Show us your great photos 2022

Amsterdam Russ

Happy New Year to one and all. A new year means a new beginning, so here is what is now the 10th Soul Source photography thread.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed over the years, whether by posting up pics, commenting on them, or simply liking them.

My first contribution is a short iPhone slo-mo vid of some fireworks as seen from our balcony as 2021 departed and 2022 began.

Here's to a great year ahead!

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 2
Social source share

This week's BBC News "Your pictures of Scotland" offers a great selection of photos taken by readers. I particularly liked this sunrise.

_122747276_charlesmacmanawaysunriseresiz

Source: BBC News / © Charles MacManaway

Pics here: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-60023556

It's a bit dull and grey over here for going out with the camera, but hopefully that'll change soon.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'm guessing that with the continuously poor weather, people here haven't had much in the way of chances for photo opportunities. That's certainly the case here in NL where it seems to be never-ending blustery winds, rain and grey skies. It doesn't look like that's going to change for the next week or so, which is a real shame. I can't wait to get back out again.

In the meantime, "Your pictures of Scotland: 28 January - 4 February", courtesy of the BBC News website, provides some inspiration.

Lots of great pics, and I particularly like this one of a swan in flight. I would have been well happy if I'd taken that myself.

_123131609_loreenaprice.jpg

Source: BBC News / © Loreena Price

Pics here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-60202060

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 30/01/2022 at 12:15, Mal C said:

My family were at Oggmore Beach yesterday, just down from Porthcawl. Good oppo for the old silhouette shot...

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2030.jpeg

I've lived up in Yorkshire since I was 4 yrs old. But was born in Penllyn, which is a small village near Cowbridge. Still got some family down there and always make a point of getting to Oggmore and Southerndown when we visit. Six Nations is always a time of mixed feelings as well. 

Hugh

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Courtesy of Sky News - Storm Eunice in pictures.

Although no acknowledgement is given, I take it these are pics sent in by members of the public. The page will be updated through the day, so it'll be worth checking back for new additions.

skynews-tow-law-county-durham_5677384.jp

Source: Sky News / Photo: uncredited

Link here:

https://news.sky.com/story/storm-eunice-in-pictures-snow-and-strong-winds-across-the-uk-12544948

Keep safe and stay cosy, everyone, and hold on to your hat!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is obviously not my image , but I think it needs posting if only as a taster of what delights are heading our way shortly from the marvel that is the James Webb Space Telescope ... :thumbup:

And who better than the delightfully excitable Dr Becky to explain it all for you ... 🥰

• Up vote 2
Social source share

A gloriously sunny day here in NL, so we took the opportunity to get the balcony boxes and other plant pots filled again. Primula and viola for us this year, in the main - blooms all summer long and brilliantly low maintenance. Bring it on…

FB56F7A4-7262-44A6-B9A0-20A56FC88F17.thumb.jpeg.868d183e737a654a457587bd4f9d635f.jpeg

And yes, that is a classic Dutch windmill in the background. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Can't actually remember how long it is since I tried a bit of solar imaging , trying to piece together the rig from umpteen boxes following a house move proved interesting but nowhere near as interesting as trying to remember my processing 'recipe' ... :rolleyes:

Anyway , enough waffling , here's the efforts for what they're worth , standard 'whitelight along with an inverted view and a 'coloured in' offering just for the hell of it ...

2.thumb.png.812827fed52aee66104f765d46f8f5f4.png

2inv.thumb.png.a0f945d440a44ebb16120c82e59592a1.png

2col.thumb.png.a903b8e071f42c53c5df2740071b511e.png

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Courtesy of the BBC News website:

The winners of the Scottish Nature Photography Awards 2021 have been announced.

The overall winner is landscape photographer Darren Cole, whose winning image portrays a dramatic scene of a muirburn fire, a controlled fire to burn away dead vegetation, below snow-covered peaks near his home on the Isle of Harris.

_123935084_darrencole.jpg

© Darren Cole

Lots of great photos that have rightly won awards. Check them out here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-60912679

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Sorry for the self indulgence...but been to hell and back. On the way home now with no finger nails left.

Ed

A football match, obviously - and in a very empty stadium - but as someone who stopped following the 'beautiful game' many years ago, I've no idea what we're seeing beyond some very tiny figures on a pitch. Was it important?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Lower league Cup final.

My team were losing 1 0, then 2 1, then 6 minutes into injury time, we equalise.

In Extra time, we eventually win 4 2,

I stopped watching the ' big teams' 22 years ago.

Ed

Well done to the team you support - and thanks for the explanation about the pic. :thumbsup:

Social source share