Al Green, Hot Line, Palmer, Peoples Choice

Blackpoolsoul

Great info!

How interesting that the original members parted ways quite early on but the group name lived on through new band members. "Savin' My Lovin' For You" is a firm favourite of mine. So much energy and emotion in that track! Another Richard "Popcorn" Wylie (and let's not forget Tony Hester & Andrew "Mike" Terry) winner! DETROIT 60's SOUL MASTERPIECE! 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this thread Curtis played in The Creations at El Grotto Lounge. Gene Mason, Curtis Rogers, Lee Virgis, Jr. Walker, Al Greene, Willie Woods.  

It was at El Grotto where Jr. Walker and the All Stars were noticed by Johnny Bristol, soul singer and producer for Motown Records who was living in Battle Creek at the time. He recommended the group to Harvey Fuqua, who signed them to his label in 1962. Tri-Phi records was eventually absorbed by Motown, the label where Jr. Walker and the All Stars scored 21 entries on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

What a fantastic name for a club, wonder if Santa ever went (topical joke)

https://eu.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/news/2019/07/11/el-grotto-club-torn-down-al-green-jr-walker-battle-creek/1671787001/

Creations.jpeg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1884132988_Capturedecran2021-12-23a19_34_28.thumb.png.40eda934c3d692e9e84149455e12839d.png

There's a whole story behind this odd and unusual first top left copy and the later Grand Land & Amy-Mala-Bell pick-up for (inter) national distribution... With few months appart between the releases.

And ever since to my ears the striking resemblance between the People's Choice's 'easy to be true' with Al Greene's 'back up train' and his 'don't leave me' with theirs 'savin' all my lovin'' is so there.

Here's an excerpt from a 2014 OP on here in regard of my odd & unusual pressing. Turns out to be the first small run press whith the later Grand Land local re-press next to the Amy-Mala-Bell one.

One of the first groups that Grand Land Records signed People’s Choice, which featured lead singer George Lowe. The group was signed to a 2 album per year record deal and released their first single entitled “Hot Wire” in a studio in the basement of Phil Robert’s dad’s basement.

With 2000 records pressed, the song was introduced to a local black station and received immediate and constant airplay.

The group was off to Detroit to record their second release, written by Palmer James, “Saving My Lovin”. New doors began to open, including a gig at Detroit’s famed Twenty Grand Club. All of the upcoming and major stars played the Club.

Unfortunately, half way through the groups tour schedule, George Lowe decided return home to Grand Rapids, to be closer to his wife and family leaving the group without a lead singer.

Curtis called Al Green and asked him to stand in as lead singer; Al agreed and finished out the tour with the group.

“The best thing about working with Al Green is that he did what he was suppose to do and that was it,” Rodgers said. “He is a tremendous artist with a smooth as silk voice.”

After being invited to officially join the group, Al Green decided to be a solo act and signed on with Hot Line Music Journal, a label under the umbrella of Grand Land Records. His first single on the label, “Back Up Train”, was written by Curtis Rodgers and Palmer James. Palmer also wrote a song on the flip side of record entitled “Don’t Leave Me”.

To their disappointment, radio was not as kind to the label as they had hoped.

“We tried to get the radio stations in Grand Rapids to play “Back Up Train” but they refused at first,” Curtis added.

“Palmer wanted to give up, but I took the record WCHB in Detroit and within a few months, it had shot to number one, right of above Marvin Gaye’s “Heard it Through The Grape Vine”.

What Curtis Rodgers is not telling here (read that story elsewhere but where...) is that he stood on Detroit's main streets next to phone booths giving coins to bums willing to call the radio stations requesting them to play 'back up train'. And that forced the air-play to find it's way to the ears of Amy-Bell-Mala executives. Few months later.

Within those few months the young Al Green thought he gave it his best shot at it with a fabulous record that no radio would even push...When he was just about to throw it all away that Amy-Bell-Mala deal came up. Once that little "success" bulb burst out he got to meet Willie Mitchell for another leap into another music business realm...

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
On 24/12/2021 at 09:53, Blackpoolsoul said:

I will be interested to know what its says about The Creations, as it seems there is some confusion in some write ups

According to Keith Rylatt's "Groovesville USA" , group members were Al Greene, Curtis Rogers, Lee Virgis, Gene Mason and Palmer James. The confusion comes from  a Chicago group with the same name that  was recording around the same time. 

Edited by The Yank
Social source share

36 minutes ago, The Yank said:

According to Keith Rylatt's "Groovesville USA" , group members were Al Greene, Curtis Rogers, Lee Virgis, Gene Mason and Palmer James. The confusion comes from  a Chicago group with the same name that  was recording around the same time. 

The ones on Penny and Take Ten from late 1962 you mean. Or the ones on Mel-O-Dy (July 1962) from Detroit ?

Obviouly not the other ones on Globe that are later from 1966 and onward became the Contributors of soul.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

The ones on Penny and Take Ten from late 1962 you mean. Or the ones on Mel-O-Dy (July 1962) from Detroit ?

Obviouly not the other ones on Globe that are later from 1966 and onward became the Contributors of soul.

You've completely lost me ! The Creations Zodiac single came out in "67 and the Globe singles are from 1966 and 1967.  The Al Greene 45 also came out in 1967.

With that said, why are you bringing up groups that had singles in 1962/ 1963 ??

Edited by The Yank
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

You've completely lost me ! The Creations Zodiac single came out in "67 and the Globe singles are from 1966 and 1967.  The Al Greene 45 also came out in 1967.

With that said, why are you bringing up groups that had singles in 1962/ 1963 ??

Yeah OK, my bad, sorry. These Fabulous Creations are never really 'dated' (mid 1965 once...) and re-reading the whole thing I got the earlier formations named the Enchanters (how less common...) mixed-up. That would have been contemporary. But you're right then about the Globe boys name forcing the change of name for Al's gang.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!