Levanna McClean teaches Northern Soul

7 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Courtesy of BBC News...

Click for video:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-bristol-59429742

I thought this would be another yawn fest . But no Lev really gets it and is all over the scene anyway. As she says it's about listening to the music.

If you don't get the music though what's the point of dancing to it.....

Social source share

29 minutes ago, Johnlloyd said:

I  went to a do on Friday night from 10 until 3 organised by Lev and her mother Eve, who some may know.

The event was a sell out prior to opening, 150ish at a guess.

90% of attendees were between 25 and 35, Lev's hard work has paid off in Bristol.

Not all records played were "traditional" northern, but the floor was packed all night.

There is a demand here for something other than the usual electronic shite played at most other "young" people's nightclubs.

Hopefully that was the first of many.

Well done Lev.

Thats great stuff !!! really good to hear ....more power to her !!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Johnlloyd said:

I  went to a do on Friday night from 10 until 3 organised by Lev and her mother Eve, who some may know.

The event was a sell out prior to opening, 150ish at a guess.

90% of attendees were between 25 and 35, Lev's hard work has paid off in Bristol.

Not all records played were "traditional" northern, but the floor was packed all night.

There is a demand here for something other than the usual electronic shite played at most other "young" people's nightclubs.

Hopefully that was the first of many.

Well done Lev.

So what were the records that weren't northern, out of curiosity?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

So what were the records that weren't northern, out of curiosity?

Unknown to me, played by a young DJ whose name I should know as I met him last year.

Mainly 70s funky/disco. Although I do him a disservice as he could give a better reply. He went down very well, cheers and applause after each record.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

All positive and more power to her, that’s cool so many from that age group attend.  To be honest though always make me blush, if there was a camera I’d be well at the back…

I think the future is here, I know that’s an obvious statement but with all the new music coming through and it’s just poured out since 2006-7 hasn’t it, northern soul will be the overall banner? or just a genre that will be played at a larger more inclusive scene…

Mal

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Coolnotes said:

Ive some respect for her passion and commitment for the music and desire to spread the word to a younger generation.  An error to suggest "its never reached over to young people' evidenced by many a film clip. Is her venue posted on Soul Source ? R 

Totally agree with you on the error.  Never reached over to young people.  1975 first nighter   I was 16 how young does she mean ? 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 28/11/2021 at 12:03, Johnlloyd said:

Unknown to me, played by a young DJ whose name I should know as I met him last year.

Mainly 70s funky/disco. Although I do him a disservice as he could give a better reply. He went down very well, cheers and applause after each record.

Jack Phillips? Great fella.

Social source share

My little brother went and wasn't all that impressed, he didn't think they played much 'proper northern', although as he's more into Jazz funk I'll take that as 'mainstream northern'.

He also thought it was amusing that drinks were evident on the floor when in our little club anyone daring to do that would be very quickly re-educated!* I wish her luck & she clearly did well by finding a venue in Bristol since everyone else seems to struggle.

Bristol needs a regular night and if they get an OV one anytime soon, we'll be there, guaranteed.

We had high hopes for Shrine of souls but that was never repeated so the last really regular events (other than go-go all-nighters) must've been the icerink & rock pile back in the day.

* I have to be fair here though -with all the spiking arse*oles out there in younger peoples clubs I can't really blame people for keeping hold of a drink at all costs.

Edited by Timbo58
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

On 28/11/2021 at 14:16, Fish Fingers said:

I think It's great to see the young uns getting into it. 

It would be a waste if it died out with all us older bods. And it's also testament to how good the scene is (not to mention the music) to still be going strong after 40+ years. 

IMO Lev has done more than anyone to promote it to the next generation. 

And I also think it's healthy that the next generation have their own spin on it and do it their way, rather than just mirroring what had been done before. 

I take my hat off to the girl... 

Totally agree!

Social source share

Some of the questions/opinions to come out of 'Lev's thread throw up some surprising, yet not far fetched. thoughts

What will the scene be like in 40-50 yrs time....No WMC , no high st bars to cater for the scene,,,the dancefloor part of the scene almost none existent

Will it go underground...literally cheeky houseparty's where anything goes........ summer festivals (tent music) ?

Online sessions like through the pandemic ?

Will it become a weekender scene..is it sustainable ?

Will it become a collectors scene only ?

Come on lets hear some visionary points of view

We all agree we need to see 'young bloods' taking it forward...but where can they take it ?

Admin remove this if could be integrated into original Lev's thread

• Up vote 3
Social source share

59 minutes ago, Jez Jones said:

Admin remove this if could be integrated into original Lev's thread

cheers for that

losing the will to live here

odds are we are just gonna get the same old same old arguments/points/people going back and forwards with each other again and again

haven't we had enough of that for today at least

can't see anything to be gained by having a third similar topic running right now, maybe post again in a few days

so feel best close it for now

thanks

merged into other topic

Edited by Source
merged
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I read the posts to date but have to say of no interest to me at all so no intentions of posting views, but got Radio 5Live on while preparing food for tea later and on the Nihal Arthnayake show Navana Mc Clean due on shortly to be interviewed about Northern Soul and her Current Favourite Northern Soul etc. So  she putting herself about a lot on the BBC it would seem  

Edited by Rick Scott
text correction
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

I read the posts to date but have to say of no interest to means at all so no intentions of posting views, but got Radio 5Live on while preparing food for tea later and on the Nihal Arthnayake show Navana Mc Clean due on shortly to be interviewed about Northern Soul and her Current Favourite Northern Soul CD So  she putting herself about a lot on the BBC it would seem  

Blimey buddy what a staggering coincidence that is 😀

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!