap, a crossing point of the limestone ridge just north of the village of Watford; the name is unrelated to that of the town of Watford in Hertfordshire.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Hill868 said:

I can't believe some of the absurd and laughable rubbish that appears on this site too often. This sort of thing is an insult to all proper collectors, dancers, and soul fans who have attended the great venues of the 70's, 80's, 90's, and the current 100 club, and deserves all the derision it should qualify for.

Your opinion is valued, however, the rubbish as well as the good stuff is still and always will be part of history and sometimes need not always be taken seriously (Dave Godin would have certainly agreed)

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!