Frank Gino "Papermoon and Adam & Eve"

Mal C

Just reading a Doo Wop site about Frank Gino, we know his music via his Royal Crest side 'It's Only A Paper Moon' which was very trendy in the late 9ts, but a revelation to me, he was the lead singer with The Reflections on the classic "Like Adam And Eve" ABC.   Frank also recorded solo as Darin D.Anna and as Lead singer of the group The High And Mighty.  I'm assuming the ABC Reflections are not the same as on Went, and the Capitol group in the early 7ts... dont sound anyway near. He was also in Early Doo Wop group The Royal Aires on Gallo Records, and The Del-Quin's an unrecorded group from Long Island.

Interesting singer, I wonder did he record anything else with a Northern edge, or in a Soul Groove?

Mal

Gino - It's Only A Paper Moon.png

amadeo1.jpg

gino.jpg

The Reflections - Like Adam & Eve.jpg

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Interesting, he's a Doo Woper for sure, but looks like he was involved in some good recordings. Maybe not of the calibre of someone like Dean Parish, but I like his music.

Did you notice the Don Costa credit on the Reflections ABC 45, links with the Eddie Regan thread below this one...

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Gino and Papermoon was a late 80s biggie for Guy, I bought his copy or a spare off him.  I remember selling it 91/92 and it paid for a hotel room for Parkers on NYE :) 

was this yours from the tracky club chalks.. i certainly remember it from there.. not sure if derek or bub woulda played it.. i remember derek having one later tho

Social source share

First time I heard it was in the late 80’s at the Severn Soul Club at Perdiswell in Worcester. I seem to remember the DJ was Steve Smith.

Gino was one of a great three in a row that I’d never heard before; the other two being Goodbye Cruel Love by Linda Griner and It’ll Never Be Over For Me by Timi Yuro.

Happy days!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Mal C said:

Just reading a Doo Wop site about Frank Gino, we know his music via his Royal Crest side 'It's Only A Paper Moon' which was very trendy in the late 9ts, but a revelation to me, he was the lead singer with The Reflections on the classic "Like Adam And Eve" ABC.   Frank also recorded solo as Darin D.Anna and as Lead singer of the group The High And Mighty.  I'm assuming the ABC Reflections are not the same as on Went, and the Capitol group in the early 7ts... dont sound anyway near. He was also in Early Doo Wop group The Royal Aires on Gallo Records, and The Del-Quin's an unrecorded group from Long Island.

Interesting singer, I wonder did he record anything else with a Northern edge, or in a Soul Groove?

Mal

Gino - It's Only A Paper Moon.png

amadeo1.jpg

gino.jpg

The Reflections - Like Adam & Eve.jpg

Are the Reflections on ABC a different group to the Golden World group? I thought Tony Michaels was the lead singer?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Guy first played it on a radio show in May 0f 1988, probably played it at Mexborough that weekend which was 21st May I think (I was listening to the radio show the other day by coincidence).  That was the first know plays on the scene, it was unknown and covered upon as Gino and the Crests I think.  It was the same time as Eddie Whitehead was played, all bought in the same trip to the States according to Guy on the show, Bleu Lights being another.

Thinking this might be the night there was a photoshoot in the back alley, with a great black and white photo of butch, Minshull and Guy. It came out a magazine, short lived, think it was called soul underground? Incidentally I can remember seeing a copy for sale at the 100 club not long after, for £100, think Mick Smith had it. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Can’t say whether the site I got that from was right or wrong, but maybe there had  been a change of lead singer between the groups ?  As I say that’s what this Doo Wop collector had stated.  Might need to have a listen to both…

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

In the liner notes to "Northern Soul's Classiest Rarities 2", there's an interview with Gino who says he did replace Tony Michaels as the lead singer of the Reflections . Gino never tells how this happened. I guess Tony decided to stay with Golden World while the rest of the group went to ABC . 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

The Don Costa production probably does have some bearing. Another option is that Gino (now going by Darrin D'Anna) and the Reflections were both part of 1965's "Shower Of Stars" tour. They probably became friendly and remembered Gino when they were looking for a lead singer.

S.O.S.jpg

Edited by The Yank
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Torch56 said:

Fairly sure Guy played Paper Moon on Terry Christian's show on Radio Derby, late 80s.

He did, it's the show I mention above, between 14th and 21st May, it was the first time on the radio and never at a venue as far as we knew then.  Whitchurch on the 14th is the first time Eddie Whitehead was played.  21st was the first Mexborough all-nighter where these all probably got a spin.  Guy had not long been back from the States with Chris King.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!