Ramsey Lewis Cover Up

Johnnie K
Go to solution Solved by Robbk,

Dear Soul Fans,

Could someone help me please - a soul fan for New Zealand - a land so far away it's tomorrow. There is a Ramsey Lewis cover up of what I recall being called: Down At The Jetty or something like that - which turns out to be a Belgian jazz group - I think. Someone in the United Kingdom will know. I love Ramsey Lewis and soul jazz piano. And I liked this tune. But I just can't remember the song title, the band, or the name given to it by the northern soul Deejay. Thank you: from Johnnie K.

Social source share

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH TO YOU ALL FOR REPLYING. I LOVE THE TUNE AND COULD NEVER FIND A RAMSEY LEWIS TRACK CALLED: DOWN BY THE WATERHOLE [THOUGH HE DID RECORD A SONG CALLED DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE ON THE LATIN JAZZ LP WHICH IS REALLY GOOD].

IF YOU CAN APPRECIATE THAT I AM 12,000 MILES AWAY AND COMPLETELY OUT OF TOUCH. SO I AM THANKFUL.

IN THE END IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT IT'S CALLED. IT'S THE MUSIC. IT'S A GREAT TUNE. THEY DID A GREAT JOB. AND SO DID YOU ALL.

YOU NORTHERN SOUL FANS ARE ALL REALLY GREAT AND INCREDIBLY HELPFUL. I EXPRESS MY INCREDIBLE GRATITUDE.

FROM JOHNNIE K. IN AUCKLAND New Zealand

Social source share

On 16/10/2021 at 17:22, Robbk said:

I like it.  But any Ramsey Lewis fan can tell that's NOT him playing the piano.

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH TO YOU FOR REPLYING. I LOVE THE TUNE AND COULD NEVER FIND A RAMSEY LEWIS TRACK CALLED: DOWN BY THE WATERHOLE [THOUGH HE DID RECORD A SONG CALLED DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE ON THE LATIN JAZZ LP WHICH IS REALLY GOOD].

IF YOU CAN APPRECIATE THAT I AM 12,000 MILES AWAY AND COMPLETELY OUT OF TOUCH. SO I AM THANKFUL.

IN THE END IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT IT'S CALLED. IT'S THE MUSIC. IT'S A GREAT TUNE. THEY DID A GREAT JOB. AND SO DID YOU.

THE NORTHERN SOUL FANS ARE ALL REALLY GREAT AND INCREDIBLY HELPFUL. I EXPRESS MY INCREDIBLE GRATITUDE.

FROM JOHNNIE K. IN AUCKLAND New Zealand

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

I'd have gone for the chocolate boys...had an Aquarius copy from Scarborough about 77 after I heard it a Rudies..

But you are right, Ramsey churned out a copy of almost everything, so he would have been copied.

One of my faves...with a bit of soul sauce infused..

Ed

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH TO YOU FOR REPLYING. I LOVE THE TUNE AND COULD NEVER FIND A RAMSEY LEWIS TRACK CALLED: DOWN BY THE WATERHOLE [THOUGH HE DID RECORD A SONG CALLED DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE ON THE LATIN JAZZ LP WHICH IS REALLY GOOD].

IN THE END IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT IT'S CALLED. IT'S THE MUSIC. IT'S A GREAT TUNE. THEY DID A GREAT JOB. AND SO DID YOU.

THE NORTHERN SOUL FANS ARE ALL REALLY GREAT AND INCREDIBLY HELPFUL. I EXPRESS MY INCREDIBLE GRATITUDE.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Nickinstoke said:

It also came out on Aquarius in the UK (credited to the Chocolat’s) about 2 years later, B side both times. There doesn’t seem to be much difference in price between the two releases.

On 16/10/2021 at 17:50, davidwapples said:

On decca  in the uk, used to be about 65 pounds when first covered up but now you should get one for about 15 pounds max

Social source share

Not sure about the soul scene or Northern soul scene in NZ...but there's regular news and contributions on here from your neighbours in Australia!

Nothing quite like 1000 folks dancing to wade in the water, with the standard synchronised hand clapping!....or the in crowd for that matter:)

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

30 minutes ago, The Yank said:

I'm confused-  if it wasn't the Chocolate Boys "Voltaire Pier" what song was it ??

It is "Voltaire Pier" by Chocolat Boys covered up as Ramsey Lewis: "Down By The Waterhole". There is a Ramsey Lewis song with a similar title being a version of "Down By The Riverside" on the Latin Jazz LP hence it is easy to be led astray. The Belgian/French group Chocolat Boys did a good job: Johnnie K in Auckland, New Zealand.

Social source share

25 minutes ago, The Yank said:

If that's true, how did the person who said it doesn't even sound like Ramsey Lewis get  credit for providing the solution ?????????

I'm not sure that's the case...you got the credit....and Robbk simply said it did not sound like RL...but still liked it.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!