Brenda holloway on jm,s

Dobber

Jm has listed an acetate of “lonely boy” on his auction,and it got me wondering about a copy i had and sold in 2004! Pic below!

also mine had jimmy ruffin-gotta let you go,on the back on it!

i suspect mine wasnt real? 

thoughts?7373AF85-A91B-40E0-B52F-D50D95E836A6.jpeg.9d24e79a4a34bb8880d43357eccbefa0.jpeg

Mine looks completely different to the one on jm’s

4EFB9119-0A3A-47A0-BD2F-6EBDD9D20373.thumb.jpeg.ec37cd3662e49f65d2a5c8ebe9aa3054.jpeg

Social source share

In my opinion the one you had Dobber is not authentic .. the picture is poor but looks like the Jobete artwork Miss Ray used for her New York recordings and would never have been used for Detroit tracks 

Brenda recorded the song at Hitsville in Dec 64 .. and Jimmy in Oct 64 ... close together but Jobete, as far as I’m aware, never did 2 sided acetates  ... these were acetates made to ‘promote’ Jobete published songs to the music industry to give non-Motown artists the opportunity to listen to tunes for recording themselves

Robb K could articulate their purpose far better than I 

Andy

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Motown as a company made different kinds of acetates for different purposes.  But, as far as I remember, I can't remember seeing 2 different types of Jobete Music Co. labels, other than 7 inch, 10 inch and 12 inch sizes.  It was Motown Record Co. that pressed acetates for demos, that had sound recording co. labels, and other label designs.  I don't remember seeing any Jobete Music proof of ownership acetates having been recorded on both sides, nor using the label design on the blurred photo, certainly not on any that were recorded in Detroit.  I do remember seeing some acetates with a somewhat similar label design to that shown in the blurred photo, but can't remember if they were Motown Record Corp. or Jobete Music Co. acetates.  It may be that Jobete Music, N.Y. used that label for demo acetates.  But they wouldn't have been demoing a Brenda Holloway sung song, which was recorded in Detroit.  The proof-of-ownership acetates for songs that were written by New York's Jobete Office's writers, with Brenda as the ultimate singer would have been sung by a N.Y. Office singer, like Tamala Lewis, Norma Jenkins, Carol Moore, or the like.  A Brenda  Holloway acetate for such a song would have been made for a different purpose, such as for use by Quality Control, in Detroit, and would have been pressed at Motown, or in a local, Detroit sound studio - NOT by Jobete Music, N.Y.  And it wouldn't have a Jobete Music Co. label on it, but, rather, a Motown Corp. label, non-owner indicated generic typed label, with little information, or an outside sound recording studio label.

Jobete N.Y. would have made acetates only of the songs written by their staff for potential use by East Coast non-Motown artists, and only sung by their own staff singers. 

If I could see the label better, it might trigger my memory for remembering any oddity that wasn't memorable enough for me to recall, at the drop of a hat.  I'm a very visual person, and seeing something from many years ago would take me back to that long-past time, just as hearing old sounds, or smelling old smells do.  It's been 40+ years since I was at Motown, so, I need a little help for obscure less-memorable memories.

If a gun were put to my head and I had to guess correctly, I'd guess that it isn't a true, normal, Jobete Music proof-of-ownership acetate.  But, I can't rule it out as a possible legitimate original Motown pressing, until I see it with decent clarity.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 2
Social source share

It seems someone either got ahold of a blank Jobete Music Co. New York label, or photocopied one, and placed it on a new acetate made of Brenda Holloway on one side and Jimmy Ruffin on the other.  It most likely is a recent concoction, not an original from the 1960s, as Detroit operatives didn't use Jobete N.Y. labels, and didn't make 2-sided acetates, and didn't place 2 different artists on 7 inch acetates (although they DID sometimes have different artists on the larger ones).  I can't see a situation in which The New York Jobete Office would have made an acetate pairing two unreleased songs by two different artists who recorded those songs in Detroit.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Also, by the time Brenda completed "Lonely Boy" (according to the DFTMS , it was December 28, 1964), there was no Jobete Music New York in existence. I don't have an exact date, but I believe the offices were closed shortly  after the "My Guy" bootleg situation was discovered. 

And, as you can see Raynoma was busy getting Shrine off the ground in early December 1964- 

Ram.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, The Yank said:

Also, by the time Brenda completed "Lonely Boy" (according to the DFTMS , it was December 28, 1964), there was no Jobete Music New York in existence. I don't have an exact date, but I believe the offices were closed shortly  after the "My Guy" bootleg situation was discovered. 

And, as you can see Raynoma was busy getting Shrine off the ground in early December 1964- 

Ram.jpg

Good point!  It's obvious that a NS (or at least General Soul) record dealer copied Jobete Music N.Y.'s official demo record label, strictly to use in confusing collectors into thinking post 2000 acetates are 1960s Motown in-house originals, for the express purpose of being able to sell them at high collectors' prices (with the fallback that when they are accused of fraud, they can always claim they found these "records" as is, and simply didn't know whether, or not, they were 1960s originals.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Great info and insight guys,as i suspected,mine was in all likeliness a boot of soughts!

i also had at the same time a 6” audiodisc of patrice Holloway-for the love of mike,thats was probably fake too! 

since these two,ive stayed away from acetates! They arent worth the worry unless they have concrete provenience! 

thanks for your insights people!👍

Edited by Dobber
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!