The Turks

shelly

16 hours ago, shelly said:

Anyone seen one of these before?

Brazilian only pairing I believe, nice to know there’s stuff out there that still not known in respect to releases😎

2E665533-FAEB-4FFE-A305-5C52F6AAD844.jpeg

3AA16949-83B1-4F6A-8188-25625E482A44.jpeg

Maybe some reissue ? Interesting tho. 

On the orig DJO label its "You Turn me on / Generation Gap". 

YTMO is a personal fave. A powerful, rumbling, moody track with great vocals.

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
Social source share

54 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Maybe some reissue ? Interesting tho. 

On the orig DJO label its "You Turn me on / Generation Gap". 

YTMO is a personal fave. A powerful, rumbling, moody track with great vocals.

its stamped january 1971 so definitely a contemporary release IMO. the USA copies are from 1970

Edited by Dave Pinch
Social source share

Joda had the rights to DRO, JaWes, Deluxe etc, for Brazil.

So they used to cherry pick artistes and releases, hence putting this pairing together.

They also used to mix artists, example Helen Curry So Sad DRO J 0110 with Little Hite & Soul Rockers A While Ago Ja Wes 3007 .

This was a reflection of what was being played in the Rio clubs at that time.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 05/12/2021 at 13:52, shelly said:

Joda had the rights to DRO, JaWes, Deluxe etc, for Brazil.

So they used to cherry pick artistes and releases, hence putting this pairing together.

They also used to mix artists, example Helen Curry So Sad DRO J 0110 with Little Hite & Soul Rockers A While Ago Ja Wes 3007 .

This was a reflection of what was being played in the Rio clubs at that time.

Pm'd you Shelly, did you see it?  I'll be blunt, do you want to sell this 45?

Mal

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Pm'd you Shelly, did you see it?  I'll be blunt, do you want to sell this 45?

Mal

Didn’t receive any pm, but was sold 10 minutes after finding.Going into a collection, but thought people might like to see before it goes to the UK.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

When Willie was interviewed there appeared to be no mention of the group members, do we know why ?

No but, if you go by Discogs, the Turks are the same group as the Dontells. Group members were  Nate Pendleton, Leroy Dandridge, Larry Nestor and Willie Weems. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Mal C said:

np, but you should check your in-box for the future, I did send you an pm yesterday, you might have won the pools and never knew it!!  laughing

Great 45....

I don’t do soul source messaging as I rarely view these days.

The only reason for posting is that it’s going into someone's collection and unlikely to be seen again for a good while.

Edited by shelly
Social source share

27 minutes ago, shelly said:

I don’t do soul source messaging as I rarely view these days.

Ans as I said, was sold 10 minutes after finding, which was 6 hours before posting on here.

The only reason for posting is that it’s going into someone's collection and unlikely to be seen again for a good while.

So, obviously mistaken, thought people might like to see it as there was no previous record of that issue anywhere.

It is a brilliant post and I am not at all surprised it sold so rapidly.

I always love labels that press names incorrectly Mr Weems would be well happy

The production credit is interesting Pedrinho as opposed to James Shelton (Chicago). may it be a mistake or a remix perhaps ?

Social source share

Pedrinho sling with Ademir Lemos was one of the 2 legendary dj’s in Rio at the end of the 60’s/70’s, principally Le Bateau club in Copacabana.

They made club mix LP’s and god knows what.

If you look on the Rare Foreign Northern Facebook group you’ll see some comp albums where both “produced” by Pedrinho

But playing Wally Cox, Darryll Stewart , George Tindley, Willie & the Magnificients plus a shed load more like Helen Curry et al before we knew of them says it all.

"As máximas do Pedrinho", Brazilian Deluxe compilation on Joda, Mary Queenie Lyons LP was issued in Brazil under that label too, they had Deluxe rights

Manhattans "I can't stand for you to leave me" among many other interesting tracks from Mickey Murray, James Duncan, Albert Washington and The Presidents, same guys who recorded the Spanish 45 only "It's your thing" version

Edited by shelly
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!