Any info about this acetate?

• 1 month later...

The label says The Shindigs and the tracks are called Now the loneliness / Cut glass and diamonds. The shindigs that recorded on Parlophone were a male beat group of little note. These are different and have a female lead singer. Different Shindigs perhaps? Its on Emidisc. The only other Shindigs i know of were something to do with pre- Deep Purple but they were all male too.

Social source share

12 hours ago, Chris Garner said:

The label says The Shindigs and the tracks are called Now the loneliness / Cut glass and diamonds. The shindigs that recorded on Parlophone were a male beat group of little note. These are different and have a female lead singer. Different Shindigs perhaps? Its on Emidisc. The only other Shindigs i know of were something to do with pre- Deep Purple but they were all male too.

Thanks for the info! Yes, it doesn't really shed much extra light does it, haha.
Is the flip in the same style?

7 hours ago, Dukeburgundy said:

It's a lovely song and on listening again I 'm inclined to agree that this is probably a singer for whom English is a second language. There aren't many female European singers from the 60/70s I would recognise - Helen Schneider and Mina are exceptions and it's not either of them. Style suggests French or Italian.

I don't think Italian, because Italian girl singers tend to have quite brash vocal style, in contrast with the smooth relaxed style here.
A bit of a leftfield suggestion, but what if the vocalist is South African? Although it's definitely not her, I can imagine Dana Valery might enunciate in a similar way if she was singing this song.

Social source share

Thanks Chris! What a lovely song, and so many hooks....I'm surprised this wasn't released, or even covered by someone else (I can imagine either a Jackie Trent-type singer or a Francoise Hardy-type singer doing well with this...not that the actual vocalist here doesn't do a great job of course)

Social source share

Two really nice tunes. And I'd strongly suggest a British - in fact, an English vocalist and recording. The arrangement, particularly with those horns, sounds classically British 60s soul/pop to me.

And I wonder if it might possibly be the same vocalist as on this unreleased take of the Truly Smith MGM rarity "This is the first time". Maybe?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chris Garner said:

Did you hear both sides 

Sorry, yes, the flip nice too! "Now the loneliness" is definitely the stronger of the two though.

53 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Two really nice tunes. And I'd strongly suggest a British - in fact, an English vocalist and recording. The arrangement, particularly with those horns, sounds classically British 60s soul/pop to me.

And I wonder if it might possibly be the same vocalist as on this unreleased take of the Truly Smith MGM rarity "This is the first time". Maybe?

I don't think it's the same vocalist, but that was a nice listen!
And yes definitely an English production, but the vocalist could have been some other nationality, recording in the UK.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!